The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Default Tascam dr-05

I will admit up front, I am not the sharpest tool in the world of tech equipment. I recently received my new tascam dr-05, but after reading and rereading the manual, plus playing around with it, I could not figure out how to listen to a recording playback. Went to their website, no help, watched YouTube how to vidio, again no help. Finely just a few minutes ago, plugged the headphones that came with it, and puff there it was, sound. Now there is a lot more for me to figure out, but at least it works, really much more than I expected, just wanted something to record and listen, to check how I am sounding, good or bad. Who knows someday I may post something I played in the forum, then again maybe not.

Are there some tricks to learn without taking up the rest of my useful life?

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.

Last edited by pick me; 07-22-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 AM

no, you are just like the rest of us. once you start down that trail you find that there is always more to learn. sounds like you have enough resources to get you thru it short of having someone who owns one standing beside you giving you the info you need.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-22-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
no, you are just like the rest of us. once you start down that trail you find that there is always more to learn. sounds like you have enough resources to get you thru it short of having someone who owns one standing beside you giving you the info you need.

play music!
Thank you. the only downfall will be, my capacity to comperhend what is right in front of me.

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:51 AM

I have the same recorder. There is a small speaker you can activate but it doesn't sound good. The headphone/line output is best to listen to your recordings.

Make sure you set it for 44.1 (Khz) 24 bit Wave recording as I think the default is MP3 format.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-23-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I have the same recorder. There is a small speaker you can activate but it doesn't sound good. The headphone/line output is best to listen to your recordings.
I've got one too. I usually just upload the recorded wav into the computer and play it through that system. You can also import the wav to cubase or whatever and play around with it there.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
I will admit up front, I am not the sharpest tool in the world of tech equipment. I recently received my new tascam dr-05, but after reading and rereading the manual, plus playing around with it, I could not figure out how to listen to a recording playback. Went to their website, no help, watched YouTube how to vidio, again no help. Finely just a few minutes ago, plugged the headphones that came with it, and puff there it was, sound. Now there is a lot more for me to figure out, but at least it works, really much more than I expected, just wanted something to record and listen, to check how I am sounding, good or bad. Who knows someday I may post something I played in the forum, then again maybe not.

Are there some tricks to learn without taking up the rest of my useful life?
I keep a Creative D100 around to use with many of my "portable" recorders. Pop the audio patch cord into your recorder and you'll have a very nice playback level. It's technically a Bluetooth device, but I use it with a patch cord to an audio jack quite often. The longer I have this around the more I use it.

I pull up streaming audio on the laptop and carry the speaker into the adjoining kitchen for music to cook dinner by.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-D100.../dp/B003N9SR00

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD