The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleBob View Post
I've heard worship leaders referred to a bit on the forum, but I'm not sure what it is.

Does it mean you're the leader of the church band[...]
This is pretty much it from my experience. A worship leader is someone who usually picks the music, organizes rehearsals, and then plays/sings for the church services. Sometimes the worship leader sings the majority of the songs, and sometime he/she doesn't.

In some instances, if the worship leader feels the need to sing an extra chorus, sing and extra verse, etc. on the fly, then everyone else in the band "follows," if that make sense! I've been a part of worship teams that did this frequently; however at the church were I now serve, our Sunday morning schedule is super-tight (we have three morning services), so there's not a lot of room in the schedule for anything "extra." We also use performance tracks which do not allow for any sort of on-the-fly ad-libbing. It just depends on the church and its environment.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I mean no disrespect. I confess my ignorance.
I am English. I was christened (I don't know why) but my parents weren't believers, were never into organised religion, and it didn't affect our social circle or my Father's business contacts.

You see I know very little about religion - apart from the many ancient small churches and Norman cathedrals spotted all over our southern British landscape, many of which are rather beautiful. Of course I realise that purpose of the Norman edifices, like the castles etc.

My only experience of "church music" is elderly people singing ancient hymns to a church organ on Sunday mornings.

Now I know that religion is much more of a business in the USA and I've seen films of "gospel" meetings etc., but when folks mention "worship music - I really don't understand, although I've heard that there are some Christian "stars".

I also understand the contribution that church music (ni the USA) has made to most folk idioms.

Is it essentially about rock or country style music?

Educate me please.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-25-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Removed religious content
Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I've heard worship leaders referred to a bit on the forum, but I'm not sure what it is.

Does it mean you're the leader of the church band or you lead in the preaching or something else?

Just curious. As you've probably gathered I am not too familiar with church music, but I like the sound of some of it.
Hey Bob,

I think most mean they are the point person in the Worship of the Church service. They are responsible for getting a team together, practicing, choosing songs, etc. Many places have that person also in charge of the spiritual care, as it's like a small group in many ways.

For me, I am responsible to Preach as well as Worship, but just because of the lack of volunteers currently. Usually it's not the case (ideally).
Old 05-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I am English. I was christened (I don't know why) but my parents weren't believers, were never into organised religion, and it didn't affect our social circle or my Father's business contacts.

You see I know very little about religion - apart from the many ancient small churches and Norman cathedrals spotted all over our southern British landscape, many of which are rather beautiful. Of course I realise that purpose of the Norman edifices, like the castles etc.

My only experience of "church music" is elderly people singing ancient hymns to a church organ on Sunday mornings.

Now I know that religion is much more of a business in the USA and I've seen films of "gospel" meetings etc., but when folks mention "worship music - I really don't understand, although I've heard that there are some Christian "stars".

I also understand the contribution that church music (ni the USA) has made to most folk idioms.

Is it essentially about rock or country style music with lyrics about Jesus rather than love songs etc?

Educate me please.
Hey Good sir!

Glad you asked! There is a whole spectrum. Some stuff is based on old hymns like you know of with elderly people. (Like Amazing Grace). Others are based off of some country, and some rock. It all depends. There are great artist and awful artist. Much of the current modern worship music is like a pop/rock feel. If you look through the song choices on this thread you will find the variety. One of my favorite rock style guys in Lincoln Brewster, here is a link one of my favorite songs by him (mostly because of the guitar work).

Stick around till about the 4:15 mark to hear that awesome solo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RN3nZMSJE
Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

The OP asked about demographics, guitars, songs, etc. Let's please leave alone any discussion of the underlying theology.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 AM

Thanks porkpie and shadowfox.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Educate me please.
Worship in song has been a part of every major religion for millennia. It takes on different forms, even within a particular religion.

So, for example, corporate / musical worship as described in the old testament was a raucous affair: Singing, dancing, clapping, shouting, horn section, wind section, string section, percussion that included multiple types of cymbals and tambourines, people raising their hands, people falling on their faces.

Some modern Christian churches adopt those traditional practices to some degree, but some prefer a more contemplative approach to singing with others. I’m guessing the latter is more of what you’ve experienced. Some today even forbid the use of instruments. In some cases that is cultural—they prefer the experience of a cappella worship—in some cases, it’s grounded in a belief that modern church singing should look different.

All this produces a wide variety of what we know as “worship music” or “church music”. These differences are undoubtedly largely cultural. There’s worship rap, worship techno, worship pop. We even have a “cowboy church” here in Durango that sings primarily country-ish worship songs. Regardless the apparent musical genre, it’s all unified by its singular purpose, which is why you'll hear singing in every Christian church you visit, whether it's Uganda, Thailand, Nepal, New Zealand, Fiji, Australia, Ethiopia, Germany, or wherever (those are just some of the countries I've had the privilege to sing in).

Quote:
The leader of all this aforementioned corporate singing is what folks are referring to when they say “worship leader”. As you may have gleaned from earlier comments, the task of leading the singing often involves much more than just standing up on a Sunday—there's rehearsals, spiritual preparation, and occasionally staff meetings and other logistical considerations.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Hey Good sir!

Glad you asked! There is a whole spectrum. Some stuff is based on old hymns like you know of with elderly people. (Like Amazing Grace). Others are based off of some country, and some rock. It all depends. There are great artist and awful artist. Much of the current modern worship music is like a pop/rock feel. If you look through the song choices on this thread you will find the variety. One of my favorite rock style guys in Lincoln Brewster, here is a link one of my favorite songs by him (mostly because of the guitar work).

Stick around till about the 4:15 mark to hear that awesome solo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RN3nZMSJE
Um, OK, so in other words - just another branch of corporate pop music aimed at people who believe in religion. OK, I had my suspicions but now they are confirmed.

Well, if it floats your boat and makes people rich, I guess that's OK. (Not to sound to provocative, over a half of the business property in my city is owned by the long established local diocese (?) and has been since AD681 - good business!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 PM

Wow, not really sure how to answer this without crossing the line, but I'll give it a shot:

Quote:

I grew up in the foothills of NC, and this was my exposure as well. It wasn't until I was in my late teens/early 20s that I discovered anything outside of traditional hymns.

Quote:
I can understand how, as an outsider, that Christianity in the US is viewed as more as a "business." However, being involved in the church that I'm in, it's anything but (with that said, people that are anti-church will disagree with me for argument's sake). I can't comment anymore about what it IS about because then the thread will get shut down.

I don't know if Christian "stars" is the right term; however, some are definitely more well-known than others. For example, I wouldn't consider Billy Graham a "star," but I would consider him well-known.

Quote:

Educate me please.
I'm not sure about the "folk idiom" statement, but I will say that there are many phrases that tend to repeat themselves quite a bit in worship music.

As far as style, I don't consider it really rock or country. This might be a good place to start. This is my favorite worship band at the moment: https://www.youtube.com/user/VerticalchurchVEVO

I hope I didn't cross any lines here, folks!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:35 PM

Who among this group of leaders is responsible for assigning the threshold that decides which ones within the group are the Ego type, to be shunned, or the Humble and Gracious type, to be accepted. Are the Egoists devoid of humility and grace at all times? Do the Humble and Gracious ever-so-lightly tread into an area of Ego at times? Would they be truly aware of it if they did? Just wondering since the Ego-driven group seemed to be pointedly excluded from the discussion and I felt sorry for them.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:55 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
Who among this group of leaders is responsible for assigning the threshold that decides which ones within the group are the Ego type, to be shunned, or the Humble and Gracious type, to be accepted. Are the Egoists devoid of humility and grace at all times? Do the Humble and Gracious ever-so-lightly tread into an area of Ego at times? Would they be truly aware of it if they did? Just wondering since the Ego-driven group seemed to be pointedly excluded from the discussion and I felt sorry for them.
Good of you to speak up for them. Someone has to.

I also noticed the non-leaders were excluded...

Quote:
...Not so much if you participate in a worship team (or praise band some call it)...

Last edited by Guest 1928; 05-25-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi folks, I'm a tad concerned that I've hijacked this thread a little, so, I've asked a question, and you have been kind enough to try to explain matters to me. There is terminology that I don't understand, and a lot of videos that won't play for me - but I'd like to say thanks and politely exit this thread so you can return to your own conversations. Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:57 PM

Until I joined this very enjoyable forum, I had no idea of the extent of the connection between acoustic guitar players and a formal church setting.
My education continues.
Don
Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Is everyone using Songselect? If not, it's a great resource for getting chord charts and lead sheets for most CCM music that's out there. It's a subscription service. But well worth it.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Default Worship leaders

I'm from the south side of Chicago, think 55st. and Ashland.
I've been leading and/or playing for worship since college -1967- to now
I've been involved in Lutheran Cursillo
My favorite performing instrument is a Martin D-16GT with a soundhole pickup thru a Fishman Loudbox Mini
My fav song at worship is "Do Lord"

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic