The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Default $9000 Ukulele!!!

out of reach for most of us (money wise and interest wise), but still a rare find and beauty.

I've been spending time in the mandolin community and folks i'll tell you, these small instruments can cost a bunch. most serious beginning mandolin players don't blink at a $4000 price to get a good playing instrument(think along the level of a Taylor 3 series). some of the more advanced players/owners drop $15000(think Taylor 8 series) and on up to $100,000 for a top tier mandolin with special breeding(Gibson Loar).

we have it real nice in guitarland, trust me
MassStreet is a great shop and for me, a well trusted shop. so I have no doubt this is NOT inflated and is current market value based on the model, condition and rarity. I doubt it lasts long.

http://massstreetmusic.com/collectio...5k-soprano-uke

NFI, just thought you'd like to see something different
d
Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM

The Holy Grail for any serious uke player, their equivalent of the prewar D-45...
Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM

Nice, but I would prefer either one of the below plus a great cup of coffee.

Noa of Ko'olau does some phenomenal work. Listen to the videos with a pair of nice headphones. Beautiful.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/koolau...p-tenor-2.html

http://www.theukulelesite.com/koolau...p-tenor-3.html

Last edited by jetjammer; 08-23-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Proper enlglish.... :-)
Old 08-22-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
<snip>... and on up to $100,000 for a top tier mandolin with special breeding(Gibson Loar).
If you find an F5 Loar at this price you should figure out a way to buy it.

They used to sell right around $225,000. They have come down a bit. I think Thile paid somewhere around $180,000 for his second one a few months back.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
out of reach for most of us (money wise and interest wise), but still a rare find and beauty.

I've been spending time in the mandolin community and folks i'll tell you, these small instruments can cost a bunch. most serious beginning mandolin players don't blink at a $4000 price to get a good playing instrument(think along the level of a Taylor 3 series). some of the more advanced players/owners drop $15000(think Taylor 8 series) and on up to $100,000 for a top tier mandolin with special breeding(Gibson Loar).

we have it real nice in guitarland, trust me
MassStreet is a great shop and for me, a well trusted shop. so I have no doubt this is NOT inflated and is current market value based on the model, condition and rarity. I doubt it lasts long.

http://massstreetmusic.com/collectio...5k-soprano-uke

NFI, just thought you'd like to see something different
d

I constantly look at the mando classified's on the cafe..All I can say they are NUTS...5000.00 mandos, cash only or something like it..Most keep em for a few years and wanna re-coup their dumb spending on someone else...I suppose I should ask 3500.00 for my 1700.00 Collings (no, not worth it either) and see what happens !!!
Old 08-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Here is a bit different perspective on this...

First, I have learned that there is a vintage market for SOME ukuleles, and that particular Martin is THE ONE in the ukulele world. I don't see that as any different than pre-war Martin guitars, other than that the guitars go for FAR more.

I can remember in the 60s and 70s, people were absolutely appalled if a guitar cost more than a few hundred or maybe a thousand dollars, and that is simply a continuation of the prejudice from the classical world on the guitar for more than a hundred years before that. Yet, nobody seemed to think it out of line for a fine violin to cost upwards of a hundred thousand. Violins can be so expensive that the musician actually has a wealthy sponsor who buys the violin and loans it to the musician to play concerts with.

Some years ago, there was the occasional discussion on the acoustic usenet group and possibly even here about this disparity in general public opinion.

After guitar players had been on the receiving end of that prejudice for so many years (yes, for a long time the guitar was largely considered little more than a toy outside the classical realm, and in the classical realm, largely ignored aside from one or two acknowledged masters of the instrument), it is really ironic to me that they would turn around and do the same thing to ukulele and mandolin players. Of course, those who are not aware of this history are doomed to repeat it, and doing so does nothing but cause hard feelings between those who espouse this sentiment and those who play the instruments that are the butt of it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM

It's all relative, and musicians have pretty thin skins. To be told by someone ignorant of artistry, luthiery, music, etc.. that paying x amount of money on x instrument is crazy is just a shrug-off and a move on, no educating necessary. They feel how they feel, and that's that.

I remember a bunch of years ago being in a guitar shop and a fella came in to show the repairman a beautiful uke, said he paid 800$ for it. I had to hold my disbelief in check, but when he left it was a laugh. 800 for a really nice looking toy? Crazy people in this world.

A mandolin though, that's a respected instrument in the mainstream, think country, Bill, etc. A uke? No one really knows any virtuosos out there that have really hit the main, as it hasn't been a mainstay in any real popular music, only a passing fad with Eddie Vetter and a few others. It's "charming", but serious?... no. Sure, the odd real popular song, like Rainbow by Iz, but it what was the draw, the uke, his voice, or his charming slaughter of the lyrics? I'm going with the last 2.

Nope, so far, the uke is a fad with a select following, if it's used in mainstream, it's usually as a prop or a rhythm instrument and not a solo. No one has managed to capture a crowd, not even that Jake fella, popular in some circles, but not mainstream enough to help create a new genre of music. Bluegrass and country music wouldn't be the same without a little mandolin, banjo, fiddle, and flattop guitar. Jazz wouldn't be the same without the bass, sax, guitar, etc. Blues? C'mon..Uke? Where's that ukeblues guy? All we got left is Hawaiian music which wouldn't be the same, and we all know just how mainstream that is.

But speaking on a personal note, I'm hankering for a 50's Martin Style 3, without all that bling, but still 17 frets, no one would notice but me.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

It is not necessary for somebody famous to play the ukulele to make it a viable instrument, though I can understand that sentiment in our culture where media is king and dictates what is acceptable. Crafts people make all manner of beautiful things and charge accordingly. The ukulele can be considered in that light if not as a musical instrument.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Sweet uke!

By the way, I love their website. They show you the instrument and the price. Can't stand the higher end acoustic instrument vendors that don't show you the price. Rant over....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratLes View Post
I constantly look at the mando classified's on the cafe..All I can say they are NUTS...5000.00 mandos, cash only or something like it..Most keep em for a few years and wanna re-coup their dumb spending on someone else...I suppose I should ask 3500.00 for my 1700.00 Collings (no, not worth it either) and see what happens !!!
I can tell you what would happen. You'd be met by the sounds of crickets. As far as I can tell, there are alot of Lawyers and Accountants who take up the mandolin. There were a large number of them at a Camp I went to last year. They have deep pockets, but they're not stupid.

If you paid 1700 for a Collings you got a good deal. The bottom end model MT goes for 2600, and as a rule of thumb over at the Cafe you take off 20% that for a used one.

I bought a used MT2 last year, and I have to admit I was initially a little disappointed. But I'm coming around. You really need a good right hand to bring out the best in the better instruments, something I'm still working on. It's still just out of reach for me, but I am absolutely hooked on the instrument now so I should get there someday.

For me, what is insane is that 12K that Carter Vintage Guitars had listed for a ratty old *case*. It was about then I realized that mandolin people are not like the rest of us.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryinAZ View Post
If you find an F5 Loar at this price you should figure out a way to buy it.

They used to sell right around $225,000. They have come down a bit. I think Thile paid somewhere around $180,000 for his second one a few months back.
Gerry, there's an unsigned 1925 Loar that just hit the cafe classifieds.

98K, plus shipping. The 'plus shipping' slays me, for some reason.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 PM

Crazy! I love playing the mandolin, but there are soooo many other things I'm thinking I would do with that amount of money.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Gerry, there's an unsigned 1925 Loar that just hit the cafe classifieds.

98K, plus shipping. The 'plus shipping' slays me, for some reason.
Crazy! I love playing the mandolin, but there are soooo many other things I'm thinking I would do with that amount of money.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments