The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 02:31 PM

Default Fretting hand hurting..

I came on to the forum about a week ago and I was planning to learn finger style. But since then I found Justin Guitar and I'm planning to use this site to learn. But now I also want to improve my rhythm guitar and a bit of 12 bar blues also I've started playing my first scale.
The problem is playing the scale and the 12 bar is hurting my right wrist, I'm OK using my pinky but when I use ring it hurts. Are there any exercises I can do to help to loosen up my old joints. I'm hoping over time my joints will loosen up.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I started playing when I retired a few years ago...at age 63. To prevent developing hand problems I've been doing these exercises twice a day ever sense. Keeps my hands plenty limber.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 05-27-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:45 PM

I assume you're left handed. I have occasional pain from arthritis and simply playing helps loosen the joints - but that's fingers. When you say your wrist hurts I wonder if you're holding it at a strange angle?

You might try stretching your wrist - gently bending it down and holding it with your other hand, and then up. Maybe others have some exercises. Good luck.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-27-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I started playing when I retired a few years ago...at age 63. To prevent developing hand problems I've been doing these exercises twice a day ever sense. Keeps my hands plenty limber. Hopefully they will help your wrist, too.

https://youtu.be/TSrfB7JIzxY
Rev, this is the YTV I always used to learn hand stretches as well. good stuff right there.

This is missed alot for guitar players and bass players alike

-OP

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A SAFE MEMORIAL DAY!!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko Nixon View Post
I came on to the forum about a week ago and I was planning to learn finger style. But since then I found Justin Guitar and I'm planning to use this site to learn. But now I also want to improve my rhythm guitar and a bit of 12 bar blues also I've started playing my first scale.
The problem is playing the scale and the 12 bar is hurting my right wrist, I'm OK using my pinky but when I use ring it hurts. Are there any exercises I can do to help to loosen up my old joints. I'm hoping over time my joints will loosen up.

Hi, I'm a left-handed player, too, who started later in life. Some of the young youtube teachers don't always model the healthiest wrist angle. Are you sure you're not bending it too much?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:35 PM

I'm sorry.. I mean my left fretting / chord hand... It started to hurt playing the scale trying to stretch my ring finger so was still hurting trying to play 12 bar.
Thanks Niko...
Old 05-27-2017, 03:41 PM

It might be a ergonomic thing, keeping the neck horizontal can increase the deflection of the wrist and tends to ( not sure how to explain this ) twist the wrist while trying to keep the fingers perpendicular to the frets. Its a sure way of heading for problems.

Not saying this is whats going on, but pain usually means something is not quite right. It might be worth taking a look at a more classical approach and tilting the neck up a little to present a more comfortable angle to your fretting hand.

There are other benefits too. Resting the guitar on the left leg ( right handed ) or right leg ( if your a lefty ) puts the guitar in a position that transfers easy to how it feels playing standing.

Worth trying for a week or two, if it does'nt help you can always go back to how you were and explore other solutions.

Another thought, have you any good teachers in your local ? it might be worth to spend and hour or so with him / her to see whats going on. A good teacher can often spot something players often overlook
Hope you find a solution
Old 05-27-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry.. I mean my left fretting / chord hand... It started to hurt playing the scale trying to stretch my ring finger so was still hurting trying to play 12 bar.
Thanks Niko...
Doesn't matter. Some of my best friends are righties.

Either way, check out your angle and position; you may need to raise the neck.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Old 05-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Run your hands under warm water for a while before you play and then stretch them as others have advised.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2017, 04:51 PM

How many hours are you playing per day and how long in one stretch?
Old 05-28-2017, 12:53 AM

No more than 1 hour a day.. My wrist started hurting trying to stretch my ring finger to play my first scale.. so playing 12 bar later on did not help.. Think I'll practice other stuff for a while hoping my wrist settles down..
Thanks for the replying everyone...
Old 05-28-2017, 02:48 AM

The stretching exercises that others have mentioned may well help. Also agreed on the possibility that you may have arm, wrist or hand in a position that causes more strain than necessary. Does the hand feel tired before it hurts? If yes, start looking for different angles and positions that are less tiring.

I also got the impression that you are doing things that are new to you. Doing new things puts a strain on your body and mind. As a doctor said when I had knee trouble: "If it hurts, try not to do it quite so much."
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-28-2017, 04:22 AM

Another thing to bear in mind is that when you're starting you put your fretting hand and wrist in positions they're not used to for extended periods (over an hr / day in your case). Even with good form you tend to really strain with your fretting hand until you learn to relax and still effectively hold those positions. As a result a degree of discomfort might not be that unusual.

Still worth following all the advice to minimize it - i'm just saying don't sell your guitar yet
Old 05-28-2017, 05:45 AM

Until late I've not played for a good while so most of what I'm doing is new especialy using my ring finger so I'll rest for a bit then get back in the saddle...
Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Until late I've not played for a good while so most of what I'm doing is new especialy using my ring finger so I'll rest for a bit then get back in the saddle...
Good to take care of it. You might try, later, raise the neck (keep the wrist straight) and start learning the scale further up the neck where the frets are closer together.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion