The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Why does this new AC unit say minimum 12m2?

Wondering about purchasing this for my guitar room, as I hate when it gets too hot..

Looks super easy and great, BUT in the manual it says minimum 13m2 room size?

The product:

http://www.electrolux.se/homecare/ai...er/exp09hseci/

Manual:
http://www.electrolux.dk/vacuums-hom...P09HSECI_da-DK

See bottom right, page 7

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-27-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Removed abbreviated language
Old 05-27-2017, 01:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

I can't get the links to open for me. But 13 square meters equals about 140 square feet.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:48 PM

13 square metres.

A metre is just over 36" or one yard so your room or area should be a minimum of 14' x 14' or 196 square feet. I'm from Canada, eh!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you looking for a conversion from square meters to square feet?

On page 6 it says "Appliance should be installed, operated and stored in a room with a floor area larger than 12 m2"

That's roughly 3 meters x 4 meters = 12 square meters, or roughly 9 ft x 12 ft. (Actually at 10.76 sq feet per Sq meter it's 129 square feet = 12 square meters)

BTW, if you type "square meters to square feet" into google, a conversion tool will be displayed.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 05-27-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:59 PM

My question is what happens if you use it in a smaller room? I have never seen a minimum, but always a max m2
Old 05-27-2017, 02:00 PM

If it's too big for the space, it'll cool the room down quickly without removing much moisture, so you end up with cool, damp air.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
If it's too big for the space, it'll cool the room down quickly without removing much moisture, so you end up with cool, damp air.
Even with the door in to the room open?
Old 05-27-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Delete......I think CMD might have it. And it might cause the unit to short-cycle, which isn't very efficient.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 05-27-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znerken View Post
Even with the door in to the room open?
The minimum square footage should refer to the total space you're cooling using that a/c unit. If your door's open, then the total space you're cooling is larger than that one room.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
The minimum square footage should refer to the total space you're cooling using that a/c unit. If your door's open, then the total space you're cooling is larger than that one room.
Even though it says "floor space"?

The room gets like 26C in the evening, so cooling it down to 20 should
make it run for a little while?

Anyway, if I buy one and try, can it do anything harmful, or will it be fine? All guitars are in case when not played, cases and room has humidity sensors. Also have a room humidifier
Old 05-27-2017, 02:17 PM

Instead of square feet, shouldn't this be in cubic feet to take into account ceiling height?

Put another way if your ceiling is of typical height don't worry bout it.
If you have unusually high ceilings, factor that in.

More volume would require a larger AC unit, but I have no idea how to do that math.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Instead of square feet, shouldn't this be in cubic feet to take into account ceiling height?

Put another way if your ceiling is of typical height don't worry bout it.
If you have unusually high ceilings, factor that in.

More volume would require a larger AC unit, but I have no idea how to do that math.
I guess the manufacturer assumed it is a standard constructed house with 8' walls. On the load factor on the unit, how well is the space insulated? Is the outside wall in direct sunlight or is it shaded? How much glazing... on and on. Almost would cause the customer throw their hands up in the air and look for a box that said (good for around 160 sq ft).

The ac unit will stay on for a longer period of time if it was dropping the temperature down from a higher temperature. But once at temperature the unit will have a shorter on-off cycle. If it has to condition more air from the rest of the house then it will stay on rather than cycle. Probably easier on the unit than having it cycle.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I guess the manufacturer assumed it is a standard constructed house with 8' walls. On the load factor on the unit, how well is the space insulated? Is the outside wall in direct sunlight or is it shaded? How much glazing... on and on. Almost would cause the customer throw their hands up in the air and look for a box that said (good for around 160 sq ft).

The ac unit will stay on for a longer period of time if it was dropping the temperature down from a higher temperature. But once at temperature the unit will have a shorter on-off cycle. If it has to condition more air from the rest of the house then it will stay on rather than cycle. Probably easier on the unit than having it cycle.

So a 10m2 room with the door open is okay?

I live in Scandinavia, so our houses compared to American once for example are totally different. The room it will stand it is in direct sunlight for pretty long, that's why it gets crazy warm. 26 Celsius inside is way too hot for a Viking :-)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 PM

I would call the manufacturer as it is a bit different air-conditioner. Additionally, I see no exhaust hose to exhaust the warm air from the room. As you asked, I don't see it causing a problem if you use it in a smaller room.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I would call the manufacturer as it is a bit different air-conditioner. Additionally, I see no exhaust hose to exhaust the warm air from the room.
There is. You just use it in the window, check this video https://youtu.be/a97Qk7_30RU

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion