The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Steve, you will always be the place I go for Lowden straight talk.

Had my old girl looked at today...going to address some issues after the holidays. Hopefully she will play a little easier then.
-jay
Hey man, that means a lot to me, appreciate your saying that.

As for the O25, don't forget the nut, comrade. That is key.

I can't tell you how many guitars I've seen where peeps go right to the saddles and lower the action there and compromise the tone integrity, albeit even sometimes just slightly. And then don't even address the nut.

Many times it's more about the strings height at the nut. That's where the strings are most taught. That's where you get it to play super duper easy and then higher up the fingerboard, 12th fret and so on, the strings have a looser feel by default thus easier to play and then the strings height at the saddles doesn't have to be insanely low. Medium-low at the 12th

Strings higher over the soundboard, more/better tone. The action still has a low feel. Indeed lower if the nut height is high.

As for the neck, that varies of course but generally speaking, with spruce top - neck about dead straight, with cedar just a tad relief.

And the fret-ends. Fingerboards shrink but metal can't Sharp fret-ends affect playability comfort with many people not even realizing it. You want them smooth as silk. That's easy for a good Luthier/repair tech.

Let me know how you make out. I'm curious.

Last edited by sjgtime; 12-20-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Hi Steve. .How how does it compare to an older' 87 F 27c? No!.. just kidding. That was the model that George intended to be his dreadnaught version.He had planned to maybe do some re-voicing later but as far as I know up to this point has not? Maybe you know more about that..its the same model that Richard Thompson has played on the road all these years ( rosewood/spruce) Tone is warm yet clear and very punchy and loud, And handles alternate tunings just as well. I got it from a NYC busker who played the h*** out of it..and it shows!!( all honest wear) with heavy pick marks..one almost thru the top..see (David Gray's)..Like to play the "new" Downs' sometime. Anyway..Merry Merry and Happy Holidays to "ALL" the Lowden loyal!! Michael
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices
Old 12-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Good deal Michael, HH
Old 12-21-2014, 12:27 PM

Added some detail to the description
Old 12-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

How low is the action @ the 12th fret? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Hey man. Measurement huh. Dang.

I have a bad herniated disc in my neck, and to get into the position, and I only have a tape measure...I really don't want to attempt this.

Look. This guitar has been setup by my Luthier/tech guy and he is as good as the best on the planet. And he knows how I like it, obviously after hundreds of Lowdens AND he knows I'm a big baby now with the hand problems I've developed and that I like my guitars to play super-duper easy BUT to also still sound great.

The neck is dead-straight (because its a sitka top, not cedar) and the strings at the nut are barely off the 1st fret. And then I asked him...so about the saddles at this point, higher or lower and he responded NO LOWER.

So its pretty low man. The bottom line is it set to play perfectly for any style and you can go altered/dropped tunings to your hearts content. I have sold a plethora of Lowdens with this setup and I always ask folks after delivery, how do they like the setup. Every person, no exception, has always said *perfect*. True story

And if you want it higher?...and with the straight neck and very low @the nut, perfect!...I'll put a couple shims in the case compartment...just loosen the strings and lift out the saddles, insert the shims in the slots, replace the saddles and voila!

Certainly you could go lower at the saddles in combination with putting a little relief in the neck. I just don't see that as necessary, the guitar plays super easy as-is.

In summary to your question, its not super low at the 12th fret (not high either) but the straight neck and low at the nut make it feel low, everywhere.

I hope this answer is acceptable.

Last edited by sjgtime; 12-27-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Plays ridiculously easy!

Was just playing it a bit...

Getting in some playing time before it goes (this is a typical ritual with me) and man, it seriously plays ridiculously easy.

The setup is killed!

Taking everything into account, this is fantastic price for this guitar folks.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I'll vouch for the playability. I bought a Simon Fay OM from Steve earlier this year. Drove down to play it and it's ease of play had me hooked. Comparable to my Schenk FE. Steve know how to get minimal height at both ends of the fretboard and so does Bob Peterson, his luthier.

Jay Lynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post

Teacher/mentor - Richard Gilewitz

Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 12 String
Beneteau OMC -13
Simon Fay OM
Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 6 String
Old 12-27-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylynch@yahoo. View Post
I'll vouch for the playability. I bought a Simon Fay OM from Steve earlier this year. Drove down to play it and it's ease of play had me hooked. Comparable to my Schenk FE. Steve knows how to get minimal height at both ends of the fretboard and so does Bob Peterson, his luthier.
Jay Lynch
Jay-John, thanks very much for taking the time to stop by and say that. Very kind of you.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:49 AM

First wave of holidays over, back to biz

Sooner or later someone will be looking for a new Lowden, see this...and jump all over it.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:37 PM

Bump because I can't stop looking at this guitar. Or to put it another way... my wonderful supportive wife would kill me if I did.

Get thee behind me Lowden...

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 12-31-2014, 02:06 PM

People...

You're ruining my record here...I typically sell my Lowdens in a day or two.

Sheesh

I don't know...Downy F w/cut, like brand spanking new (ha, I like saying that), plays ridiculously easy perfect setup...and nobody taking?

Serious talk though, for the rosewood diehards...if you'd be looking for a 32, I've had many of these and those...the only difference in sound is the 32 has a metallic flavor and the 12 more woody and airy.

This is an excellent guitar, and in all departments and for an excellent price.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 PM

Excellent everything Lowden w/cut, pedigree and price.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:48 PM

Had a couple peeps just contact overnight and commented about being interested and possibly making an offer.

I've had a lot of interest and have been corresponding with a bunch of folks since day one, great fun.

Nobody else has said the words make an offer so I wanted to post this to be clear for anyone else interested or with future interest.

This guitar, an F Mah/Sit w/cut...this is the closest you can get to a new F32c, and F32c is the highest selling, most popular Lowden model on the planet.

This comment is accurate, contact GL for verification.

When new F32c's (and F32's) hit dealer inventories here in the USA, they sell very quickly. They are untouchable for under 4500....probably looking at 4545 to 4797.

If a dealer has a motivation to sell one quickly, maybe one can be had for $4292. Again maybe, not likely.

$3250 is an excellent price for this particular guitar and I have no desire nor necessity to go lower at this time.

Thanks and keep on playing

Last edited by sjgtime; 01-05-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM

The force is strong with this guitar kind of bump.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars