The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-13-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Eleventh Cordoba on the way...

Just bought a GK Pro negra. Have owned two blancas and loved 'em both... but I was sitting here, bored out of my skull in a work meeting and started surfing the Musician's Friend website. This isn't the first time I've spent a lot of money during a boring work meeting! Anyways... I stumbled on a blem negra model for $1011. I've been curious about the negra GK Pro for some time, so I jumped at the chance to save $600 on the price of a NIB one. For whatever reason, they automatically applied at $100 discount to the price before checkout, so I'm getting it for $700 off, and I used my MF card to go with a 36 month, no interest plan. $25 a month for what should be another awesome Cordoba Luthier series instrument is a great deal.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 PM

Nice! Post us some pics and your review when she arrives!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
Nice! Post us some pics and your review when she arrives!
Will do!!!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:57 AM

Have been looking to pick up a GK Pro Negra for a while now. Looking forward to your review!
Old 12-15-2016, 07:09 AM

I've had my GK Pro Negra for close to 1 1/2 years now. It's still my go-to guitar on a daily basis.

After the holidays, I plan on selling my C!0, it's just collecting dust.

FWIW- I have settled on Savarez Cantiga normal tension strings on my GK Pro Negra. I really like the sound and feel of these strings.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I've had my GK Pro Negra for close to 1 1/2 years now. It's still my go-to guitar on a daily basis.

After the holidays, I plan on selling my C!0, it's just collecting dust.

FWIW- I have settled on Savarez Cantiga normal tension strings on my GK Pro Negra. I really like the sound and feel of these strings.

Dave
I've sure have loved my two GK Pro blancas. I'm going into this negra thing with the expectation that it won't be as dry and raspy as my blancas. Which is fine, because it's always good to have other tonal options. But I'd be surpised if I like it more than the blancas. I really like the bright, snappy blanca tone. I've experimented with various strings this year and so far, I prefer the Luthier Series Populare 20 set over everything. The Tomatito strings were my second favorite.

Last edited by Red_Label; 12-15-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

The guitar showed-up yesterday. I bought it as a Level 3 blem from Musician's Friend, which is referred to as a "scratch & dent". I've always had great luck with them before when taking a chance on a less-than-perfect instrument. This time, I noticed a 3 inch crack radiating out along the wood grain, from the input jack at the rear. This in itself isn't a big deal, as my last/second GK Pro blanca also had this going-on when I received it. In fact, once I released the tension on the nut that holds the jack in place... the crack mostly went away. It hadn't gone all the way through the finish. It would be a very easy fix to fully repair it and I may do it eventually, but haven't needed to thus far.

Anyways, this crack was all the way through the finish, so backing the nut out a ways didn't make the crack seem to mostly disappear. No biggie... I can live with that (and repair it down the road). So I tuned the instrument up and played it for a short time. After playing for a while, I noticed a crack in the top, running from the bridge all the way to the lower-bout of the guitar. BUMMER! That is much harder to live with. It didn't affect the playability or tone of the instrument, but is of much greater concern to me... considering how lightly braced and built flamenco guitars are. So I called MF and told them that I'd like to return it. As I was chatting with the rep, I did mention that if they were to discount the instrument further, I might elect to just keep it and have the crack(s) repaired by a local luthier. He asked me to take pictures of the cracks and send them to him, and then he'd discuss that with a supervisor. That was later yesterday afternoon and I haven't yet heard back from him on that.

Last night I decided to go ahead and play the guitar for a while, in case I elect to keep it. It's got very robust tone, like my blancas, but with a slight added depth and fullness that my blancas do not have. I attribute this to the rosewood back/sides versus their cypress. It's a wonderful instrument (like they are) and if the discount is agreeable to me, I'll go ahead and keep it and eventually, have it repaired. For a true A/B comparison between my blancas, I'd have to string it up with the same strings that I have on them (Luthier Popular Supreme 20). I didn't want to do that last night, in case I end-up returning this instrument. But if I end-up choosing to keep it, I'll go ahead and put the Luthier strings on it and then post a comparison of the negra vs. blanca GK Pro here in this thread. Suffice it to say that (outside the crack issue) I am as impressed with the negra as I have been the blancas (and indeed, all other of the Cordoba Luthier series instruments). The rosewood back and sides are beautiful by the way.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM

Sounds like despite the bit of repair needed, it's a keeper. Cool.

I think one of these Cordobas is in my future...every time I pick one up I'm reminded of how much bang for the buck they are...a truly great guitar at a very affordable price.

I've had very good luck with the MF Scratch and Dent options. Now post some pictures!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-21-2016, 08:41 AM

judging by your description, I'd bet that the guitar was dropped sometime in it's life before arriving at your doorstep.

I hope you get the situation resolved to your satisfaction...

keep us posted
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

*** UPDATE ***

Looks like it'll be going back to MF tomorrow. The discount wasn't enough to justify keeping it with that large crack in the top and the one at the jack. I'm bummed because I really like it, but I don't wanna pay nearly full price for a guitar with those issues. I rarely return anything, but in this case I think it's prudent.

I have been busy dealing with the fall-out from a vehicle accident (guy slammed into us HARD from behind on the interstate, driving us into the side of a semi trailer) last Friday that resulted in me having a broken nose, concussion, sore neck, and headaches. So that's taken the majority of my time and attention (besides working my day job) and I haven't had a chance to post the pics that I took to a hosting site. I will post them at some point for the curious here.

I did play the guitar more last night and I really like its slightly fuller, more robust sound over my blancas. So down the road I do intend to get another negra. Hopefully I like it as much as this one. It's a crap shoot when mail ordering these things. The closest dealer is 140 miles away, over a mountain pass (which I drove over preceding my recent accident)... so going over there this time of year isn't a huge temptation for me. But maybe I'll go over there in the spring... or maybe I'll succumb to temptation at some point and try another online purchase. I've always had good luck with them and this is probably one of the very few that haven't worked-out for me. My wallet thanks me for the short reprieve.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope that you heal up quick!!
Old 01-03-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
*** UPDATE ***

Looks like it'll be going back to MF tomorrow. The discount wasn't enough to justify keeping it with that large crack in the top and the one at the jack. I'm bummed because I really like it, but I don't wanna pay nearly full price for a guitar with those issues. I rarely return anything, but in this case I think it's prudent.

I have been busy dealing with the fall-out from a vehicle accident (guy slammed into us HARD from behind on the interstate, driving us into the side of a semi trailer) last Friday that resulted in me having a broken nose, concussion, sore neck, and headaches. So that's taken the majority of my time and attention (besides working my day job) and I haven't had a chance to post the pics that I took to a hosting site. I will post them at some point for the curious here.

I did play the guitar more last night and I really like its slightly fuller, more robust sound over my blancas. So down the road I do intend to get another negra. Hopefully I like it as much as this one. It's a crap shoot when mail ordering these things. The closest dealer is 140 miles away, over a mountain pass (which I drove over preceding my recent accident)... so going over there this time of year isn't a huge temptation for me. But maybe I'll go over there in the spring... or maybe I'll succumb to temptation at some point and try another online purchase. I've always had good luck with them and this is probably one of the very few that haven't worked-out for me. My wallet thanks me for the short reprieve.
Good thinking John and hope you heal quickly!. Hal
Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 PM

I have a Cordoba Fusion 12 in maple body. Its got a spot in the top three guitars I own 000-15, Alvarez/Yairi and now this one. Three different animals, all great to play. The Cordoba is the only one with built in p/u and it does sound really good amped. A real keeper.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the well wishes guys, they're much appreciated. I'm doing pretty well and consider myself to be VERY fortunate, considering that we did battle with a loaded semi-trailer on the interstate and walked away from it. A broken nose, facial lacerations, sore neck, and headache were the only immediate fall-out from it. Though I did experience a strange, sudden issue with my right arm a week later (felt like a torn rotator cuff) that may turn-out to be an on-going thing. It was a real issue for two days that had me barely being able to use my right arm, but then it mysteriously mostly went away. I've talked to several people who've been in accidents who had similar symptoms... who ended-up having herniated disks in their necks that were cause the arm issues. So who knows where I'll end-up with that. But I'm feeling good at the moment and crossing my fingers that I continue to feel so.

One thing I forgot to mention was that my Cordoba GK Pro blanca was in an SKB hard case in the back of the Chevy Tahoe that we were riding in when we got rear-ended. I was too messed-up from the accident to check on it all day. But when I picked it up from a coworker's house later that night (she had to retrieve it from the wrecked car for me), and opened the case at home... it was as good as new. I was very relieved for that! I also had my Fishman Loudbox Mini in the back there and it seems to be fine, though I should plug into it tonight and verify that for insurance purposes!

Thanks again for the well-wishes and I definitely still plan to end-up with a GK Pro negra at some point (though my F10 and blanca have been fully satisfying me).
Old 01-12-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Just bought a GK Pro negra. Have owned two blancas and loved 'em both... but I was sitting here, bored out of my skull in a work meeting and started surfing the Musician's Friend website. This isn't the first time I've spent a lot of money during a boring work meeting! Anyways... I stumbled on a blem negra model for $1011. I've been curious about the negra GK Pro for some time, so I jumped at the chance to save $600 on the price of a NIB one. For whatever reason, they automatically applied at $100 discount to the price before checkout, so I'm getting it for $700 off, and I used my MF card to go with a 36 month, no interest plan. $25 a month for what should be another awesome Cordoba Luthier series instrument is a great deal.

Hey Johnny, Where are you stashing all these great guitars??. How about some pix?. Hal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical