The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-29-2017, 07:27 PM

Default Slotted pin holes

Have a question about slotting the bridge pin holes. I have read that these slots need to go from the surface of the bridge all the way through the bridge plate inside. I understand the reasoning behind this. I have a couple of guitars that the bridge is slotted but the soundboard and bridge plate are not. The slots on the bridge are angled so that they don't even go through the bridge completely. Does this make sense to anyone. One guitar is a Epiphone Hummingbird. The other a Gibson B-45 12 string.
I also was wondering if you could cut the slots so that on the surface of the bridge the slots matched each string thickness, but on the inside deep enough for the string ball. I don't know if I am making any sense here but I appreciate your answers​.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 08:16 PM

Those slots in the bridge are ramps, meant to get strings closer to the saddle for the purpose of increasing the angle for more downward pressure.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:46 PM

Some say there should be a slot all the way through the bridge plate too. That is really what I'm asking about. Sorry if I am not clear on that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 08:58 PM

I always slot all the way through the bridge plate. The point is to make sure the ball ends up alongside the pin and seated on the underside of the bridge plate where it belongs and not captured on the end of the pin. The width of the slot needs to be wide enough to accommodate the thickness of the doubled back string ends.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Guest 1928

Slotting and ramping are two different things, but they can look similar from the top of the bridge. Ramping does not go through the bridge plate and will not accomodate solid pins. Slotting will. Ramping does nothing to mitigate the bridge plate damage from slotted pins. Slotted bridges and solid pins, properly fitted, will virtually eliminate it.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:29 AM

Default slotting the bridge on 12-string

Has anybody had experience slotting the bridge on a 12-string acoustic? I just slotted my six-string and I'm so impressed with the results that I want to slot my 12-string. My concern is that the six lower octave strings on a twelve sit behind (off-centered, of course) the six higher octave strings, and I'm worried about breaking through to the other side, as it were. Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2024, 12:05 PM

Default a thought

I've slotted two 12-string bridges that I made. Patience, grasshopper.

Last edited by phavriluk; 01-22-2024 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:52 PM

All my bridges get slotted 6 and 12-string.

One thing to add to this discussion is don't use fluted pins in a slotted bridge or if you do remember to rotate the pin so the flute is to the side (not the rear) so that the pin holds the ball end where it should be, snug in the keyhole slot on the bridge plate. Best to just get some new non-fluted pins.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:10 PM

thanks. also, only because I'm old do i appreciate why you called me "Grasshopper".
Old 01-22-2024, 05:10 PM

Lol, some of us definitely remember Kung Fu! The true grasshoppers don’t.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:21 PM

"When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair