The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Please do not misunderstand me. I agree completely with you here. Afterall, the value proposition of a small shop guitar, for me at least, includes that it is easily recognized as a non-assembly line guitar (Martin, Taylor et al). So, if you and Kevin have arrived at the tone target, and, Kevin gives you a choice of woods that he believes he can achieve that target with, then, that is clearly one of the choices you get to make. Go for the one that thrills you.

Steve
Well said.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
congrats on your commission! I love my Ryan and it continues to amaze me each time I pick it up. You can't go wrong with Kevin and he certainly will guide you right!

I love how you are going for an understated look with no paua and let the woods speak for themselves. As for the headstock logo, I had mine done in black pearl so it would blend with the ebony front veneer. At some angles, it looks like the logo disappears.

As for no paua on the top, I love that look. I chose a 12th fret inlay, but other parts of the guitar just spoke wood

That's gorgeous. Is that ebony around the soundhole? I'm more and more convinced to go with zero paua, just ebony binding and BWB purfling all over.

That said, a decorative inlay on the fretboard yours is a very nice, tasteful touch. I would just have trouble picking a motif.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
That's gorgeous. Is that ebony around the soundhole? I'm more and more convinced to go with zero paua, just ebony binding and BWB purfling all over.

That said, a decorative inlay on the fretboard yours is a very nice, tasteful touch. I would just have trouble picking a motif.
it is a macassar ebony. I wanted to match the bevel and also the rear headstock veneer. Kevin has great artistic taste!

I saw a black pearl R logo on one Cathedral and I had to have it on mine. very subtle. I'll try to take some pics.

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 PM

You will absolutely love your Ryan Nightingale! Kevin builds a wonderful guitar and is great to work with!

At Healdsburg a couple of years ago I could not resist a Nightingale in Zircote and Caspian Spruce. I would not hesitate to recommend this combination and I believe the combination is wonderful sonically and aesthetically! Kevin's perspectives I am sure will be valuable!

I wish I could talk you into the flutes. I believe they make a difference in what I can hear from the guitar.

Enjoy the process!

Anyway, here's a couple of shots of my Ryan Nightingale.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo Fingers View Post
You will absolutely love your Ryan Nightingale! Kevin builds a wonderful guitar and is great to work with!

At Healdsburg a couple of years ago I could not resist a Nightingale in Zircote and Caspian Spruce. I would not hesitate to recommend this combination and I believe the combination is wonderful sonically and aesthetically! Kevin's perspectives I am sure will be valuable!

I wish I could talk you into the flutes. I believe they make a difference in what I can hear from the guitar.

Enjoy the process!

Anyway, here's a couple of shots of my Ryan Nightingale.

Fixed it for you. Stunning guitar!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming build. I would also encourage incorporating the beveled flutes, they make a noticeable difference in tone to the player.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Thank you to GraceGuitars for fixing my photos!

Personally, I would not have gone with as much bling either, but picking up the guitar in Healdsburg and hearing the tone and then realizing I would avoid the waitlist was also a motivator!

Additionally I heard Al Petteway play the guitar as well (I believe there are still 3 or so YouTube videos from Healdsburg with him playing the guitar!) and I could not resist!

Kyee- I have admired your Ryan Koa 12 String since you originally posted your build. Your guitar is amazing!

Really think you should consider those flutes!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 PM

+1 on the flutes. I got to spend a few hours in Kevin's shop this afternoon doing extensive A/B between Nightingale and Cathedral, and also testing the impact of the flutes. Playing with and without them covered up. Amazing impact. It's as if the sound comes into 'focus' when flutes open. Really suggest finding a Ryan with 'em and hearing for yourself! May regret the call otherwise...
Old 05-02-2014, 03:08 PM

The flutes are as beautiful, as they are functional.

Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 AM

All the KR guitars I have played have been exceptional...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop