The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-26-2017, 11:06 AM

Default Stolen Instruments

Be aware, at least in New York State, If your instruments are stolen they are gone even if recovered.

Mine have been held for evidence since last September. They will be held until there is a conviction and all appeals have been exhausted. The DA said I could have them back right away if I agreed not to press charges. Like that was going to happen.

My homeowners insurance replaced them 100% so now they own the ones being held. If they are released I will have the opportunity to buy them back but I may not be able to afford it. How can you replace a instrument with a serial number of 1. Buying them back would make me 3rd owner so the lifetime warranty would be gone. Also I don't have any idea how they are stored.

Enough whining for now.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Be aware, at least in New York State, If your instruments are stolen they are gone even if recovered...Mine have been held for evidence since last September. They will be held until there is a conviction and all appeals have been exhausted. The DA said I could have them back right away if I agreed not to press charges...
So as not to violate Forum guidelines, let's just say I'm not the least bit surprised and leave it at that...
Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Be aware, at least in New York State, If your instruments are stolen they are gone even if recovered.

Mine have been held for evidence since last September. They will be held until there is a conviction and all appeals have been exhausted. The DA said I could have them back right away if I agreed not to press charges. Like that was going to happen.

My homeowners insurance replaced them 100% so now they own the ones being held. If they are released I will have the opportunity to buy them back but I may not be able to afford it. How can you replace a instrument with a serial number of 1. Buying them back would make me 3rd owner so the lifetime warranty would be gone. Also I don't have any idea how they are stored.

Enough whining for now.
Thieves are mean.
and
That is an upsetting story.

You don't say if at any time you consulted an attorney to learn if the DA really has that kind of authority. I would be interested to know this.

When my stolen guitars were recovered by the police in another state, they kept them long enough to determine that they were mine and that they had been acquired by the other person illegally. Then I had to pay the shipping back to my home. (It was about 6 weeks in all).
However there was an object the police took from my home because of fingerprints and this they DID keep for nearly 2 or maybe three years, until one day i got a call saying the case had been closed and did i want the object back or should they throw it away for me.

If you did get a legal opinion about your situation I would be interested to hear more.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic