The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Default PSA Heads up for used Cathedral Pipes U47 style mic

If I were interested in buying a top tier used tube mic I would give this some real consideration as It is already at a pretty good price and the seller will consider offers.

I happen to stumble across the ad in the Classified's over on the Gear Slutz forum.
for a used Cathedral Pipes Notre Dame. ( Used Cathedral Pipes mics for sale is something you do not see very often)

If someone is looking to get into a Large Diaphragm Condenser tube built using the classic Neumann U47 as a base design. This could be a bargain
The Price new is $2400 the seller is asking $1500
Disclaimer : I know nothing about the seller but you can contact him and get more info In the one photo the mic looks to be in mint condition.

The GS classified is here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-classifieds/1165643-cathedral-pipes-notre-dame.html

The only reason I am posting is that I will not be getting this used mic , however within the next year or two this exact model Mic will in fact be my next purchase. A good tube mic is something I do not have and for some reason (besides the excellent reviews and examples I have listened to on Youtube ) the entire approach of this boutique builder really appeals to me

Here is a Recording Magazine review http://www.cathedralpipes.com/docs/C...s_rec_0215.pdf

Here Is the Cathedral Pipes web sight link for this model : http://www.cathedralpipes.com/notre_dame.php

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-31-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

134 views , no takers and no replies even, oh well. Seems like it will be a really nice mic at really good price for someone. I realize it is not a wellknown make but I am a bit surprised no one over at GS hasn't snapped it up.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM

Hey Kev, if you're wondering why that mic hasn't been snapped up by the GS crowd, I have said this many times before, a good share of the Gearslutz crowd are like lemmings, they stick to many of the myths propagated by a few select people there, not realizing that many of myths are being steered by people that have an agenda. It seems to me that many of the forward thinkers are in the low-end area, because many of those folk are on a limited budget. So they make do with what they have, but are willing to take a chance on something new or less popular if they get a deal. Only a few of the folks in the higher end side have the courage to step up and try something new. I am kind of 47 mic overloaded at the moment, or I would buy this exact mic, but I feel it is vocal oriented and and I have that covered, and another thing, since I record many of my acoustic guitars with LDCs I generally like microphones with a bit less lowend than the Notre Dame as it has a huge proximity effect, and generally use something with more of an airy top-end, like my Violet Flamingo, or a Blue Kiwi, or a perfect example, my RODE Classic II which is maliciously talked down upon by the Gearslutz crowd. So that has me waiting on a deal on the Cathederal Pipes St Regensburg Dom which would fit my needs a bit better as it generally been described as having a bit more of an detailed top-end than the Notre Dame, which has been described as having a classic 47 style top-end rolloff. If someone needed a great 47 style vocal mic, I think this Notre Dam at $1500 would be a steal!
Old 08-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I don't think anyone makes gear that's any more aesthetically pleasing and interesting than Cathedral Pipes but my 47 needs are covered quite nicely.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Hey Kev, if you're wondering why that mic hasn't been snapped up by the GS crowd, I have said this many times before, a good share of the Gearslutz crowd are like lemmings, they stick to many of the myths propagated by a few select people there, not realizing that many of myths are being steered by people that have an agenda. It seems to me that many of the forward thinkers are in the low-end area, because many of those folk are on a limited budget. So they make do with what they have, but are willing to take a chance on something new or less popular if they get a deal. Only a few of the folks in the higher end side have the courage to step up and try something new. I am kind of 47 mic overloaded at the moment, or I would buy this exact mic, but I feel it is vocal oriented and and I have that covered, and another thing, since I record many of my acoustic guitars with LDCs I generally like microphones with a bit less lowend than the Notre Dame as it has a huge proximity effect, and generally use something with more of an airy top-end, like my Violet Flamingo, or a Blue Kiwi, or a perfect example, my RODE Classic II which is maliciously talked down upon by the Gearslutz crowd. So that has me waiting on a deal on the Cathederal Pipes St Regensburg Dom which would fit my needs a bit better as it generally been described as having a bit more of an detailed top-end than the Notre Dame, which has been described as having a classic 47 style top-end rolloff. If someone needed a great 47 style vocal mic, I think this Notre Dam at $1500 would be a steal!
Yes I am aware of the sometimes "trendy" and fickle nature of GS. Interestingly enough it was on GS that I first heard about Cathedral Pipes, with a flurry of interest and some very favorable reviews a few years back.
About the Regensburg I guess I had not heard that it is said to be a bit more detailed in the top end. That actually might be a better fit for my voice as I tend to have a fairly mid to lower mid voice that benefits from some air in the high end. I had decided on the Notre Dame but now I am not so certain oh well it I suspect either would be a stellar addition to my sparse collection.
Currently I am using a Brauner Phantom V which is Brauners FET with selectable polar pattern. Which is quite good on my voice and acoustic guitar , but because it is so accurate and detailed in the high end can be a bit sibilant with my voice at times causing me to use a de-esser plugin.
So my conundrum getting enough high end detail without being to sibilant

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 09-01-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Hey Kev, if you're wondering why that mic hasn't been snapped up by the GS crowd, I have said this many times before, a good share of the Gearslutz crowd are like lemmings, they stick to many of the myths propagated by a few select people there, not realizing that many of myths are being steered by people that have an agenda. It seems to me that many of the forward thinkers are in the low-end area, because many of those folk are on a limited budget.
Actually I think the vast majority of the GS people are "on a limited budget." And generally much younger than, say, here. Way more utter nonsense, and way way more opinions based on opinions. The hat:cattle ratio is very high.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 09-01-2017 at 10:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD