The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Default tenor to use with low G

I'm starting to search for a decent tenor uke to use with a low G string. I'd like to keep it under $200. Like I said, decent

It doesn't have to have solid woods. A solid top would be nice but not necessary. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Anything in the Kala product line will be fine. I usually recommend the Kala thin-line Travel uke, but it is above your price point by a bit. They always sound good and are well set up. There are any number of good medium priced high-quality ukulele on the market these days.

Remember that you don't immediately need a pickup or a cutaway, or a lot of bling. Plainer ukes often have better wood and workmanship for the same price point. The cost of that bling has to come from somewhere.

Low G is simply a string change - I have converted most of mine that came with high G strings (although I kept one high G as-is). Worst case you may have to widen the nut slot for that fourth string a bit, but usually not.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Anything in the Kala product line will be fine. I usually recommend the Kala thin-line Travel uke, but it is above your price point by a bit. They always sound good and are well set up. There are any number of good medium priced high-quality ukulele on the market these days.

Remember that you don't immediately need a pickup or a cutaway, or a lot of bling. Plainer ukes often have better wood and workmanship for the same price point. The cost of that bling has to come from somewhere.

Low G is simply a string change - I have converted most of mine that came with high G strings (although I kept one high G as-is). Worst case you may have to widen the nut slot for that fourth string a bit, but usually not.
Thanks Earl. I'd actually prefer no bling. I did put a low G on my Cordoba Protege. I like it. So I'd like to have 1 high G and 1 low G
Old 05-09-2017, 12:46 PM

pLAY my Mainland All mahogany Tenor with a low G. They set it up and installed the low G prior to shipping. It's probably just a bit over 200, but worth the extra as they are good ukes.

mainland ukuleles web page/
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Koaloha tenors are strung as low G by factory default, and they are sweet. I have Gretsch SM tenor and added an Aquila Red low G to it. That needed a widening of the nut and bridge slots. But it was well worth the conversion as it plays and sounds perfect. I have thought of upgrading but found the $1000+ ukes only marginally better.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Found a used Kala KOA tenor for a good price, awaiting it's arrival...
Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

double post

Last edited by jricc; 05-12-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: double post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments