The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-25-2017, 10:32 PM

Default Yamaha FGX800C opinions

A friend of mine is learning guitar, wants to buy one. Seems like the FGX800C is a good buy for about $300. Any thoughts? What about the system 66 preamp and pickup?
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 10-26-2017, 03:59 AM

I have several Yamaha a/e guitars, three of which have the under saddle piezo pick up yamaha uses. Their six crystal piezo pickup sounds more natural to me than most other under under saddle pickups. The basic eq controls on my AC3R perform the same way they would on the FGX800c and they do a wonderful job of shaping the tone plus you get a sweepable mid on the 800, which my one Yamaha has and it even further shapes the tone. You can get all the bass you'd ever want, a nice big mid range tone, or scoop the mids. Great electronics, not as prone to feedback as many other systems.

The guitar itself has a solid top, great neck, decent tuners and the new bracing makes the thing sound amazing unplugged.

I always upgrade my nut and saddle with Tusq and my bridge pins to rosewood to go with the rosewood bridge. But right out of the box the FGX800C is a terrific guitar.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have several Yamaha a/e guitars, three of which have the under saddle piezo pick up yamaha uses. Their six crystal piezo pickup sounds more natural to me than most other under under saddle pickups. The basic eq controls on my AC3R perform the same way they would on the FGX800c and they do a wonderful job of shaping the tone plus you get a sweepable mid on the 800, which my one Yamaha has and it even further shapes the tone. You can get all the bass you'd ever want, a nice big mid range tone, or scoop the mids. Great electronics, not as prone to feedback as many other systems.

The guitar itself has a solid top, great neck, decent tuners and the new bracing makes the thing sound amazing unplugged.

I always upgrade my nut and saddle with Tusq and my bridge pins to rosewood to go with the rosewood bridge. But right out of the box the FGX800C is a terrific guitar.
Upgrade the nut on a $300 guitar?!? I can see upgrading the saddle, easy enough and other reviews suggest the strings they sell it with are junk... easy enough.

Thanks for the feedback!
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 10-26-2017, 12:59 PM

I'm also interested in this guitar. Any and all info/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 10-26-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
I'm also interested in this guitar. Any and all info/experience would be greatly appreciated.
I got a quote from Kraft Music: FGX800C + hardcase for $280 shipped. Better than anything I found on Reverb. He also offered me a great deal on an FGX830C (rosewood and more bling).
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 10-27-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Upgrade the nut on a $300 guitar?!? I can see upgrading the saddle, easy enough and other reviews suggest the strings they sell it with are junk... easy enough.

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm a tinkerer and the nut upgrade isn't much more difficult than shaving and dropping in a new saddle. Anyway, the O.E. Yamaha strings are good when new but not so good when well played. I bought my FGX730SC and took it out of the box myself and the strings were decent, but surely a nice set of Aluminum Bronze Ernie Ball will sound better.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I'm a tinkerer and the nut upgrade isn't much more difficult than shaving and dropping in a new saddle. Anyway, the O.E. Yamaha strings are good when new but not so good when well played. I bought my FGX730SC and took it out of the box myself and the strings were decent, but surely a nice set of Aluminum Bronze Ernie Ball will sound better.
I gotcha. I'm a tinkerer too, but in my season of life (5 kids) I just don't have as much tinkering time as I'd like! 10-15 years from now I'll probably have more time than I know what to do with
'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification