The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Cool My long awaited second Michaud Made build thread!

My foray into the world of custom handmade instruments started in 2014 and some of you here might have followed my first build thread in 2015 (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=374041) where I received the guitar of my dreams from luthier Joel Michaud of Calgary, Alberta. Throughout that build process, Joel has become one of my closest friends and I am extremely grateful for such an opportunity that commissioning my “Lucky Tree” has granted me. I have also made several friends here which I am very grateful to the forum for, one of which is Josh Isaacs by the username of “jji” (the importance of this will become clearer as you read on). After receiving my “Lucky Tree” build (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...390415&page=11), I knew that I had to get back on Joel’s list, so I did.

The wait for my turn has not been easy, especially when I am constantly confronted online by the level of craftsmanship that Joel has been churning out. His style, as most of you following his work can tell, is constantly evolving and he is never afraid to try new things, while always keeping his design elegant and simple at its core. Some of my favourites in the past 2 years have been Brendan’s sunburst Michaud with a graduated oxidized rosette, the new O-R model with its classy patinated copper rosette/inlays, and of course Larry’s late Michaud with the banjo fretboard cutaway and purple copper rosette (all pictured below):

Having my “Lucky Tree” by my side has helped considerably in the waiting process, but it has also increased my thirst for another; my excitement mounts as my Michaud continues to open up, and the next phase in my Michaud Made journey is finally starting again!

My request to Joel for this build has been quite “simple” – I’ve told him that I want an OM-R in Spruce/Rosewood with a Florentine Cutaway and Manzer Wedge, and of course my specifications for the neck, string spacing etc. I left the species of wood, choice of aesthetics and basically everything else up to him. Throughout my conversations with Joel over the years, I believe that Joel knows me well and I trust him enough to leave these elements entirely up to him. Joel is also keenly aware of my playing style and knows what build would best suit it, as well as to compliment my “Lucky Tree”.

As the title of the thread suggests, build photos of my upcoming Michaud will be posted, but with a twist. Through a series of very complex circumstances involving several guitars (call it fate if you will), Josh (USA), Joel (Canada) and I (Singapore) from 3 separate countries have become very good friends. Josh has been an integral part of the process as he has been in discussion with Joel with regards to the choice of woods and design elements for my build. Due to my request of leaving it all up to Joel, he has taken it upon himself to taunt me by keeping my guitar design a secret! The guitar is well along the build process, but I’ve been shown only 2 photos which are teasers at best, as well as been revealed what species he has chosen.

And this is where Josh comes in – since he and Joel have been in cahoots with one another, Joel will be releasing photos of my build to Josh instead of me, and it is now Josh’s job to update this thread with photos of my guitar. I will not be notified when he is going to post, so do expect me to be lurking around the forum often, in hopes of catching a glimpse of an update of my guitar!

Disclaimer: Dear future clients of Joel Michaud, do not worry as you would not be subject to this (I can’t speak for the rest of his antics though ). It’s just something Josh and Joel thought would be hysterical to mess with me, whilst also throwing a twist into your usual thread. Please continue deal with confidence!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 04-13-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:24 AM

Default In case you do not want to go through all that text up there

tl;dr (too long, didn’t read) Josh Isaacs shall be in charge of updating this thread with photos and what I see here will be my first time seeing it. The point is to capture my initial reaction to the pictures.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

This should be fun, Marcus!

Looking forward to what Joel (and Josh) have up their sleeve for you.

Your first guitar was such a masterpiece, and I have no doubt this will be too.

Congrats on having your second Michaud underway!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

You're a better sport than I could be, Marcus, though I do fancy the idea of seeing your sincere and immediate reaction to the updates...the idea has the potential to be very organic. I'll definitely be tagging along for the ride.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-13-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Fantastic Marcus! Looking forward to following along too.

I drooled over your first build thread, and was exited to play it at Memphis. For me, your guitar was a highlight of the show. I instantly connected with Joel like he was a long lost friend, and as luck would have it, I even got to spend a little more time with him standing in line at the airport after the show. I got to reunite with him in Santa Barbara, and I'm still kicking myself for not accepting his invite to dinner and shenanigans afterwards. I had already made other plans, but a lot of fun was surely missed!

This thread will no doubt bring out the fun!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Marcus...congratulations on the start of your new OM-R!

Playing your amazing Lucky Tree OM-R is where my own journey with Joel Michaud guitars began...thank you and I will be watching with great interest!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Ok Marcus, here we go buddy!

Just kiddin. Oh, this is gonna be fun...
Old 04-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Ooooo, lucky you Marcus!! Can't wait to see this one unfold!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 PM

Congrats Marcus. I am pretty sure you are nuts with the arrangements that have been made, but I know it will be a great guitar, can't help but think you are missing out on the best part of the build though....just sayin.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Default We're having fun,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats Marcus. I am pretty sure you are nuts with the arrangements that have been made, but I know it will be a great guitar, can't help but think you are missing out on the best part of the build though....just sayin.
This will be different and we'll have a good time
Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

This is already such a great thread...
Old 04-13-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
This should be fun, Marcus!

Looking forward to what Joel (and Josh) have up their sleeve for you.

Your first guitar was such a masterpiece, and I have no doubt this will be too.

Congrats on having your second Michaud underway!
Thanks (Nemo)man! It's always nice to have a guitar being built for you; it's an excitement unlike no other as you would probably know, especially if the builder goes by the name of Joel Let's hope that this one meets your expectations after my first Michaud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Fantastic Marcus! Looking forward to following along too.

I drooled over your first build thread, and was exited to play it at Memphis. For me, your guitar was a highlight of the show. I instantly connected with Joel like he was a long lost friend, and as luck would have it, I even got to spend a little more time with him standing in line at the airport after the show. I got to reunite with him in Santa Barbara, and I'm still kicking myself for not accepting his invite to dinner and shenanigans afterwards. I had already made other plans, but a lot of fun was surely missed!

This thread will no doubt bring out the fun!
Well, count yourself lucky as I've yet to meet the man himself! Glad to hear that he's as personable online as in person I am sure you shall get more opportunities for dinner (+ shenanigans) with him in the future haha

Unfortunately, my build would not be headed to a show this time round, but should the opportunity arise for me to attend one, I will do what I can to bring it down let's hope that you have some drool left for this second installment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Marcus...congratulations on the start of your new OM-R!

Playing your amazing Lucky Tree OM-R is where my own journey with Joel Michaud guitars began...thank you and I will be watching with great interest!
Thanks Doug! It's great to have you over here on the dark side with Joel and I I shall be watching this with even greater interest given the circumstances haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharius View Post
Ooooo, lucky you Marcus!! Can't wait to see this one unfold!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Zach! Thanks for joining along for this ride, it's great to have you. I'm definitely a lucky guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
This is already such a great thread...
And there aren't even any photos of the build yet!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post

Just kiddin. Oh, this is gonna be fun...
You nearly got me.... NOT! Nice try Josh hahaha

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
You're a better sport than I could be, Marcus, though I do fancy the idea of seeing your sincere and immediate reaction to the updates...the idea has the potential to be very organic. I'll definitely be tagging along for the ride.

Joel
Hey Joel, thanks for tagging along! This is an experiment and I am quite curious how the experience would be like, seeing my updates for the first time here on the forum. It's gonna be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Hey Tom! Nice to see you've joined the party. Joel and I talk on a daily basis so I'm not missing out too much on this arrangement. In fact, I was the silly one who suggested this half-jokingly, and after some discussion, it was decided unanimously that this would be a fun way to go

My passion and knowledge of guitars has grown tremendously during my stay here. For that, I am very grateful to this forum and its various members for creating such an friendly environment to do so. So that is why I have no qualms with sharing this experience with all of you, where many of you will even get to see my build photos well before me!

P.S. I think you are right about me being nuts. There will be some sleepless nights for sure, but where's the fun in life without a little crazy in it

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 PM

Since I don't have any photos to post of my current build, thought I would first share some from my previously commissioned Michaud

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
build thread, joel michaud, michaud made, moon spruce