The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 AM

I have a Concert Masterclass and it is gonna stay with me. The craftsmanship is excellent, it looks great and the sound is very articulate. It is very different from my spruce/EIR models, but very nice. And Barry is right, it does seem to record very well. I am not a fan of maple B&S, but myrtle is in a class by itself.

My friend has an all-myrtlewood Oregon Series concert and it is a joy to play, too. Nice looking, very comfortable, great sound.

And don't forget the Bedell line. Also very nice sounding, IMO more traditional acoustics.

I have been very impressed with the many Breedloves/Bedells that I have played.
2018 Larrivee Custom OM-10 Rosewood/Alpine Moon Spruce/Torch inlay
2018 Taylor 524ce LTD NAMM Show all-walnut
Old 05-27-2017, 10:38 AM

I've always been duly impressed when trying them (especially the myrtle wood ones - how cool) but never quite to the point of actually buying. The last opportunity to try them at any length was at a music store in Bend, OR during a weekend visit. This store is basically the nearest retailer to the factory. They had a pretty good selection, and a nice store too.

Like others have said, I cannot keep the ever-changing plethora of model names and series straight in my mind, so I never know what I am looking at without doing considerable digging. Breedlove would really help themselves by picking a model / numbering / series scheme and sticking with it for a while.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeplaysblues View Post
Breedlove Guitars... Who owns and who likes?
I think Larry Breedlove still owns Breedlove Guitars.

I'm sure he still likes it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I think Larry Breedlove still owns Breedlove Guitars.

I'm sure he still likes it.
Two Old Hippies owns Breedlove. Larry Sold it a long time ago.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Two Old Hippies owns Breedlove. Larry Sold it a long time ago.
Do they like it?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-27-2017, 11:47 AM

I have a masterclass axis, is KOA w/ Adirondack top. I'm more of a fingerstyle player so it was my first dreadnought I picked up on agf forum classified. I have a lot of guitars so if you are interested in is that give a p.m.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

In general, I am very impressed with Breedlove guitars as a whole... once you get past the variance in nomenclature from year to year! In all fairness, the company seems to have "settled" on what to call which guitar over the past 4 years or so...

Some of the inexpensive ones are surprisingly good guitars... and they are "backed" by the full weight of the company in Oregon, should any issues arise. Their quality control is second to none, as is the customer service.

To me, the best sounding cheap guitar they make is the Discovery Concert or Dreadnought... $299 w/ a gig bag, solid Sitka spruce top, laminated Sapele back and sides, no electronics, no cutaway. VERY nice sounding and playing guitars - although a couple I've held have needed a bit of set-up work to suit me.

The Oregon Series guitars are all very nice, excellent tone and value for an American-made instrument with a really nice hardshell case...

Both of these models are built sans the JLD Bridge Doctor gizmo... I'm not entirely "sold" on their use of these.

Of the higher-end guitars, I have played a few that rival the nicest guitars I've ever laid hands on, and some are simply "okay", while a couple have just seemed WAY underpowered, volume-wise, for the money.

Breedlove has a very balanced tone and is different from most of the "major" manufacturers... all across the board, the tone is quite even. For those who "want" a booming bass, this is not your guitar!

I'm pretty well set for my acoustics, so I don't own one. I would get one in a heartbeat if I needed another acoustic...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-27-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

Both of these models are built sans the JLD Bridge Doctor gizmo... I'm not entirely "sold" on their use of these.
Do you play with a pick or with bare fingers? I really like the ones with the JDL system. Very responsive and lively when played with bare fingers. I suspect a heavy flatpick might be able to overdrive them though.

Mine is an American series C20/SR
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I have one of these ... https://www.elderly.com/breedlove-om...ent-130557.htm ... I love it.

So what would be the difference between the Roots series and the Revival series?
Old 05-27-2017, 02:42 PM

I have a Breedlove Master Class CM.
Without a doubt one of the mosr fantastic guitars I have ever owned in fifty years of playing.
Fit, finish, playability, all spectacular.
JonnyD
Old 05-27-2017, 03:22 PM

I have a Breedlove Discovery Dread and just love it! For the price it sounds great. Recently had a bone saddle installed and lowered the action. Tons of fun to play!

Old 05-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I've got 4 Breedloves, 1 from the older Atlas series (AD25SR PLUS), and it is a great sounding, playing guitar. The other three are Masterclass', one of them an Exotic series. In my opinion, they are as good, if not better than some of the other "well known" names out there, that I've played. I have other brands from five or so other manufacturers and I love them all, for different reasons. The breedlove necks, are my favorite profile, by far.
Ed
Old 05-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Do they like it?
Odd question. I would assume so since they purchased it.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:35 PM

I am a fan of their American guitars.
I have a M/C Focus, a Nylon focus, an Oregon concert myrtlewood, and an Oregon concert Cedar/mahogany.
They've become my go to acoustics for gigging.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:50 PM

I own & like a Breedlove

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion