The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-25-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Yo Erik,

* I had the same experience with my Body Rez, fortunately the Cooltube Preamp on my MIJ Taks helps re-phatten the mids. However, I've been using the Boss AD-2 for some applications including when I perform with my D18 that I use the Baggs M80 and I much prefer the Boss AD-2 over the Body Rez.

** I still keep the Body Rez if I start getting a resonace/feedback issue on the louder/bigger stages and kik it on for that, otherwise I leave it off...and with either the Body Rez or Boss AD-2 I dial in a small amount.

*** I'm full-time solo performer and use a few different setups depending on venues, but here's is my loudest/largest:

MIJ Tak with Cooltube or Martin D18 with Baggs M80 > Audio-Technica wireless > Body Rez or Boss AD-2 >Neunaber Seraphim > two Fishman Loudbox Performers with DI mix out into a Presonus Air10...BOOM!

eric
How do you like the AD-2 when combined with USTs? I like the BodyRez but it seems intended to apply a smiley-face EQ curve to your signal, which is how some guitars sound, but not my Cedar/Mahogany dread. Is the AD-2 more "EQ agnostic" than the BodyRez?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
How do you like the AD-2 when combined with USTs? I like the BodyRez but it seems intended to apply a smiley-face EQ curve to your signal, which is how some guitars sound, but not my Cedar/Mahogany dread. Is the AD-2 more "EQ agnostic" than the BodyRez?
* "EQ agnostic" good one!

** The AD-2 has:
1.) an acoustic resonance dial which like the Body Rez adds some compression, some mid-scoop (not as much as BR) and saturation...I set it at 10 o'clock

2.) an ambience dial that gives it some air/reverb...I set it at 1 o'clock

3.) a notch filter that allows more control to dial in a better overall eq/tone across the board...I set it at 12 o'clock

*** I like the AD-2 better both with the Tak ust/piezo/palathetic/Cooltube and the magnetic Baggs M80. The trebles thin out more with the Body Rez from my experience and set at 9 to 10 o'clock is about all I can enjoy in achieving a slightly more natural sound whereas the AD-2 like I said gives a mo betta overall balance/tone.

**** BTW I edited my signal chain cuz I forget to mention that I also use an MXR Carbon Copy...combined with the Seraphim it's angelic!

Hope my description helps Erik,

eric with a c

Last edited by noledog; 10-25-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:14 PM

I use the Boss AD-2 with my Strymon El Cap, Flint, and DIG, Boss RV-6 and a
Boss CE2 waza chorus.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* "EQ agnostic" good one!

** The AD-2 has:
1.) an acoustic resonance dial which like the Body Rez adds some compression, some mid-scoop (not as much as BR) and saturation...I set it at 10 o'clock

2.) an ambience dial that gives it some air/reverb...I set it at 1 o'clock

3.) a notch filter that allows more control to dial in a better overall eq/tone across the board...I set it at 12 o'clock

*** I like the AD-2 better both with the Tak ust/piezo/palathetic/Cooltube and the magnetic Baggs M80. The trebles thin out more with the Body Rez from my experience and set at 9 to 10 o'clock is about all I can enjoy in achieving a slightly more natural sound whereas the AD-2 like I said gives a mo betta overall balance/tone.

**** BTW I edited my signal chain cuz I forget to mention that I also use an MXR Carbon Copy...combined with the Seraphim it's angelic!

Hope my description helps Erik,

eric with a c
Thanks Eric with a “c!” That’s exactly what I was wanting to know and I think the Boss would be a more useful tool than the Rez. Especially as the Boss amplifies, is battery operable, and applies a “cheat” eq that isn’t as severe as the Body Rez. I’ll have to pick one up!
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 PM

I play at church into a Behringer PA with:
Gibson J-15 -> Boss TU-3 -> Zoom A3 -> MXR Analog Chorus -> HOF mini reverb -> Radial ProDI. All this fits very nicely on my Pedaltrain nano+

The Zoom works nicely to get minimize the piezo quack and I've recently added some compression in one of its patches and that seems to add a nice shine to my tone. The chorus and reverb are on just enough to fatten the tone but not so loud as to be heard themselves (unless you know what to listen for). Like most folks here, I use my TU-3 to mute (and of course to tune when necessary...)

I'm wondering if a Boss AD-2 would help me at all with the quack left over from my Zoom. Has anyone used a Zoom A3 and a Boss AD-2?

Best,
PJ
Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I play at church into a Behringer PA with:
Gibson J-15 -> Boss TU-3 -> Zoom A3 -> MXR Analog Chorus -> HOF mini reverb -> Radial ProDI. All this fits very nicely on my Pedaltrain nano+

The Zoom works nicely to get minimize the piezo quack and I've recently added some compression in one of its patches and that seems to add a nice shine to my tone. The chorus and reverb are on just enough to fatten the tone but not so loud as to be heard themselves (unless you know what to listen for). Like most folks here, I use my TU-3 to mute (and of course to tune when necessary...)

I'm wondering if a Boss AD-2 would help me at all with the quack left over from my Zoom. Has anyone used a Zoom A3 and a Boss AD-2?

Best,
PJ
I’d like to see someone try it but I bet that would be too much compression and modeling. I’m willing to bet it would sound squished and over-processed.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 10-26-2017, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big believer in the KISS Principle...

K&K Pure pickup into TC Electronics PolyTune Mini Tuner>Source Audio 4-channel Programmable EQ>Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble>Orchid Muting DI. All on my Pedaltrain Mini board.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:22 PM

It depends on which guitar I'm playing, which system I'm plugging into and what I'm trying to achieve. In general, of the pedals I own, my favorite is the old Digitech JamMan Solo looper with the F3X aux pedal. After that it's the Zoom A3, HOF reverb, Digitech Chorus and Boss Blues Driver pedal. I own a Tube Screamer pedal but I prefer the Boss Blues Driver for coloring my acoustic when I use color. If the Loudbox Mini can be considered a pedal, I like having that in the signal chain when I use my K&K equipped guitar.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 PM

Strymon Decco. My one and only pedal.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:54 PM

I use the LR Baggs Session pedal, that's it.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
Strymon Decco. My one and only pedal.
I have the deco on my electric board but have never tried it in my acoustic rig. I am intrigued. Will have to give it a go
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 AM

My pedalboard is: LR Baggs Venue --> TC Ditto X2 --> TC Helicon H1

So, really no "effects" pedals. Just a preamp/boost/tuner into a looper into a vocal harmonizer.

Then into an Allen & Heath ZED mixer where I add a touch of delay/reverb.

Into an LD Systems Maui G2.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 10-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Fisherman's Aura Spectrum DI with a Fishman's passive piezo on my Bourgeois OM Custom (Adi and Pao rosewood).

Great match!
Fishman AURA Spectrum DI
Strings:11-52 Elixir Nanoweb

Severely addicted for the last 50 years to John Renbourn's and Bert Jansch music.
Follower of Clive Caroll and Eric Skye's music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification