The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Deering Banjos & Deering Sierra 5-String Resonator As An All-Around Banjo Choice?

Way back in 1964, my first-ever, musical instrument was a Kay 5-string banjo. I got part way through Pete Seeger's book, How To Play The 5-String Banjo, but, within a year, I'd strayed to the guitar. Now wanting to get back to the banjo, my local dealer has a nice price on a new 2016 Deering Sierra 5-String Resonator Banjo with maple neck, and I'm thinking of getting it. I'd like to read your thoughts on Deering banjos, in general, and also on the utility of the Deering Sierra 5-String as a good, all-around, professional banjo. Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-15-2017, 03:31 PM

Think of it as the banjoist's D-18 - everything you need, nothing you don't; within the Deering line you'll find fancier banjos, but not necessarily better ones - and if the price is right go for it...
Old 01-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Think of it as the banjoist's D-18 - everything you need, nothing you don't; within the Deering line you'll find fancier banjos, but not necessarily better ones - and if the price is right go for it...
Thanks, Steve! My research confirms your thoughts about the Deering Sierra 5-String as being the banjo that a player can't go wrong in getting. The only Deering tone ring that may be considered better for some is the Kruger, which is the same -06-20 design but made with costlier Swiss bell bronze. I thought about the Eagle II but it doesn't have the more traditional, full-weight -06-20 tone ring.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Are Deering banjos thought of as the Taylor guitars of the banjo world?

I wonder if the Deering Banjo Company is thought of by banjo owners of more established and venerable brands, as the Taylor Guitars of the banjo world? Both companies are young, and both from California, and both have captured a large segment of their respective markets. In other words, is there a possible negative feeling toward Deering amongst banjoists? Is bringing a Deering 5-string to a bluegrass jam looked upon as being similar to bringing a Taylor dreadnought to a bluegrass jam?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I am continually impressed with Deering products, much like Taylor. I think if my memory serves, Deering was a door or two away from where Bob Taylor first started.

I've owned a couple very nice, high end banjos(open back), and while they were all superb, I've come all the way round and landed with a basic Americana and I love it. Intonates extremely well, light, fun and easy to play, I like the ease of adjustment that Deering has built in on even these low end models, and the quality is top shelf imo.

This weekend I'm taking my Americana apart to install a fiberskyn head, may sand and stain the pot a different color, have some planetary tuners laying around and I may remove the "guitar style" tuners and put these on, oh yea, removing the 5th string spike and putting in a bone PIP. Just some fun stuff to personalize it a touch.

d
Old 02-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
...I've owned a couple very nice, high end banjos (open back), and while they were all superb, I've come all the way round and landed with a basic Americana and I love it. Intonates extremely well...
You need to see your tech so he/she can fix that immediately...
Old 02-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Folks, for your thoughts on the Deering Sierra 5-String Banjo. If I get a banjo, this will be the one!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I think of them more like the Taylor of banjos. They are good banjos; they sound good; they do everything that you would want a banjo to do, but they don't quite have THAT bluegrass sound, ie a vintage Gibson, in the same way that a Taylor doesn't quite sound like a vintage Martin dread. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, and no one is going to chase you out of a jam for playing a Deering (or a Taylor), but it is a different sound.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 PM

The Taylor thing is an interesting comparison. I read somewhere that Bob Taylor and Greg Deering are friends and that much of the early inlay work on Taylor Guitars was done by Greg.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your continuing thoughts and opinions on Deering banjos!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Gibson is probably considered the pinnacle of the banjo world (especially by BG'ers) but Deerings are probably seen on stage just as often by pros.

Grammy winner Rhiannon Giddens (formerly of the Carolina Chocolate Drops) plays a simple 'ol Goodtime 2, as does my wife.

The Goodtime probably wouldn't cut it in a serious Bluegrass setting, but it's a great all-rounder with great tone and very lightweight. Perfect for our duo.

The Sierra is a serious, pro-level instrument, for sure.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Gibson is probably considered the pinnacle of the banjo world (especially by BG'ers) but Deerings are probably seen on stage just as often by pros.

Grammy winner Rhiannon Giddens (formerly of the Carolina Chocolate Drops) plays a simple 'ol Goodtime 2, as does my wife.

The Goodtime probably wouldn't cut it in a serious Bluegrass setting, but it's a great all-rounder with great tone and very lightweight. Perfect for our duo.

The Sierra is a serious, pro-level instrument, for sure.
As far as Gibsons and bluegrass music, it's the arch-top, tone-ring models that are the recognized pinnacle of banjos, correct?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-11-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
As far as Gibsons and bluegrass music, it's the arch-top, tone-ring models that are the recognized pinnacle of banjos, correct?
I don't know much about the arch-top thing, but every banjo player that wants Bluegrass power always talks about the absolute necessity of a proper (rolled, i think) tone ring.

We play Americana and Blues and my wife's Goodtime 2 is a great fit. That said, My OM's all keep up in the volume department where they would be drowned out by a heavy banjo with a tone ring (I know, she has had one). She found it too heavy and I found it too loud. The Goodtime 2 fits OUR genre perfectly. Twice as loud as an openback, half the volume of a heavy banjer w/tone ring (yes, it's that substantial IMO).

I have never heard anyone talk poorly of any Deering model, from their student stuff all the way up the line.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Nope. Flat head just like Earl.

I have played Deerings, and even owned one. The are fine banjos, but have a different sound and a different feeling neck from a Gibson.

I think the OP would get along just fine.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 PM

I bought a Deering Goodtime 5 string last year. The store I bought it from set it up really well and it plays nicely.

I am a guitar player and I wanted a Banjo for specific purposes to round out the sound for some songs I am working on. It is perfect and just what I was looking for. But be sure it is set up to your liking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments