The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Last edited by Mark Stone; Today at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added snort
The snort was a good choice!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Actually I think its a fair question. My take on what the OP is asking is "What are we buying" as I asked the same thing about custom builds.

Last night I was learning a new song which includes hitting the 4th fret 2nd string with my pinky while holding the C note on the 5th string with my ring finger. I used my Alvarez 12 fret short scale so I can make the stretch cleanly. For what I was playing and doing, it was the right guitar.

If I was not a member here, would I own a few guitars at the $1,500 to $2,300 levels or just be happy with my $350 Alvarez for what I do?

A lot of times we are just paying for brand name, but a lot of times our ears are refined enough hear the differences and our style of playing enables us to enjoy the differences.

Somebody who just plays Piedmont blues or rag time doesn't need a guitar with a lot of sustain. The music dictates what is needed.

The bottom line question is "would owning 'Brand X' make you want to pick it up and play it more?"

When you pick up a major brand at above the $1,000 mark, you have an expectation of the tone and quality which is almost always met head on. Taylor makes a good guitar. So does Martin, Gibson, Seagull, Breedlove, etc. Its whatever makes you happy.
I agree. If you had asked me 2 years ago if my main guitar would be a small bodied Gibson, I probably would've laughed out loud. Well, guess what? LOL

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:29 PM

BTW if you are considering a Taylor 12 string there is a 355 in the AGF Classifieds...no affiliation.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:41 PM

A good business name and reputation are worth a LOT of money, to the point of being a recorded asset (accounting) that would be included in any sales price were you to purchase the business. (For a relatively large company, of course.) So you ARE paying a premium for the name alone and it is worth it IF YOU believe the name and reputation are legitimately well-earned. I've not owned a Taylor yet but I've eyed several lustfully and would have several if I were a man of more means. Some of the best guitars out there IMO. Those 300 & 500 series mahogany / blackwood models ... almost enough to make me go into debt. That 355 mentioned above is most likely a wonder.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I own a Taylor, and it is worth every penny I paid for it.
I love it.
I also own a Taylor that I love and is worth every penny I paid for it.

I purchased another Taylor that just didn't have the sound I wanted and was very happy I sold it and never regretted getting rid of it. Found an epiphone that was half the price of that taylor and it sounds just as good and gets played just as much as my really good taylor.

So, try your best to play the taylor you are interested in as much as possible before you pay your good hard earned money for it.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM

McDonald's does not make the best hamburger in the world, but you know exactly what you are getting. That is the value of a brand. It is a short cut so that I don't have to research and test drive from scratch. That applies to all brands -- not just Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Seagull, Yamaha, Eastman, etc.

When I look at or try a Taylor, it is a given that the build quality will be excellent, the neck will be really playable, the factory set-up good, etc. So that has some value to me. If you can find something that works for you for less $$$ then by all means go for it. I own about a dozen different brands. Basically the only multiple examples of the same brand for me is Taylor. FWIW, I have sold three Taylor's in the past two years, with two more to go.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:14 PM

If I were buying a 12 string I would definitely look at Taylor's. They are built to play easily and they're likely to be more stable then other 12 strings in their price range.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:14 PM

I think they are really good high end brand name guitar for the money. I think Seagulls are really good lower end guitars for the money.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 05-26-2017, 03:24 PM

what's a cheese steak?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 PM

There's also the series within Taylor that you have to consider too.
A Taylor 100 series? Excellent bang for the buck. A Taylor 800 series? Yes it's all solid, rosewood back and sides etc. but there you're paying up to $4000 really for fancy binding and inlays and the name on the headstock. Where you could be getting an all solid Epiphone with rosewood back and sides that sounds just as good for $700.
Martin 000-15M
Taylor GS Mini
Old 05-26-2017, 03:50 PM

I don't understand the phrase, "just paying for the brand name".

That would happen if you paid $3,000 and all you got was the Taylor abalone headstock inlay, but no guitar.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:01 PM

All the American made guitars are great value .... in America.

Once they venture outside the USA they can become expensive.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-26-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortiz196 View Post
Hello everybody. I've spent a while evaluating some brands and models of 12 string acoustics. Now tha I have a full radiography of all its features and prices this question is disturbing my dreams: does realy Taylor a real value for the money or we are only paying for a brand? Whats your opinion?
The thread question is about 12 string guitars, not brand wars.

The answer gortiz196 is that (in my opinion) Taylor makes excellent
12 string guitars and they are worth the money you spend on one.
Great necks, playability, sound, quality, and customer service.
The Elysian Fields of 12ers...

Quote:
If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. Quint
Old 05-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Taylor guitars are good to excellent instruments marketed new at fair prices.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:52 PM

Well, a lot of opinions, very valuable most of them and I’m very thankful about that. I’m very new to the forum and every time I ask for something always receive good ideas and learn a lot. I think this forum is about, the possibility for people like me reaching people like You and taking advantage of so much knowledge and experience and I’m very grateful also for that. Now I’ve even learned a bit about cheese steaks… ja ja ja!

I see that my question was perhaps misunderstood in some senses. I’m not trying to remove a millimeter of the great reputation of the Taylor brand. I know that is a great brand and I’m sure there must be good reasons for that.

“Scotso.- This feels a bit like troll bait.”
“Brucebubs.- All the American made guitars are great value .... in America.”
Perhaps I hurt some feelings or prides. I apologize, was not my intention at all.

“TBMan.- My take on what the OP is asking is "What are we buying" as I asked the same thing about custom builds”
“RP.- I sense that he is trying to educate himself about different brands and so the question of value for the money is very reasonable.”
“Gerardo1000.- I think that Taylor and Martin may be just a little bit overpriced on the low end. Consider that a Martin with HPL laminate back and sides and stratabond neck costs around $450/500.00”
This comments resume very well the real sense of my question. Effectively, in my place I don’t have many brands and models to choice, we less talk about test or trade them, I’m buying maybe the only 12 string I’ll have, so I’m trying to make the best deal I can. I’ve dream about a Taylor since I was very young, without having one in my hands ever, but now that I’m facing the decision of where to bet my money I thought that could be a good idea to know the point of view of real owners of the brand. So far seems that only good things can be said about Taylors and if I go for it surely will be a good investment.

I really appreciate all your answers and comments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion