The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 07:24 PM

I love my Voyage Air and will get another one when I can. I got it as NOS when a local store closed and got a VERY good price on it. It has gone on about a dozen flights with no problem. Last year I got stuck in an airport for 14 hours due to a computer meltdown and having a real guitar to play was a blessing. I am not a professional but booked my first two gigs from fellow passengers who were stuck.

Next is to figure out what pickup to put in it. I love the concept of Journey guitars but the only one I played, which was a carbon fiber one, was horrible sounding. Even greatly discounted I wouldn't have bought it. I don't judge by one sample but I love my Voyage Air.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I've been traveling all over the U.S. and internationally with my VAD-1 for over 5 years without incidence. Sound like you've had more problems with yours than most people with full-size cases.
+1. Never had a prob with laptop case unzipped which goes under the seat. Guitar in overhead often with my clothes in the body. Makes great 2/3 day trip baggage.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 05-28-2017, 06:27 AM

Question

Someday someone (maybe me?) should do a poll on "Have you EVER not been able to bring your Voyage-Air into an airline cabin?" I'd guess a solid majority of folks would say no (that they've always been able to carry on a VA with no issues). Might help folks decide the level of risk they do or don't run if they choose a travel guitar like the VA that sounds awesome, is a great size, but does not fit within the size guides at boarding gates (as shown below).

What say y'all - useful or no? Feels like it could be useful, but I continue to be surprised on views expressed on this topic, so won't assume it's useful.

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 05-28-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added images
Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Hm..I am surprised to see that some people have experienced overhead bin fit issues with the VA. I traveled with mine for the first time last week, Southwest 737. In the soft case it fit very easily into the overhead, nose of the case perpindicular to the bin. Two carry-ons belonging to other passengers fit in right next to it. The flight was full. Attendants were checking the bins to be sure no one had jackets or handbags there. No one looked askance at the guitar. I was glad I'd decided to get a VA because if I'd traveled with my dread in its Hiscox case, I may have had to gate check.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 12-08-2017, 08:00 PM

I recently purchased a Voyage Air VAD-04 from the companies website. They were running a sale offering the VAD-04 for $529 delivered.
When I received the guitar the setup was not good but was easily fixed. I replaced the plastic bridge pins and bridge saddle with bone parts. Correcting the setup required sanding the bridge saddle to match my Taylor's string height (string height at the last fret) and then adjusting the neck. That made a HUGE difference. The neck was slow so I waxed it with Bees Wax to get slicker action. I recommend adding an inexpensive elastic capo to the first or second fret to hold the strings in place when folding the neck (the strings can come loose from the tuners). The setup fixes noted above are typical of any guitar in it's price range and transform a good guitar to a very playable guitar.

I highly recommend the Voyage Air VAD-04 as a quality travel guitar that has no real competition.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:29 PM

I added a K&K UltraPure to my VAD-04 and it sounds great. If you want a passive design I’d recommend the K&K Pure Mini or the JBB Elite 330 (same design as the K&K, half the price).
Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 AM

I have owned both a VA and the Journey.

My travel situations often require me to travel to extremely cold or hot environments. I really loved everything about my VA. Everything. But the ability to walk away from a rental car in 100 degree heat with my Journey in the back seat trumped all other issues.

I am not in love with the shallow neck on the Journey but it has grown on me. I would highly suggest you try both if possible. Customer service at Journey is among the best in the business. Extremely responsive.

I also never had any issues with flying and my VA. Even on RJ's.

If I didnt have an abundance of travel guitars already I would probably buy another VA. But I have a GSmini addiction and a Martin D Jr. too.

Which, by the way....the D. Jr. is now my full time player. Great guitar that you should look hard at too. Fits easily in overhead. Case leaves a little to be desired but i travel mine in a GS mini case.

Good luck in your search.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion