The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Starting a jam group- just some of my observations

I've been learning to play for a little over two years now, and although I still pretty much suck, I'm happy with where I am. I take weekly lessons.

I asked my teacher if he could put me together with some other players, and he hooked me up with another student of his. We first played together in January, and the first few times it was awkward, but I guess it's like any relationship.

Then we decided to switch to electrics and fool around with just jamming some blues, and both of us had fun. So that' what we do now. We both are still taking lessons, but we sort of build on our weekly sessions and can see progress. It's helped us both a lot.

Then we added another player, this time a bass player. He's also taking lessons, and is enjoying the time we have together. It's making us all better players too.

Then I asked a friend of mine if he wanted to join us. He started playing the keyboard about the same time I started guitar, but not with an instructor, just online. He's able to play songs along with the videos online, but he just cannot do anything other than that. It seems he memorized songs, but cannot play individual chords or notes. So that was disappointing for us, and
frustrating for him, so much so that he won't come back.

Oh well, I think he would have progressed and had fun. Next stop- a drummer. She's also taking lessons and I hear she's pretty good and looking for a few folks to play with.

I still am mainly acoustic,because I don't have any electrics at home, and my wife says there is no room for amps and stuff at the house. So 6 days a week it's acoustic and on Sunday it's electric. ( sometimes Saturday, or at lunch)

I never thought, when I started out, that I would ever play with anyone, but I've learned that it is really fun, and helps us all. I guess we push each other, and it also helps tie everything together.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I guess we push each other, and it also helps tie everything together.
This is a good observation. The group I play with can all hit the rhythm and notes, but the level of play varies across the group. All of us are having fun, and most are learning a bit too.

The cool stuff often happens by pure luck during these sessions.

Last edited by H165; 05-07-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Playing with other musicians is the best way to get better
Old 05-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDepew View Post
Playing with other musicians is the best way to get better

^^^^^^^This +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write