The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
Love that pickguard Ken.

Rob
Ditto. First one I've seen like that.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I've owned 8 or 10, and would not say that they share a similar sound. Most of them were dreadnoughts that sounded great, each in its own fashion.

The one I've kept is an old, beat up DY-74, which is a D-28 knockoff. Its tone is killer, a bit brighter than any D-28 I've played. I just had a partial refret done, and it plays perfectly. Lots of dings and dents from previous owners, but Yairis are sturdily built and can take it.

It lives a good life now, I baby the heck out of it.

[IMG][/IMG]
That's a beautiful instrument. The silking looks amazing.

To answer the OP's question, no, they do not all sound the same. I have two (actually one now technically belongs to my daugher). I have a DY-77 and a DY-71. The DY-77 (1974) sounds like a HD28 (its a D28 knockoff, like the DY-74) but my DY-71 is warmer and doesn't have quite the projection. I think you'd call it a slope shoulder model (yes?- see photos). It has Koa back and sides. Kazuo Yairi did use lamination on these models, not to make them cheap but to protect them from the humidity that is often very high in Japan. The tone is a bit more old school, but nothing like a Waterloo. Also worth mentioning, my two Yairis feel radically different from one another. The DY-77 has a soft V neck while the DY-71 has a slim neck, a narrower nut and not as much neck depth. Both have deep, rich ebony fingerboards which should be evident from the photos. The DY-71 was built in 1990.

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 05-27-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
Love that pickguard Ken.

Rob

Thanks, guys, it is a sweet old thing.

That pick guard is underneath the gloss finish, and hasn't shrunk a bit like the old plastic ones did. It has a short crack in the dark brown area, but it is hard to see.

I think it might be Brazilian, and the head stock overlay as well. If I'm wrong, don't tell me, I don't want to know.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
. . . Kazuo Yairi did use lamination on these models, not to make them cheap but to protect them from the humidity that is often very high in Japan . . .
A quick note about Kazuo Yairi's Laminates -- He used a two - layer parallel grain lamination, both layers tonewood, that not only increased strength but did not compromise tone when compared to solid wood guitars. Although "technically" laminated, Alvarez-Yairi guitars that are laminated cannot be tossed in with most other company's inexpensive laminates.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
A quick note about Kazuo Yairi's Laminates -- He used a two - layer parallel grain lamination, both layers tonewood, that not only increased strength but did not compromise tone when compared to solid wood guitars. Although "technically" laminated, Alvarez-Yairi guitars that are laminated cannot be tossed in with most other company's inexpensive laminates.
Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. You just said it way better. Thanks.

Anecdotally, if we jump in the wayback machine back to 1980 when I bought the DY-77 (my first acoustic) I had been looking for a guitar and found myself in this small mom and pop store, $1000 in my pocket, big money by today's standards, and was all set to pull the trigger on a Martin which would have cost the full $1000. As I was getting set to make up my mind a little guy comes out of the back with a shop apron on. He asked what I was looking for. I told him and even revealed my budget. He said he had the perfect guitar for me but he was working on it and he could hold it for me if I could come back the next day. I did. I took the DY-77 and the Martin into the practice room to compare. I was willing and expecting to spend the full $1000. As I compared the sound and play of the two guitars there was no contest. The Yairi won hands down. When I asked the shop keeper how much he wanted for the Yairi I was blown away when he told me $170 including the OHSC!

I wasn't even aware of any lamination until quite recently when it was pointed out. If you've read any of my posts you know that I pretty much ignore specs and just go on what my ears and hands tell me.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 05-27-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

" The DY-71 was built in 1990."

Vindibona1, I've always wanted to play one of those but have never run across one in person. That unusual bridge, is it made of carbon fiber or wood?

Very cool guitar. And that DY-77 is gorgeous as well.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
" The DY-71 was built in 1990."

Vindibona1, I've always wanted to play one of those but have never run across one in person. That unusual bridge, is it made of carbon fiber or wood?

Very cool guitar. And that DY-77 is gorgeous as well.
Can you believe... GRAPHITE!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Yes! I remember that now. Graphite, that's right.

K. Yairi was an amazing man, and his guitars are terribly underrated.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Yes! I remember that now. Graphite, that's right.

K. Yairi was an amazing man, and his guitars are terribly underrated.
I had the good fortune to pick up a DY-71 used at guitar center. Appears someone cleaned out someones house and brought in two just a little while before I walked in the door. The DY-71 and another lower end Alvarez. When I walked into the acoustic room some kid was playing a few chords on it. It stopped me in my tracks. Not his playing, but the amazing tone of it. I waited till he put it down and walked off, asked the salesmen how much and bought it on the spot. I didn't even play it before asking the price and saying yes. They are truly amazing guitars.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I've owned 8 or 10, and would not say that they share a similar sound. Most of them were dreadnoughts that sounded great, each in its own fashion.

The one I've kept is an old, beat up DY-74, which is a D-28 knockoff. Its tone is killer, a bit brighter than any D-28 I've played. I just had a partial refret done, and it plays perfectly. Lots of dings and dents from previous owners, but Yairis are sturdily built and can take it.

It lives a good life now, I baby the heck out of it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Man, I LOVE that pickguard. Is that the original factory pickguard, or was it replaced somewhere along the way?

thanks,
scott memmer
Old 05-28-2017, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Yep, it's the original. It is underneath the gloss finish.

Somewhere along the way it got new tuners, Grovers in gold, which really look nice. And I installed a K&K pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion