The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Default The story of your 1st guitar

This should be fun, try and make it short, 12 line max, I will start;

When I was sixteen I would go over to my friend Brett’s house and watch him play his Teisco electric guitar. I was so jealous and had no means to get one. But then I spied an old beat up no name arch top in his bedroom closet. I asked if I could borrow it and he flatly said, “No way!” I waited for him to go downstairs, boldly grabbed it and threw it in the trunk of my car. He didn’t see a thing and soon we said our goodbyes. On the way home I stopped at K-mart, bought strings and later strung her up. That night he called me up after figuring it out, and at first was mad. But then he said, “Ah, just keep it, I don’t play it”. My fingers bled for months from super high action and heavy gauge strings but I was thrilled and started lessons. When he went off to college he gave me the Teisco as well, but that’s another story. Thanks Brett, wherever you are.

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM

I guess I was about 21. Out of tech school in my first "real" job. And I heard James Taylor's Sweet Baby James album. I was gobsmacked and HAD to learn how to play that stuff.

Guy I worked with was a guitar player. When I mentioned it he said he'd help me find a decent used guitar. So we went to a store. I can't remember if it was a large guitar store or a pawn shop or what. But he selected my guitar. A made in Westerly Guild D50.

Great guitar. I paid $300 for it (a lot of money to me then). Years later I gave that guitar to my nephews. It was played a bit hard by them and lots of pick marks etc but better than than ignored in a closet I guess.

I'd say I miss it but that would be a lie. I don't like guitars that large anymore and I've been fortunate enough to make enough money to buy even better guitars than that one. But I would not have felt poor in life if that was the best guitar I ever owned as it was certainly a wonderful sounding instrument.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM

I turned 50 and had just gotten divorced. Always wanted to learn guitar so I went to the local music store and bought a First Act guitar. It was piece of crap and I returned it five days later. Went on Craigs List and bought a used Seagull S6 which in a way was really my first guitar.

Eight years later and many guitars here I am.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 AM

Oh dear - I hate to tell the story, but I will.

It was a 1975 Takamine F365 Martin Lawsuit guitar - a beautiful D28 replica in every way. I played it for about six months, learning basic strumming and chords. During that time, that guitar commuted between my house and the girlfriend's (* see postscript) house. When the "big" breakup came (the last of several), she announced, "I'm keeping your guitar - you owe that to me!"

My response was, "Fine - keep it"

She became a family lawyer - a very good one, I suspect. I didn't pick up a guitar for thirty years after that. But I've been playing now for ten years.

best,

Rick

PS - sometimes a failed relationship can be a good learning experience - and when you establish a good relationship, you can't believe how easy and wonderful it is. Later, when I met my wife, it was obvious that we were meant for each other (33 years of marriage and counting). I'm still in touch on FB with the ex-girlfriend, but have NO interest in asking about the guitar. My guess is that it has been sitting in her attic for (now) forty years! It probably sounds pretty darn good if the top hasn't split by now.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I was about fourteen when I started asking my older brother and brother-in-law to let me play their guitars and teach me songs.

About three years later, I had a job and saved up ~$200. I went to a local music store and found a nice satin-finished, solid-wood Aria acoustic dread with a cedar top and mahogany body. I knew nothing about guitars and got lucky when I bought this one.

I sold it a couple years later to buy an amp (when I switched to electric), then I drifted away from guitar playing for decades.

When I came back to guitars I learned that first guitar was a hidden gem so I went on a quest and got a duplicate, hanging on my wall next to me. It has a very unique comfortable neck profile and it feel exactly like I remember.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I was nine, saw four guys on the Ed Sullivan show back in the early 60s. Stared at a Silvertone with a tan gig bag in the Sears catalog for months until my parents folded and got me one. Played it for years.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Musical minimalist

Wasn't even really "mine" - but a Stella Harmony (probably '66 or so) that my parents bought for my brother for 59.00 to take lessons on at a local music store - Jack Gridley Music. He took 3 lessons and quit. The guitar had no case - it sat around the house, one time I remember it being in the back yard during a rainstorm and was brought inside.

My brother was 7 years older than I, so by the time I was 12 or so, the strings were about 1/2" off the fingerboard at the 12th fret. I started banging around on it and got to where I could play a few chords. I took it camping with the family one weekend and my parents heard me playing it - they said if I kept it up they'd get me a better guitar.

So, technically my first guitar was an Aspen ash bodied, maple neck strat copy for 149.00 from Marshall Music. But my first acoustic was about a year later (probably '76) from Elderly - a 99.00 Applause with the one piece aluminum fingerboard and frets.

And the rest is history....

Old 05-27-2017, 11:19 AM

Default El Kabong !

Parent's bought this 9-10 year old a Gibson Dread guitar and a years worth of lessons. The catch was my mother's Nazi vs Catholic School Nun-like insistence of one hour a day of practice, strictly enforced despite blistered fingers from the wire strings and high set up. At the end of one year, I could play "Little Brown Jug" and "East side, West Side." My teacher told my parents they were wasting their money because I couldn't read music. I came home and did an El Kabong on that guitar and subsequently used it as kindling to burn the garbage. Didn't try to seriously play guitar again until about three years ago. Bought a Seagull S6 Original and then a Godin Exit 22, then a ....

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 05-27-2017, 11:45 AM

1973 Yamaha FG230 12-string, axe handle neck, high action and perfect for raucous strumming. But, in order highest to lowest, ignorance, ambition, desire and discipline managed to let me teach myself to play Classical Gas on it within a year of buying it. Sort of promotes the saying "If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough."
Old 05-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Watching Glen Campbell and John Denver on TV gave me the itch. In ninth grade, I traded spring sports for a job cleaning a meat packaging business. Bought a well used lawsuit era Les Paul imitation with a Bigsby. Still have it.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Guest316

1971 -- I was 18 and a friend let me play one of his guitars. I learned my first two chords on it (Em and Am). I wrote a song using those two chords the same day, and then the next morning he gave me the guitar! It was a Gibson B-25.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:16 PM

This is not me but is very similar to a photo someone took of me with my first guitar. I think my Dad bought it for me.

Unfortunately, it was about 40 years before I picked up a real guitar and learned to play.

Last edited by Steadfastly; 05-27-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Arrived at my dad's remote Air Force Base once he got base housing just after Christmas when I was 8. Waiting for my brother and me were our couple of presents. Mine was a new Kay Mahogany OM sized guitar. I played that until I purchased a Spanish classical guitar when I was 12. I honestly don't know what ever happened to it. But, it was the beginning of a constant in my life that has lasted almost 50 years. The only constant in my life through moving from coast to coast to .... and wives (like guitars, too many to count), cars, motorcycles, houses, boats, bands and music partners - guitar has remained with me the entire time.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

All I remember was I was supposed to get a guitar for Christmas but there was a delay from Sears. So while on Christmas school break my buddies and I were hanging out. We were about eight or something. The delivery guy shows up with a bunch of boxes. Sears screwed up again and sent several guitars and amps. We opened all the boxes and played with everything. Though we couldn't actually play anything. I didn't get to keep it all though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Default First guitar

It was a stella harmony, actually my sisters giutar. She was so bad that I took it away to keep her from playing it and that's how I started.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion