The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Multi-effect stompbox

I know this has been discussed for a number of times, but help. I am looking for a multi-effect floor pedal. And I want to experiment with fancy delays and reverbs, aside from some good comp and chorus. Yes, several effects simultaneously, probably at least 3.

Aaaand yes if possible I want it to be relatively small - I gave up building a rack and would rather have presets than lots of pedals. So space is a factor, then good quality effects then ease of use. Not interested in having multiple inputs (such as the G natural) - just a jack input.

So basically I narrowed it down to this list:

1. Eventide H9 - pricey to high heaven, but it sounds incredible and is easy to work with on an ipad/iphone. Doesn't have DI out though.
2. TC Electronic G Natural (again, pricey) or
3. TC Electronic Nova system (cheaper and could use it on the rare occasions I play electric)
4. Zoom G3 / G3x

Any ideas and experience with the above, guys?...
Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 PM

FIRST POST??? welcome to the Forum!

Yes, a search will give you lots of info on this topic, but I have high praise for the Zoom G3. Super simple and intuitive to operate, well under $200, a quality company, tons of effect types and extremely easy modification of them all to your liking. I haven't used the other ones on your list but I have used a number of others and am very happy with the G3. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-18-2015, 08:11 AM

Zoom G3 here also. I picked up a used one a couple of years ago. I used it with both my electric and acoustic guitars until I switched over to a VoiceLive 3. To me the Zoom G3 sounds good; reverbs, delays, and lots of other effects. You can stack six effects together if you want to and if you leave it in patch mode then you can line up three effects and use the switches as on and off which is what I do at times. You can also use it with your electric guitars since it has amp simulators in it also. I also like the smaller size which makes it easy to carry around.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:25 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
FIRST POST??? welcome to the Forum!

Yes, a search will give you lots of info on this topic, but I have high praise for the Zoom G3....and am very happy with the G3. Good luck!
Many thanks buddy I have been... more of a lurker actually, better to read first ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TrackJoe View Post
I picked up a used one a couple of years ago. I used it with both my electric and acoustic guitars until I switched over to a VoiceLive 3.
Thanks for the advice, really great!! Joe I'm really looking for a quiet unit. I had a Zoom A2 and, while it was built like a tank, sound was meh. Ran through a TC Electronic G major - nice, but cumbersome to set up. Would you rather recommend the Voicelive?

The Eventide I have just tried. It's absolutely stunning and is indeed...minute, imagine two packs of cigarettes side by side. But 500 USD is obnoxious.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammons View Post
Many thanks buddy I have been... more of a lurker actually, better to read first ...

Thanks for the advice, really great!! Joe I'm really looking for a quiet unit. I had a Zoom A2 and, while it was built like a tank, sound was meh. Ran through a TC Electronic G major - nice, but cumbersome to set up. Would you rather recommend the Voicelive?

The Eventide I have just tried. It's absolutely stunning and is indeed...minute, imagine two packs of cigarettes side by side. But 500 USD is obnoxious.

For what you are wanting to do the VoiceLive 3 would be too expensive and overkill, IMO, since it's a voice processor, guitar processor and looper all in one. Plus it is expensive. I only got mine from selling off gear, saving my money and then catching the price drop on it back in April to get a good deal on it.

I have the Zoom A2 also and to me and from what I've read in reviews the effects of the Zoom G3 sound better. That is subjective to the individual. There is also the Line 6 M9 and M13, but both of them are more expensive than the G3. The M series do not have any amp modeling only effects. I did have a RP500 for a short period of time and would have kept it except I just didn't use it enough to justify letting it sit in the closet. Another possibility is the Boss ME series. You can use the COSM for your electric guitar and the effects for your acoustic. I personally have not played with the ME or GT boxes enough to comment on the sounds.

If you have some music/guitar stores locally that carry any of the devices I would recommend going and checking them out. If you can find a day that you have a lot of time to just sit down and play/listen or if the store has an easy return policy that would be my first suggestion. Tons of YouTube videos to watch, but keep in mind the audio is always subjective due to the compression for streaming. The Zoom G3 to me is a lot of "Bang for the Buck" due to the price, sound and the layout. All of this is just my perspective from my experience. As for the sound there are other factors do come into play; the guitar, pickup system and the amp that you are playing through.

Good luck in finding what will work for you.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TrackJoe View Post
For what you are wanting to do the VoiceLive 3 would be too expensive and overkill, IMO, since it's a voice processor, guitar processor and looper all in one. Plus it is expensive. I only got mine from selling off gear, saving my money and then catching the price drop on it back in April to get a good deal on it.

I have the Zoom A2 also and to me and from what I've read in reviews the effects of the Zoom G3 sound better. That is subjective to the individual. There is also the Line 6 M9 and M13, but both of them are more expensive than the G3. The M series do not have any amp modeling only effects. I did have a RP500 for a short period of time and would have kept it except I just didn't use it enough to justify letting it sit in the closet. Another possibility is the Boss ME series. You can use the COSM for your electric guitar and the effects for your acoustic. I personally have not played with the ME or GT boxes enough to comment on the sounds.

Good luck in finding what will work for you.
Again thanks Joe, exactly what I needed. Yes of course gonna go hands on with stuff. Just wanted to narrow things down a bit. While I like trying out equipment, it can be time-consuming - and oftentimes people who own/owned things can highlight advantages or disadvantages one wouldn't spot after after a 15 minutes trial, however thorough.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:58 AM

i had the zoom A2 and now have one G3 and one G3X on different boards.
they have a newer chip than the A2 and are quieter and sound better imho

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification