The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-05-2010, 05:38 AM

Default How do i do this?

Hi there, how do I get my own guitar accompaniment(i dont know if this is the right word, im using google translate for that word) in the background when I play such as red haired boy?

Check my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqDxVxUUfyQ

I want to play along with my own guitar rythm. hope you understand i cant put it into words. Sorry for my english.

Last edited by rlouie; 11-05-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: swearing
Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 AM

I think I follow. I don't record but I think the word you're looking for is "multi-track". You want to know how to do a multi-track recording. Lots of methods and lots of software to do this and I'll leave it to the people who actually do it themselves to give you opinions and advice.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 AM

Here's a very talented KT Tunstall adding multiple loop tracks at the beginning of a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xANiW9yWvGE

If you want to accompany yourself with you playing both rhythm and lead, then look into multi track recorders. You record the rhythm track, then play it back through earphones while you record the lead track. My multi-track is a few years old so I won't mention it as I'm sure there are better ones available now,

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorcc View Post
Here's a very talented KT Tunstall adding multiple loop tracks at the beginning of a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xANiW9yWvGE

If you want to accompany yourself with you playing both rhythm and lead, then look into multi track recorders. You record the rhythm track, then play it back through earphones while you record the lead track. My multi-track is a few years old so I won't mention it as I'm sure there are better ones available now,
Thanks alot guys! Multi-track

Btw i did record myself 2 times then i recorded it again but from the computerspeaker and ..... blablalba look for your self

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aInBlKyD4NM

It was the first time i did this so it doesn´t sound that good.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM

i tryed to listen to your song but my utube won't play anymore. anyone familiar with what change happened at utube?
thanks ocmcook
Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM

If I understand you correctly, you want to record yourself playing accompaniment on the guitar (also known as second or rhythm guitar) then while you are listening to that recording, record yourself playing first or lead guitar in synchronization with the first recording. Is that correct? What kind of computer do you have?

By the way, since you mentioned using a web translator, what language do you normally speak?

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 11-05-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
If I understand you correctly, you want to record yourself playing accompaniment on the guitar (also known as second or rhythm guitar) then while you are listening to that recording, record yourself playing first or lead guitar in synchronization with the first recording. Is that correct? What kind of computer do you have?

By the way, since you mentioned using a web translator, what language do you normally speak?

Im from sweden, i can speak english very well but i cant formulate the word Dont know why but thats the case ;D Sorry

Btw, you understand me correctly!

Last edited by rlouie; 11-05-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: STOP SWEARING !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycash View Post
Im from sweden, i can speak english very well but i cant formulate the word Dont know why but thats the case ;D Sorry

Btw, you understand me correctly!
You express yourself well in English, I was just curious since you mentioned use of a translator and since because I had a hunch that you were European.

If you have a Macintosh computer, a microphone and headphones, that is all you need. If you have a PC computer you will need to add the free software, Audacity. The software allows you to record one guitar and while listening to the recording, record the second guitar synchronously. It is quite easy to do.

Depending on how demanding you are you will probably find that plugging a microphone into the computer doesn't work very well. You will get better results by using additional hardware in the form of an audio interface which plugs into the computer's USB port and into which you would connect the microphone. The question becomes how much you want to spend. A simple, inexpensive one like this one will give you good results:

http://www.mxlmics.com/products/USB/...cMate_Pro.html

If you want to use two to four microphones at once you would need something like this one:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...rackUltra.html

If you don't already have a microphone, this inexpensive one will produce good results but opinions about microphones vary wildly:

http://www.mxlmics.com/products/Stud.../604/v604.html

Some will agree that it will produce good recordings and others will argue for a different, and probably more expensive, microphone.

If you don't have a pair of headphones, these are comparatively inexpensive and are in use in professional studios:

http://www.akg.com/site/products/pow...nguage,EN.html

The original K240 is still available and costs substantially less than the MK II with the difference in performance being minimal.

Audacity download page:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
Old 11-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Default Hardware recorders are another good option

You got some good suggestions for using computer software to record and play back multiple tracks. This is a popular method. Computers are powerful, hard drives are big enough to store thousands of hours of music, and software is easy to upgrade. Incredible possibilities are at your fingertips.

Unfortunately, using a computer to record and multi-track also has downsides. Good audio interfaces (firewire) are expensive. Budget ones (USB) have more latency (time lag between recording and playback). You have to do your recording in the same room as the computer, and you have more "stuff" to manage. Windows computers crash, freeze, sputter, get viruses, and all these things can mess up your recording. Mac's are expensive and compatible hardware is also more expensive. Mixing audio using a computer mouse is tedious. Laptops are fragile, so making recordings in the field is a bit more of an ordeal.

There is an alternative approach, which is to use a hardware multi-track recorder. These days there are several interesting choices, which are small, self-contained, will operate on batteries, record onto small flash memory cards (SD cards, etc), and cost no more than a firewire computer audio interface. Many record at CD quality or better. Latency is usually better than you get with many of the less expensive computer audio interefaces.

Recording with these hardware multi-trackers is a lot more direct - you turn knobs and move levers with your fingers, which is quicker and more intuitive than using a keyboard and mouse to scroll through menus and click on buttons. This lets you stay in your creative, left-brain-dominant state while you make your music, instead of being forced to become a computer scientist or software engineer, which usually shifts you over to a thinking, right-brain-dominant state. Bad music usually follows that brain shift!

Tascam, Boss, Fostex, Zoom, Alesis, and many other companies sell various hardware multi-track recorders. I own one of them, a Zoom R16, which I am very happy with. You can do all the recording on the Zoom, and either do final mixes on the Zoom, or simply transfer the audio files (.wav) to a computer and use computer software for the rest of the processing. In many ways, its the best of both worlds, combining all the advantages of a dedicated hardware multi-track recorder and a software DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) on your computer.

Be aware that some other brands and models are geared more towards quick-n-dirty recordings, quick demos to capture ideas. This may be exactly what you want, but make sure you know the capabilities and limitations of the device before you buy. With some of these devices, you cannot easily get the individual audio tracks onto your computer, only the final mix - that means you cannot use a DAW with these. All the recording and mixing has to be done on the hardware device itself.

One last thing, older models of hardware recorders were based around computer hard drives for recording and CD burners for outputting the final product. Many are still sold, often at substantial discounts. My suggestion is to avoid these old clunkers - they are big, heavy, bulky, noisy, delicate, consume lots of power, and offer no advantages compared to the modern flash-memory based recorders I've been discussing.

-Gnobuddy
Old 11-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Default recording

Perhaps what you are looking for is a loop station. My instructor has one ( I ordered one ). It is made by Boss. You are able to say, put down a rhythm track, then play it back instantly to practice with. It will loop endlessly so you can try different lead combinations. When you find what sounds good, you can then track that right on top. You can put down up to 11 tracks with 16 min. of play time. It is one of the best practice, or performing tools I've come across. Super easy to use, play it right back thru an amp, foot switches make recording very simple. Either elec or miked acoustic will work fine. Dont need a computer or expensive software either.( Don't know if this device was mentioned earlier but worded differently).
Old 11-06-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnobuddy View Post
Tascam, Boss, Fostex, Zoom, Alesis, and many other companies sell various hardware multi-track recorders. I own one of them, a Zoom R16, which I am very happy with. You can do all the recording on the Zoom, and either do final mixes on the Zoom, or simply transfer the audio files (.wav) to a computer and use computer software for the rest of the processing. In many ways, its the best of both worlds, combining all the advantages of a dedicated hardware multi-track recorder and a software DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) on your computer.
-Gnobuddy
I've got the Zoom R16 as well. I've never used anything else so I have no frame of reference, but I can say that I have also been very happy with it. I have used it as both a multi-track recorder (stand-alone?) and I installed the Cubase LE 4 software that came with it and use it as an interface. There's a third option to use the Zoom as a controller, but I have not figured out how to do this yet. I'd like to, because as you said, mixing with a mouse can be tedious and slow (especially if I want to take advantage of the Read/Write capability of cubase, which I do).

It seems to be built well, but it's light-weight. Makes it very easy to throw it in a backpack with a laptop (or by itself) and head to a buddys to jam.

Last edited by EvanPC; 11-07-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Perhaps what you are looking for is a loop station. My instructor has one
<snip>
It is one of the best practice, or performing tools I've come across. Super easy to use, play it right back thru an amp, foot switches make recording very simple.
You reminded me, I saw Victor Wooten perform solo at a small venue using only a small Hartke combo bass amp and a looper pedal. He'd lay down a groove with the pedal and then solo over it. Wooten being the virtuoso genius that he is, he sounded as complete as an entire orchestra all by himself. Absolutely incredible.

-Gnobuddy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD