The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 10:45 PM

Default I want to buy a Martin om-21, and I have some questions.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I want to buy a Martin om21. I wanted to buy new for various reasons, especially the warranty. I simply cannot afford new. I will have to buy used. I am nervous. I recently bought an Epiphone masterbilt from eBay, it had a crack in it when it arrived and another appeared a week later. I bought it over the winter and I'm afraid the air in my apt is very dry. I have since purchased a room humidifier.
Is summertime a better time to buy?
Is a Martin which is made two hours away from where I live, going to be a little more resilient to weather fluctuations than a cheap Chinese guitar? I like to leave my guitars out on a stand for easy access. Will an Om 21 be able to handle that? I would have no problem storing it in a case with a humidifier. Would you feel safe buying a used om21? Any advice on buying used is also welcome.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:13 PM
Guest 728

Welcome to the forum, Jake! I hope you find it as useful and entertaining as I do!

The cracks in your Epiphone are not indicative of how any other guitar might behave -- thousands of people in New Jersey have owned guitars without issue, from handmade customs to Chinese imports. Buying any guitar used always carries a small degree of risk, however, since you don't know how careful the previous owner was with storage and maintenance, so I'd recommend buying from a retailer that allows for returns on used instruments, or perhaps purchasing from a trusted AGF member who can vouch for the conditions under which he or she stored the guitar. But with a modicum of effort, guitars are pretty durable. There's no reason why, with proper care and humidification, a used OM21 won't give you years of reliable enjoyment. Best of luck finding your perfect Martin!

Last edited by Guest 728; 05-27-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:29 AM

I have bought a lot of used Martins. They weren't cracked when I got them and they aren't now. Matters less that is is made a couple hours away as how far away is the dealer and how did they store the guitar since it was built.

I do not leave guitars out. Very little trouble to take them out of a case and put them back in compared to the risk of exposing them to environmental and mis-adventure. There's also the aspect of me not necessarily wanting every visitor to know I have them.

If you buy the OM-21 from a reputable dealer (see right side of page) and take reasonable care of it, no reason it won't last your lifetime and beyond.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeowen View Post

I want to buy a Martin om21. I wanted to buy new for various reasons, especially the warranty. I simply cannot afford new. I will have to buy used. I am nervous. I recently bought an Epiphone masterbilt from eBay, it had a crack in it when it arrived and another appeared a week later. I bought it over the winter and I'm afraid the air in my apt is very dry. I have since purchased a room humidifier.
Is a Martin which is made two hours away from where I live, going to be a little more resilient to weather fluctuations than a cheap Chinese guitar? I like to leave my guitars out on a stand for easy access. Will an Om 21 be able to handle that? I would have no problem storing it in a case with a humidifier. Would you feel safe buying a used om21? Any advice on buying used is also welcome.
Whether the guitar is cheap or costly, wood will do whatever the environment you keep it in wants it to do. No guitar made of solid timbers is any more or less resilient to fluctuations in temperature or humidity than another.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jake and welcome.
I cannit add much to what has already been said. Minimal time for proper care is all that is needed.

One of our forum sponsors, My Favorite Guitars, has a used OM 21
In inventory right now. Jon and Sharon are great to work with, very
reputable and honest. You will find their logo in the right hand column.

Drop Jon an email, explain what you are looking for and your budget. Who
knows, you may own an OM 21 sooner than you think.

Keep us posted.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

Last edited by Godfather; 05-28-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
....Is summertime a better time to buy? .....Is a Martin which is made two hours away from where I live, going to be a little more resilient to weather fluctuations than a cheap Chinese guitar?..... I like to leave my guitars out on a stand for easy access......Will an Om 21 be able to handle that? ..... Would you feel safe buying a used om21? Any advice on buying used is also welcome.
No. Anytime is fine..........No. Not more resilient, possibly less..........DON"T leave the guitar out if the humidity is not optimal............I would feel fine buying any guitar used............ Yes, keep your instruments, ALL OF THEM, properly humidified. This doesn't mean obsess over it. It does mean have an hygrometer in any room that you would consider keeping your guitar out of case and on a stand. If the humidity goes below manufacturer's suggested range, put it in its case - or humidify the room. Likewise, if it's in the case keep an hygrometer in the case and monitor weekly (or as much as needed). Simply making sure your instrument's are comfortable will, almost certainly, keep them crack-free.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 05-28-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:17 AM

Guitar Center has a used OM-21:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mar...r-112276729.gc

They have an excellent return policy, even on used items, so no risk.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 AM

My Martins have been out for decades, either on wall hangers or floor stands, I do have whole house humidifiers, zero problems.

My purchases over the years are about 50/50 new/used, I really don't care if the guitar calls me and the price is appropriate.

An OM-21 new or used is no better or worse than any other Martin, with reasonable care it's a lifetime guitar, happy shopping.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I want to buy a Martin om21. I wanted to buy new for various reasons, especially the warranty. I simply cannot afford new.
Hi Jake, and welcome!

I want to make sure that you know that there are several dealers (see our sponsors as recommended throughout this thread) who sell their new Martin guitars for less than the 'Minimum Advertised Price' you see on dealer websites. Your actual price for a new OM-21 shipped to New Jersey will be a little over $2,000.

Quote:
I will have to buy used. I am nervous. I recently bought an Epiphone masterbilt from eBay, it had a crack in it when it arrived and another appeared a week later. I bought it over the winter and I'm afraid the air in my apt is very dry. I have since purchased a room humidifier. Is summertime a better time to buy?
I have purchased many used guitars. I've had good luck with our classifieds here, the classifieds on The Mandolin Cafe, and Reverb. I'd say the key to a good used transaction is good communication.

Quote:
Is a Martin which is made two hours away from where I live, going to be a little more resilient to weather fluctuations than a cheap Chinese guitar? I like to leave my guitars out on a stand for easy access. Will an Om 21 be able to handle that? I would have no problem storing it in a case with a humidifier.
As has been mentioned, wood is wood, and is susceptible to expanding and contracting with changes in temperature and humidity. I'd strongly recommend keeping the guitar in its case when it is not played. I have very well controlled temp and humidity in my playing room, and when I keep my acoustics on their stands instead of in their cases I invariably get humidity change symptoms (sharper fret edges).

Quote:
Would you feel safe buying a used om21? Any advice on buying used is also welcome.
Without hesitation, as long as I did my "due diligence", and had good communication with the seller. That OM-21 at Guitar Center looks interesting!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on. Again, welcome!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone. Youv'e given me a lot of good info. I feel better now about bringing in and living with a nice guitar, by controlling humidity. I will certainly buy a hygrometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Hi Jake, and welcome!

I want to make sure that you know that there are several dealers (see our sponsors as recommended throughout this thread) who sell their new Martin guitars for less than the 'Minimum Advertised Price' you see on dealer websites. Your actual price for a new OM-21 shipped to New Jersey will be a little over $2,000.
I was not aware of this. It kind of changes my whole perspective.

If this is the case, I am ready to buy!

If anyone can point me in the right diection. I feel if I just randomly call they will quote me full price plus shipping and tax. I really never find good deals on anything. Maury's Music is pretty close to me. They seem to have some in stock. Do you think I could get that kind of deal through them? I'd like to stay as local as possible.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
If anyone can point me in the right diection. I feel if I just randomly call they will quote me full price plus shipping and tax. I really never find good deals on anything. Maury's Music is pretty close to me. They seem to have some in stock. Do you think I could get that kind of deal through them? I'd like to stay as local as possible.

You should definitely call Maury's, and I'm speaking from firsthand experience. Just tell them that you would like to know their best price on the guitar. They'll happily give it to you, but there may be a time limit that they will guarantee this price. Prepare to be amazed.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In your case, I'd say it doesn't matter. In my case, I don't purchase in the summer because I don't want to risk shipping a guitar from the east coast or the midwest to the high desert here in Southern California when the temps along the way would be well over 100°F. Extreme cold might be another reason to avoid shipping.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 05-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Jake welcome to the forum. I'm in NJ also (Bergen County). I have sound hole humidifiers for all of my all guitars (Music Nomad sells a good one) and I have home made soap dish humidifiers - those $1 plastic cases for soap, drill a bunch of holes in it, cut a kitchen sponge to fit - bingo - humidifier for a couple of bucks. I use those for the headstock area of the guitar case.

Because we have forced air heat and a wood burning stove in our family room which is adjacent to our media room, I have to keep my guitars in their cases over the winter and for much of the spring. I keep one laminate out but I will alternate it with another so even the solid top/laminate back and sides guitars get humidified.

Its a fact of life for our area of the country as the humidity changes a great deal from day to day. Once you get in the habit of keeping the guitar in its case and checking the water content of the humidifier every couple of days it becomes second nature.

I bought a hygrometer online from either Musician's Friend or Guitar Center for about $30. Works fine and tells me when to case them during the spring. In the winter they live in their cases.

I had bought my Larrivee OM-05 used from Guitar Center. Do you pay more for a used from a large seller? Probably, but it will most likely have almost zero issues as Guitar Center doesn't buy crap and resell it, except possibly for "vintage" guitars which are for collectors usually anyway (IMO).

If you are up North by me, try Lark Street Music in Teaneck on Cedar Lane. They have a good varied used selection at times.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-29-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Guitar Center has a used OM-21:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mar...r-112276729.gc

They have an excellent return policy, even on used items, so no risk.

I live in Jacksonville. I played this very guitar yesterday afternoon. It had a very good tone, and was on a par with two other new Martins I played that afternoon. Guitar Center keeps their acoustic rooms temperature and humidity controlled so that wouldn't be an issue with this guitar. You can requested to have the guitar transferred to your local Guitar Center where you can evaluate it before you purchase.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
You should definitely call Maury's, and I'm speaking from firsthand experience. Just tell them that you would like to know their best price on the guitar. They'll happily give it to you, but there may be a time limit that they will guarantee this price. Prepare to be amazed.
Ditto on Maury's. He is over the boarder in PA, which is just a hope skip and jump from you, relatively speaking. Don't go by the prices on the web site. Give him a call or shoot him an email. And tell him the Acoustic guitar forum sent you

https://www.maurysmusic.com

If you ship across the boarder u can save on the tax
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, om-21, om21