The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Default can anything be done?

have you ever had one of those moments where your solo is just magical and leaves you feeling like you are on top of your game and all is right in the world?

Well what happens if the recording of said solo has a bunch of feed back and is some what muddy? A friend of mine was recording his bands practice and had a great performance that is less than perfect and he asked me to try and clean it up some.

I imported it into Sonar and ran it through Boost11 and tried a few things with no great improvement. can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I might try?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Hi Doug. My experience is you can sometimes use EQ to reduce/improve muddiness. Feedback, tho, is tough to fix.

I assume your friend recorded everything as a band (mono or stereo) and didn't track each, individual instrument/voice. If yes, I think you'll affect the entire track. If he's only interested in his solo, then I'd try to EQ the track and not worry about the other instruments.

He could try to practice the solo note-for-note and re-record it?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 AM

thanks for the reply. I've come to the conclusion that this take is just not going to be decent no matter what I do. the only thing to do learn the riff and re-record it
Old 10-25-2010, 05:52 AM

Doug,

Yup pretty much from what you said. A valuable thing to learn! Try using a feedback buster (google it) and either turn down the mains or the monitors next time.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM

Not really. Just like with photography - if the initial shot (recording in this case) doesn't have the necessary elements then there's little you can do to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Any musician should be able to replicate what they do over and over. Have him take his poor recording and practice with it until he can play it the same over, and over, and over. Then he can re-record it cleanly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD