The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 AM

Thanks for all those photos, ricdoug!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 06-26-2015, 09:56 PM

well, my choice ended up being the Samson XP106w.

100 watts, Blue Tooth, Wireless Mic, 20 hours on battery (I know, if I'm lucky)

For our small gathering, I think this will work great.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 06-26-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
well, my choice ended up being the Samson XP106w.

100 watts, Blue Tooth, Wireless Mic, 20 hours on battery (I know, if I'm lucky)

For our small gathering, I think this will work great.
Cool. Tell us how it works out.
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 06-27-2015, 07:42 AM

I bought and returned the equivalent Behringer MPA40BT. I thought it was a great product from a sound perspective but it failed within the return interval and I returned it rather than replaced it (maybe a mistake...). I then went with the heavier battery/inverter since I felt that was from a reliability standpoint fairly bullet proof.

I've been beating this drum on this forum for a while, but the latest Bluetooth speakers are very nice little full range systems and you can get anything from something small enough to fit in a T5z case and bring it up to banjo volume levels, to the almost pro sound Behringer and Samson products. I've not tried something in the middle, but this is the kind of product that looks interesting to me:

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/m.../kilburn-black
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 06-27-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:24 AM

I've been using inverters and deep-cycle batteries for my "no available AC" gigs, since 2008. Typically, I'll power a pair of Yorkville NX55P 12" active loudspeakers, 3-4 mic's, a Soundcraft EFX-8 or MFXi-8 mixer, an AER Compact 60 (as monitor), and three or four LED wash-lights. I use a 1500w 12vDC-120vAC MSW inverter, and a 115amp-hour 12v battery. We've run up to 8 hours, with no sign of fading. The inverter is dead quiet, and I've had zero issues with sound-quality or noise.

For smaller gigs, I also have a 300w MSW inverter, powering one NX55P, my Compact 60, a mixer, a couple of mic's and a few LED wash-lights. I haven't bothered looking for a smaller battery. Works great.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
I am in the hunt for a good small guitar amp that can be run off batteries as well as plugged in. I know there are several now to choose from so I need help on choosing. I need only two channels, one 1/4 inch for guitar and one XLR/1/4 inch for guitar or vocal. I dont want a lot of effects either but if they are on board, its ok. Just looking for the best tone in a very small package. I have heard good things about the Lunchbox. Got any other ideas?
FWIW, I use the Roland Street Cube ($300) for my small "acoustic" gigs to give me more volume and it has served me well--many compliments. I heard that the Roland AC series sounds better (tone-wise) but I wanted the separation of effects of the Cube vs the global effects of the AC. And the six AA batteries last a really long time!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 AM

Another nod to the AC33. It's got genuinely great sound and runs on AA batteries. It's been my best friend for years playing at weddings on the beach, in the woods. In my view, well worth the money.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I bought and returned the equivalent Behringer MPA40BT. I thought it was a great product from a sound perspective but it failed within the return interval and I returned it rather than replaced it (maybe a mistake...). I then went with the heavier battery/inverter since I felt that was from a reliability standpoint fairly bullet proof.

I've been beating this drum on this forum for a while, but the latest Bluetooth speakers are very nice little full range systems and you can get anything from something small enough to fit in a T5z case and bring it up to banjo volume levels, to the almost pro sound Behringer and Samson products. I've not tried something in the middle, but this is the kind of product that looks interesting to me:

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/m.../kilburn-black
Can you tell us more about the sound quality from this $210 Behringer box? Was it loud enough to be useful on the street? Did it break up on the top end of vocals? Uses a horn loaded soft dome tweeter so might sound pretty good.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Can you tell us more about the sound quality from this $210 Behringer box? Was it loud enough to be useful on the street? Did it break up on the top end of vocals? Uses a horn loaded soft dome tweeter so might sound pretty good.
I think the MPA40BT is a step up from the Roland options (even the latest Cube Street EX), but not competitive with a real PA speaker running off an inverter and battery. It is light and convenient. The one I bought failed in a few weeks of almost daily use as a rehearsal PA. I never took it out to a gig.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 PM

Yamaha Thr

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 08-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
Cool. Tell us how it works out.
It's working out great.

Battery lasts a long time. You got to remember to turn off the mic or bring spare batteries for it. It uses AA so they are easy to find. You can also do a Bluetooth connection to it and play tunes from your BT enabled player.

Has a line-in, a combo XLR/Phone plug for mics and passive pickups and you can also link to another unit or input thru a 1/8" line in.

I also use a Behringer XENYX 1002B battery powered mixer. I do a line out to the Samson 106w, and I can have up to 10 inputs. Typically we have two or three guitars, a mic for our flautist, a mic for the mouth harp guy and sometimes a mic for the third guitar player. And we use the wireless mic for two singers to share.

Sounds good, you can overdrive it if your not careful. I put it up on a pole about 7 to 8 feet up, and it carries a couple hundred yards along the farmers market. Everybody likes it.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification