The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2015, 06:53 PM

Default PRE/POST DI switch?

I've set my sights on a Fishman Platinum Preamp. I'm just trying to decide whether to go with the platinum pro or the stage.

Anyway ice noticed on both there is a PRE/POST DI switch. Can anybody explained what this is for and what situations you would use PRE and POST?

I would connect my guitar to it by 1/4 jack and then XLR out to my PA mixer. Which settings would I use?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-21-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I've set my sights on a Fishman Platinum Preamp. I'm just trying to decide whether to go with the platinum pro or the stage.

Anyway ice noticed on both there is a PRE/POST DI switch. Can anybody explained what this is for and what situations you would use PRE and POST?

I would connect my guitar to it by 1/4 jack and then XLR out to my PA mixer. Which settings would I use?
PRE would take the pre-amplified input direct to the DI out, bypassing the filters, EQ and any effects loop. POST outputs to the DI after the EQ, etc. So, to your own PA you'd want to use POST but if you had a house engineer with a top quality board that you trust to do your EQ then you might send the PRE out.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:00 PM

Thanks that makes sense : )

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Anyway ice noticed on both there is a PRE/POST DI switch. Can anybody explained what this is for and what situations you would use PRE and POST?
hi Nick…

I always use POST. I own the Stage model (awesome little preamp in my Voyage-Air case).

PRE/POST only affect the XLR output.

If set to PRE, the signal is passed through at proper balanced level directly from the guitar and before tone/volume shaping…tone/volume have no affect on the signal in PRE.

If it's set to POST, all shaping from the preamp is applied to the XLR signal, but the volume controls on the preamp still have no effect on the XLR send (set to proper balanced levels).

The ¼" Line out signal is unaffected by the PRE/POST setting. So if you are feeding an amp and the house PA simultaneously, you can choose shaped or unshaped sound to send the house via XLR, (and it's easy to try it both ways).

I have a Stage Platinum, and I always shape the basic sound I want with the preamp (it's why it's in the chain), then send the pre-adjusted signal to both amp and PA post-EQ simultaneously for them to tweak further (if needed).

I have been using K&Ks for over a decade. In whatever guitars they are in, we start by cutting the bass (by ear), locating offensive mids and backing them down, and running the treble between noon and 2pm on the dials (by ear). It's just a good average setting to start with, and it is the job of our in-line preamps. Doesn't matter if I'm running them through PA or amp.

I suppose if you have a great sounding pickup that suffers from weak output, the PRE would give you the option to pass through with preamplification at balanced levels.

The nice thing is Fishman gives us the option.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 AM

Thanks Larry

I think if the pro had phantom power id definitely go for that. But the stage does seem to have all the basic features I would need for any situation so will probably end up with that first and may get both eventually!

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Larry

I think if the pro had phantom power id definitely go for that. But the stage does seem to have all the basic features I would need for any situation so will probably end up with that first and may get both eventually!
Hi Nick…

Choices, choices, choices…they were pretty simple for me. I was looking for something much simpler than the ParaDI super adjusters we have tons of, and a little more elaborate than my UltraDI Max (which sounds awesome but weighs nearly 2 pounds).

The main add-ons/differences to the Platinum Pro (over the Stage) are the buttons are higher profile (stick up higher), compressor, the boost (and tuner) are foot switches not a button, effects loop, and there is a notch filter, and presence added which are not on the Stage.

The display for tuner/battery is only on the Pro; the Stage has a low battery light which supposedly comes on when you have an hour or power left. As to why they elected not to make it phantom powered leaves me scratching my head, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker/maker for me.

The Pro was not worth more than double the price for my uses.

The compactness of the Stage (nearly ¼ the size of the Pro), and the fact it has all the basics I want/need/expect in a decent preamp drew me to it. The low profile knobs help it fit in all my gear cases better. It slips in the back pack section of my Voyage-Air bag when we travel (wrapped in a cotton shop towel).

I don't need presence or compression, and prefer the switchable bass cut to the dial version. I don't use effects, so the effects-loop isn't an issue. I have had dedicated notch filters on ParaDI, and on several of my acoustic amps for years and never touched them for live play.

I'd buy a pair of the Platinum Stage preamp before I bought a Pro. Fortunately for my budget, there are at least 5 other single channel preamps of similar quality in my PA gear here at our house.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-25-2015, 05:03 AM

I'm sold Larry I have a stage preamp arriving in the post later on today. Also got a good deal on a neo-d humbucker for my sigma 000m-15. Heard they pair well with the platinum preamps

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification