The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Default 1 spot power chord

i have a one spot power suppy for my baggs venue. i also use the ditto looper. don't they make a splitter or something so i can power both devices with the one spot? the smallest adapter i can find has 5 extensions on in and i don't need all that.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

thinki found somethinG. will this work?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PPAV
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
thinki found somethinG. will this work?
No, that's the opposite of what you want.
This might work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-2-1mm...530?rmvSB=true
Old 08-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

thanks for the heads up. might just buy another power adapter since i only have 2 devices to plug in.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
thanks for the heads up. might just buy another power adapter since i only have 2 devices to plug in.
You might be better off splitting one power supply rather than risking a second one and a possible ground loop.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-17-2015, 09:18 PM
I know that one

One Spot has a couple of different multi-plug cables available - they have a 5 plug and an 8. I've added a link to the 5 plug

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Sound-S...t+power+supply
Old 08-18-2015, 09:53 AM

Yeah just get the five spot one. Bundle up the unused ones with a twist tie. You'll be glad you bought it when you decide to get that third pedal, fourth pedal, etc.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
You might be better off splitting one power supply rather than risking a second one and a possible ground loop.
This is backwards. Power adapter outputs are isolated from the mains, and thus will be isolated from each other, no ground loop. On the other hand, daisy chains share grounds, so they will always create a ground loop in conjunction with the cable ground.

For what it's worth, I have never had problems with ground loop noise, even using up to 10 pedals on a single daisy chain in high-gain situations with an electric guitar. YMMV.

Edit:
The Ditto is both digital and power hungry. Sharing power supplies between analog and digital circuits is usually a bad idea, for several reasons:

First, digital circuits tend to inject lots of high-frequency noise onto the supply wires, which can get amplified by any analog circuits that share the same supply. Symptom: noise. Lots of it.

Second, digital circuits use far more current than analog circuits, but the current consumption of an analog circuit usually depends on the input signal. So the performance of either circuit can suffer if the shared power supply doesn't have enough current capacity. Symptoms: noise, intermittent signal cutout, simple refusal to pass any signal at all.

Third: Digital circuits rely on very precise voltages to operate. Too high or too low voltage, the circuit will often simply shut down to protect itself. The variable current draw of an analog circuit sharing a power supply can cause voltage swings that the digital circuit can't tolerate. Symptoms: Intermittent or constant refusal to operate.

My Ditto X2 refuses to play nice on a daisy chain. It simply won't turn on. Even in bypass. I recommend you buy a separate adapter for the Ditto. Make sure it meets the current capacity requirements of the unit.

Last edited by induction; 08-19-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by induction View Post
This is backwards. Power adapter outputs are isolated from the mains, and thus will be isolated from each other, no ground loop. On the other hand, daisy chains share grounds, so they will always create a ground loop in conjunction with the cable ground.

For what it's worth, I have never had problems with ground loop noise, even using up to 10 pedals on a single daisy chain in high-gain situations with an electric guitar. YMMV.

Edit:
The Ditto is both digital and power hungry. Sharing power supplies between analog and digital circuits is usually a bad idea, for several reasons:

First, digital circuits tend to inject lots of high-frequency noise onto the supply wires, which can get amplified by any analog circuits that share the same supply. Symptom: noise. Lots of it.

Second, digital circuits use far more current than analog circuits, but the current consumption of an analog circuit usually depends on the input signal. So the performance of either circuit can suffer if the shared power supply doesn't have enough current capacity. Symptoms: noise, intermittent signal cutout, simple refusal to pass any signal at all.

Third: Digital circuits rely on very precise voltages to operate. Too high or too low voltage, the circuit will often simply shut down to protect itself. The variable current draw of an analog circuit sharing a power supply can cause voltage swings that the digital circuit can't tolerate. Symptoms: Intermittent or constant refusal to operate.

My Ditto X2 refuses to play nice on a daisy chain. It simply won't turn on. Even in bypass. I recommend you buy a separate adapter for the Ditto. Make sure it meets the current capacity requirements of the unit.
Two switching power supplies can put different noise on their output grounds (and power) causing a ground loop and power supply noise issues; though presumably the signal cables between pedals should suppress the weak ground loop part of that problem. My X2 had no problems on a daisy chain, but it has an internal switching power supply and your milage may vary. I used to have a Korg tuner pedal which would not start up on my 1spot. When switching power supplies are cascaded, they can get hung up in startup and never reach the intended output voltage (and a Y-adapter might aggravate that for just the right combination of supply and loads). The low cost switching supplies in the newer high current power supplies are far from bullet proof. All of this stuff is rare, but it does happen. I would try the cheap Y-adapter first. BTW, in general, digital circuits are quite tolerant of wide power supply voltages. I retired after 30 years as an EE in the semiconductor industry. Tight power supply tolerances generally only come into play in circuits being optimized for power consumption, which is not the case for your effects pedals.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-19-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 AM

While I don't disagree with most of your post, this bit is simply wrong:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Two switching power supplies can put different noise on their output grounds causing a ground loop, though presumably the signal cables between pedals should suppress it.
That's not a ground loop. A ground loop is quite literally ground node that forms a closed loop or coil. If there is a time-varying magnetic field that passes through this loop, it will generate current in the loop, which can manifest as noise in the signal. With two separate adapters, the adapter grounds are connected by the signal ground in the patch cable, but not connected via the power source. Thus there is no loop (unless you coil the adapter cables, which exclusion is not confined to the two-adapter problem), thus no connected pathway for current to flow, thus no induced noise signal.

It is true that noise in one adapter can infect a circuit that it isn't plugged into in a couple of different ways, including by injecting noise via the signal cable ground. But that isn't a ground loop, that's just a noisy ground. Both types of noise are to be avoided, but I think we disagree on the best way to do that.

For what it's worth, I would never use a switching supply that hasn't been regulated and heavily filtered on an analog preamp or pedal. They're just too noisy for most of the circuits I've ever used. Cheap adapters are a recipe for noise and heartache, but making your own regulator circuit is cheap and easy, so instead of buying expensive power supplies, I use laptop adapters (about $4 at Goodwill) to supply my own homemade, multi-output psu hub with several regulators. The laptop adapters are very noisy, but the regulators and filter caps clean the power up very nicely. The outputs aren't isolated, so ground loops will be present, but they have never caused any noise that I could detect, even when I power multiple pedals from one output via daisy chain.

To anyone who is not comfortable making their own regulator circuits, I recommend buying the more expensive, audio-grade adapters for analog circuits. They are usually linear (not switching), regulated and well-filtered.

As for voltage tolerances on digital circuits, I guess that depends on the age, quality, and internal regulation of the circuits in question, as well as on the amount of hacking you've done to them. It may not be a problem with most modern, commercial, digital pedals, so possibly not something to worry about here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification