The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Fishman SoloAmp SA220 vs SA330x

Wondering if any here can comment on the New Fishman SA330x and how it compares to the now discontinued SA220.

I've been wanting to try a SoloAmp for a while... It seems perfect for my Solo acoustic / singer needs.

I see they are similar in list price at $999. But the 330x has some optional capabilities.. Subwoofer and channel expansion which I prob do not need. Curious if I should just find a used SA220 for $500-600 and save some bucks.

I'm solo Acoustic Singer, Pubs and Wine Bars. Play a couple times a month. Love portability and ease of use.

I also have a TCH Play Acoustic pedal. Which works well for me. Touch of effects and occasional harmony. I have an occasional duo partner (singer) with a Mando and/or Guitar.

But this is mainly for me as a solo person. If we do the Duo we have other PA equipment. Unless these work well with just adding my Yamaha MG82CX mixer..

Any compelling reason to spend the extra bucks for a new 330x? Or should I shop for a used 220 and be just as happy?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 PM

If you don't foresee needing the extra channels, or a subwoofer, then I would get a used SA220 in a heart beat. I owned one and thought it was very good. I sold it when I went on my crazy compact PA adventures. (We have discussed a few of those other options already.) But, that unit really did the trick. Tone is subjective, and some people like a different sound, but plenty of players have used those systems for years. For $500 it is an easy choice. If I had that unit still in front of me, I'd probably still be using it.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:12 PM

yeah.. The "adventure" goes on and on...
Powered by GAS

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

I had the 220. Periodically it develops static in the channel, which is due to unsealed knobs. Dust. Fishman customer service is top notch. The first time it happened they talked me through the fix, where I blew air into the knobs. The second time they sent me a new 330. It’s knobs are sealed. It doesn’t have this problem. Frankly the 220 wouldnt have the problem if you used it frequently.

The 330 does have more power. I have the expansion mixer and it’s great.

My advice is if you plug in at home every couple of weeks, get the sa330. If you gig often and it’s just you, you will be turning the knobs a lot and should not have the problem I did.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 10-19-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I had the 220. Periodically it develops static in the channel, which is do to unsealed knobs.
I have gigged 3/4 time per month with my SA220 for 9 years. No issues whatsoever. Nothing but compliments on my sound. I would go for a less expensive SA220 in a hearbeat.

Steve
Old 10-19-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I had the 220. Periodically it develops static in the channel, which is do to unsealed knobs. Dust. Fishman customer service is top notch. The first time it happened they talked me through the fix, where I blew air into the knobs. The second time they sent me a new 330. It’s knobs are sealed. It doesn’t have this problem. Frankly the 220wouldnt have the problem if you used to frequently.

The 330 does have more power. I have the expansion mixer and it’s great.

My advice is if you plug in at home every couple of weeks, get the sa330. If you gig often and it’s just you, you will be turning the knobs a lot and should not have the problem I did.
....am I reading your post right?....you had a 220....and Fishman then exchanged your 220, with a 330?
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 PM

I have both the SA220 and SA330X. I got the 330X, the full system with sub and mixer, to allow my family band to use all 6 channels. I also use the sub, because I use a looper for vocal beats/guitar top percussion.

I'm a solo player primarily, and both systems have been great for the weekend bar gigs. The SA220 might be the quickest set up ever, and the SA330 is only a little more involved, mostly because I have to carry a sub. I do like having that extra thump for the loop/percussion, but I can play a gig without it, too. The SA330 might be a little louder in practice, but I never had a situation where the SA220 wasn't loud enough. I might even go so far as to say that I prefer the vocal sound that I get from the SA220.

They are both good systems. The 330 was revoiced, and does sound a little different, though I don't know that the revoicing matters much in live performance.

My recommendation, for your purposes, would probably be to find a used SA220. I did use a mixer from time to time, into the Aux In on the back of the SA220. It worked great.
I hadn't thought of selling mine, but if you're interested, send along a PM. I don't have any packaging for it, though.

One of the best things about Fishman is their customer service. It's simply the best. My first SA220 served me well for years, and when it developed a static problem in one channel, they gave me an entirely new unit. That's service that's hard to beat.

It's a great time to be looking for sound reinforcement gear. Lots of great stuff.

Last edited by mikemo6string; 10-19-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

As I said if you are using your SA220 often (3-4 times a month probably qualifies), you should have no problems.

I did.

And yes, Fishman sent me a new replacement SA330 after they received my 220. Free.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:02 AM

Default Fishman SoloAmp SA220 vs SA330x

Quote:
As I said if you are using your SA220 often (3-4 times a month probably qualifies), you should have no problems.

I did.

And yes, Fishman sent me a new replacement SA330 after they received my 220. Free.

It might be a bit counterintuitive for the OP. To explain, Missal had a problem with dust buildup in his unit because he wasn’t using it that often, and it was in storage. Missal’s saying that if you use it often, you likely won’t experience his dust issue. I hope I understood that correctly.

Last edited by martingitdave; 10-20-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Dave... thanks for clarifying my poor communication.

By the way, tonight I am playing a large-venue gig... My buddy is bringing his Bose, and I my SA330. He will have his vocals and guitar through the Bose. The SA330 will run my vocals, guitar, a third person's vocals, and a mic for general percussion (third singer has a cajon on a stand with brushes, tambo, blocks, etc).

Tonight will be a good test. Normally just he and I play through his Bose.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:

By the way, tonight I am playing a large-venue gig... My buddy is bringing his Bose, and I my SA330. He will have his vocals and guitar through the Bose. The SA330 will run my vocals, guitar, a third person's vocals, and a mic for general percussion (third singer has a cajon on a stand with brushes, tambo, blocks, etc).

Oh, that sounds like a great test. Please report back.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It might be a bit counterintuitive for the OP. To explain, Missal had a problem with dust buildup in his unit because he wasn’t using it that often, and it was in storage. Missal’s saying that if you use it often, you likely won’t experience his dust issue. I hope I understood that correctly.
Thanks for clarification. I figured Sal's issue with isolated incident. Kudos to Fishman for replacing it.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a great test...

Will you be using the Fishman Sub and Mixer Expander?
Old 10-20-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Jake, I dont have the sub. I will be using the Expander.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Jake, I dont have the sub. I will be using the Expander.
Cool.. I wouldn't use sub either.

I guess when comparing the 2 SoloAmps...
Does it comes down to expansion?

Would the SA220 be able to do similar expansion - say for 2 Guitars and 2 vocals - with a Passive Mixer? or does the 330x and Expander add more flexibility or control?

Looks like a nice clean package..
Plus I see it has "optional" Stand Holder.

Fishman SA Expand Channel Expander for SA-330X

Last edited by JakeStone; 10-20-2017 at 08:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification