The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 12:23 AM

I generally bring 2 guitars, but that's because I keep one in an alternate tuning Double drop D or DADGAD.

The crowd is there to hear you play, not watch you tune.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
A couple of years ag I had the pleasure of seeing Pat Donahue at a small house concert. The pup on his Martin crapped out and it was over an hour to the nearest city with a music store. I don't know just how long before showtime he discovered the problem, but he made do with the Takamine owned by the hostess. Of course, he made it sound amazing. You don't think about a guitar suddenly developing a problem, but it is certainly possible. Still, no doubt many pros travel with one guitarvand are just fine. And then, there's Jackson Browne....
I also attended that concert at Coolwater Ranch. Pat Donahue was amazing but I think he would have preferred his Martin signature model.
Christian
Old 05-24-2017, 02:14 AM

I generally take two guitars but that's mainly because one is in standard/drop d and the other in for open d style tunings.

I have had a string break on me once and I was glad I had another guitar with me that I could pick up and use rather than having to change the string mid gig!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:22 AM

I always take a spare guitar, and will continue to do so. I have used it 3 or 4 times in over a 1000 gigs over the last 4 years or so..........2 or 3 times when I have broken a string near the start of a set, and prefer to do a 30 second guitar change, rather than change the string.
Last week I had set up for a gig, plugged my tuner in and tuned the guitar, then a few minutes later, went to plug in to start the set, and couldn't insert the lead into my guitar (Baggs Element pickup). I used the spare for the whole gig, and had to repair the guitar the following day. One of the tabs inside the pre-amp had somehow bent, and was stopping the lead from being fully inserted. I would have been screwed if I didn't have a spare, as I was over an hour from home.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
I've gigged for over 30 years. Most of that was playing electric guitar in bands. In that situation I usually took two guitars to gigs to have a backup.

For the last few years I've just been doing acoustic gigs and have not brought a backup. So far I haven't had an issue but do think about it.

Curious what others of you who gig do.

Thanks as always!
About the same, when I played electric in my band (30 years) I had a Strat and Tele most gigs, more variety than spare.

Solo acoustic the last 20 years, no "spare", and with 13's tuned down 1/2 step I don't break strings, no spare needed.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-24-2017, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

I only ever brought one guitar, but I carried a trusty old Fishman Rare Earth pickup in my gig bag as an emergency backup. About the only time I ever had to use it was to combat feedback in certain rooms when using a SBT-equipped guitar. Also had one occasion where my Fishman onboard system was having some noise issues which turned out to be caused from a bad input jack. The Rare Earth was a quick fix for both of those situations, just mounted it in the sound hole and continued on.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:39 AM

If push came to shove, I could certainly make do with only one acoustic, but I usually bring one guitar that I keep in standard tuning and a second one that I have in DADGAD.

One reason is simply to avoid having to go through the change of tuning in front of the audience and another is that the guitar I keep in DADGAD sounds better in that tuning than my other guitars.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 AM

Spare guitar or bass depending. I've never actually needed it. I've been in a few bands and have seen a few local bands have issues with their only guitar or bass. ****ed if you do. ****ed if you don't.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:04 AM

No, never, if a string pops which is very rare, its a 7 minute delay.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 AM

Default Do you take a backup guitar?

One guitar. I change strings and check batteries before gigs. I use 13s and I don't break strings. I'm lucky in that I've never broken a string on stage in almost 30 years.

Where is some wood to knock on?! Ah, phew!

The only exception is when I am playing longer sets and I will bring a 12 string for the John Denver stuff. But, no one can listen to a 12 string all night long. I suspect the audience would try and break 6 of the strings before the night was out. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-24-2017, 07:24 AM

I play solo gigs, so yes I always have a backup of everything or a contingency plan.

My main gig guitar is a 2013 Gibson J35, and the backup is a J15 that I make sure is tuned and tested during my sound check, then it goes back in the case and to the back of the stage in case it's needed. Both are plugged in to a A/B switch then into my pedal board. So swapping guitars is quick and easy as doing the swap and hitting the switch.

I always go by the thought that "if something can go wrong it will" and it's best to be prepared than to have to scramble or leave any doubt in the venue's management mind that you're unprepared.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I rarely bring a backup guitar. I only have one gigging guitar with an active pickup so there really isn't anything to tear up other than breaking a string and I'm pretty darn fast at changing those. It's also extremely rare that I break a string during a gig.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 AM

Depends on the gig; I always keep a backup bag on hand, though - cables, strings, picks, capos, tuners, DI boxes, etc. - because crap happens...
Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Depends on the gig; I always keep a backup bag on hand, though - cables, strings, picks, capos, tuners, DI boxes, etc. - because crap happens...
Oh yeah, I have an "oh crap" bag that rides around in my truck all the time that has spare cables, mics, direct boxes, amp power cords, etc, etc. It has saved my shows numerous times and has saved shows for a bunch of my friends too over the years.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-24-2017, 08:19 AM

Depends on the gig but usually yes.
Week after next i have one of my favorite outdoor gigs coming up and it will just be me and Blind Mississippi Morris at he Square in Collierville Tn..
I'll have acoustic, electric, resonator and two more acoustics in open E and open G.
Easy load in, real safe, family event and great sound people....can't wait. The sound of a single acoustic bouncing of the buildings and trains surronding that square is just fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion