The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-15-2017, 12:04 PM

Default Modern method of Neck Resetting.. Waaaay Faster

Just came across this method of neck resetting and thought I should share it..
https://youtu.be/K1H4xy52RuM
Old 02-15-2017, 05:01 PM

Wow, I wouldn't have thought a poorly fitted endgrain joint could hold up under string tension, without even a dowel or screw or something to help hold it together.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I saw that one before and watched some of his other videos. Some of his woodworking stuff (like his box joints) look nice but the rest of his builds are very hackneyed stuff. Like instead of getting hinges that fit and look reasonable, he buys outdoor gate hinges, cuts them down and redrills them (for the same cost) and has a very ugly, lower quality solution. Lots of bad advice. More of a how-not-to-do-anything educational channel.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-15-2017, 05:22 PM

A few things, first I cannot imagine the que of people lining up for me to do that to there old martin or Gibson.

It's a classical so way less tension than most guitars, and yes it appears to hold, would like to see the results 4 weeks later, me suspects it's not a playing guitar anymore

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-15-2017, 05:46 PM

Would have been an opportune time to put on some strap buttons with a long screw in the front.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 PM

This is a variation on converting to a bolt-on neck. The only difference is less confidence in long-term viability of the glued butt joint (as others have pointed out). Epoxy is the preferred glue for this.
I'll just bet I can do a conventional dovetail reset in the same or less time, and there will be less touchup.
I have done one in 40 minutes, and the average is less than 2 hours. That is on Martins, where the touchup is minimal because the neck and body are finished separately.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 PM

I'm surprised he didn't think to screw on a strip of metal plumbers tape. One screw in the neck block and another in the heel cap and Bob's-yer-uncle. I would love to see the hilarity that ensues when that joint lets go and the neck flies forward like a hinge, knocking the dog across the room....

Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeguitar View Post
I'm surprised he didn't think to screw on a strip of metal plumbers tape. One screw in the neck block and another in the heel cap and Bob's-yer-uncle. I would love to see the hilarity that ensues when that joint lets go and the neck flies forward like a hinge, knocking the dog across the room....

I read that to Rodney Dangerfields voice and cracked myself up...
Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM

I have watched several of his videos and I agree that he frequently uses the worst possible solution to a problem. It kinda works... But it's like nailing a drawer handle on rather than using a screw....

I also have no idea why he didn't add ONE screw to the neck heel to ensure the thing stays together. So easy and it only costs an additional $0.35 or so...

On the up side - he does have some really funny April Fools videos..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair