The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-03-2017, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Murray a visit to NOLA is in order...
So I gather. I missed my chance 20 years ago ... doubt I will make it there any time soon
Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Guest 1928

In a stroke of extreme bad luck, it appears Photobucket has deleted the 39 of my Klepper photos, and nearly everything else I've uploaded in the month of March. I'll get that corrected as I have opportunity in between work, family, taxes, and all that.

In the meantime, here's a sneak peek at the headstock and decal. Even when not fully finished I think it's splendid.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:27 AM

That's a bummer, Todd ...hope you manage to get your pics back.

I know your original choice of tuners was nickel plated, but looking at that magnificent headstock, don't you think it is crying out for gold-plated tuners?

Gold logo, gold frets , gold tuners ?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Yeah a major bummer Todd. There were some nice photos. I gave up on Photobucket and have had great luck with Imgur, which is much quicker to navigate/populate and has better editing tools.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Guest 1928

First world problems really, even if I have to upload and relink them. While there have been a lot of complaints about PhotoBucket, it's worked pretty smoothly for me so far, and I have a few hundred photos there so I'm reluctant to change horses. If anything like this should happen again, I might rethink that decision.

The good news is that Howard's taking better care of my guitar than PhotoBucket is doing with my pictures.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Thanks, Bob! This is my first custom guitar, and being able to work through all of it with Howard has been educational and just a lot of fun. He knows I'm an engineer and very interested in how things work, so he's included me in the conversation on several things, especially wood choices and trim, but also structure and function. I've deferred to Howard on all things structural, but I appreciate his willingness to include me in the process. All clients might not want that level of detail, but I have enjoyed it.
I enjoy the details too and I am still curious as to the glue or glues used in the construction of this beautiful guitar. Any hints?

...........Mike
Old 04-07-2017, 11:20 AM

IMO, asking a luthier what glue he uses is as invasive a question as asking if his teeth are all his own.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Mike, thanks for the kind words. The glues in regular use in my shop include hot hide, various aliphatics, epoxies, and cyanoacrylics, and urea-formaldehyde.

I look at the Custom Shop as a place to share excitement, look at sexy wood, and talk about design choices. I try not to feed discussions which encourage opinionating about questions for which there is no meaningful data to inform an answer. These tend to degenerate into the beating of dead equines. Better to send them to the glue factory!

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 04-07-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanks for responding Howard, I wasn't looking for a discussion on glue or opinions, just what was used on this build. Everything else on this guitar has been dissected to the smallest detail, so why not mention the glue. I didn't realize it was such a personal question, it's not like I asked if you wear briefs or boxers or go commando.

.......Mike
Old 04-29-2017, 12:38 PM
Guest 1928

I've received a few backchannel inquiries about current status. Right now we're just watching lacquer dry. It's very exciting!

Seriously, this is the slow part of the process. There have also been some weather delays due to to high humidity. The last thing I want any builder to do is rush a finish.

As far as photo updates, one layer of lacquer looks like the next and there just isn't much more to show until the final coat is done. I'm trying not to think about it, as I know time passes quickly, but I am SO excited to get the guitar in my hands. I really think it is going to be a special guitar - even though I may be a bit biased.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB5007 View Post
Todd, you don't know me at all but over quite a few years now I have benefitted from both your uncanny knowledge of Martin guitars and the marked and widely appreciated generosity with which you have shared that knowledge.

Please accept my most sincere wishes for an excellent experience and, in the end, a superlative instrument, it could not happen to a nicer guy (or cyber citizen)

Most sincerely,

MB
I couldn't have said that any better, and I mirror this sentiment exactly.

How did I just now catch this thread?? Geeze...

AND... it's a Howard Klepper build!! Woooo DOGEYS!
Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Guest 1928

Thanks for the kind words. While I'll never make a living at any it, I do enjoy the music, and the guitars, and the friendships wrapped up in all of that! I've very much enjoyed this custom build. Working with Howard has been a delightful experience in every way. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result, which should be somewhere near the first of June.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Guest 1928

I think we're nearly down to counting in days rather than months or even weeks. I'm giddy.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Waiting for the finish to fully cure to do all the detail work that comes next is agonizing - but so necessary, and absolutely the last thing you want to rush. Just keep taking deep breaths, it'll be there before you know it - ;-)
Old 05-28-2017, 09:32 AM

Your guitar is elegant, without being overly flashy, if that makes sense. Very nice!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop