The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 AM

Default Mixing my recordings

Hi, guys I'm COMPLETELY new to the world of recording and I need some quick help for a school project where I'm going to turning in a song. I wanted to record myself doing a guitar/vocal and then add in a harmonica part which I would record separately. What would be a cheap and easy way to accomplish this? Thanks for any help!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:45 AM

The cheapest way I can think of would be to get a USB mic (eg Samson C01u) which plugs straight in to your computer and use some free DAW software like Ardour or Reaper.

If you're going to take this up as a hobby, a basic XLR mic and soundcard should give you better results. Details of my own budget setup here. This was all good value for me but of course the more you spend the better quality you get.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 AM

I think that Moon sum it up very well. An Usb mic should be enough for what you're trying to accomplish. I'll add a recording tip: While recording, make sure you use a click to keep the tempo. Since you're going to record yourself at least twice, it's very important you can do it at the right tempo.

Regards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD