The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 AM

Guys, I am facing a bit of a conundrum.

Since I have completed this guitar, none of my other acoustic guitars gets much play. This guitar is several times nicer to play and to listen to than my Cole Clark and my Takamine.

I also have a really nice electric guitar (a PRS custom 22 artist package) that I have not even played in about 3 years. I love this guitar, but I never ever play it.

I am very seriously considering selling off my PRS, my amp, all my effects pedals and my two other acoustics, and using the proceeds to do this course at Casimi a second time.

The process was amazing and really really loved going there every saturday and working on my guitar.

I am worried that one day I'll become interested in electric guitar playing again, and at that point, I will not be able to replace my PRS with another one...I am attached to my PRS, but it seems so silly, because I haven't played it in years.

Please someone validate for me that selling all my other gear in order to do this course again is a good idea.

I've yet to sell an item and really regret it, how about you guys? has anyone else sold their electrics in favour of acoustics and gone on to regret it?

I hope that the above makes sense...I kinda fumbled with it when writing it and struggled to articulate what I mean.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:31 AM

Just build an electric when you want an electric... they are much easier to do.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I've sold guitars to get others, but upwards in 'quality' and sideways. Although I sometimes think it would be nice to play one that I've sold I've never regretted it. There's plenty of bigger issues in life; if you sell it and later you see it as a mistake you can recover from it.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-31-2015, 03:23 AM

By the way, which strings did you put on this beauty ?

Martin 000-28 12 fret Adirondack Custom
Old 03-31-2015, 03:48 AM

Initially with Elixir nanoweb PB 12-54s, but then with Wyres 12-54s since.
I prefer the Wyres to the Elixirs, but it's marginal.
They squeak a little bit more,but feel nicer to my touch.

I'd not be unhappy to have Elixirs on it though, however I have stocked up on Wyres sets, so they'll be on for the next few months.

The local Wyres agent here in South Africa is uncertain whether they'll be getting more stock though, so may switch back to Elixir when the Wyres stock dries up.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 AM

A beautiful thing! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I recently built my first guitar and understand the thrill of playing your own creation.

Thanks, again.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 AM

I have a Les Paul that I haven't touched in a decade, had it I since I was...I don't even know. 20+ years? Won't part with it.

So if you feel your PRS is singular enough to not be easily replaced, I'd keep it, even if a little unloved. If it's a readily substituted one, let the axe fall.

The Tak and the CC would be gone by daybreak. Just looking at the build course makes me think that it's an experience well worth repeating.

Do it if you can!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post

The Tak and the CC would be gone by daybreak. Just looking at the build course makes me think that it's an experience well worth repeating.

Do it if you can!
Ed, I am ecstatic to report that I will be doing this course again, starting in March.
This time to build a harp guitar, which will be a new challenge for Matthew and Matthias.
I am sure we'll come up with something phenomenal!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:05 PM

Brilliant Thread Badcrumble, thanks for linking it through to my other thread, most appreciated.
That is one gorgeous guitar, and I'm so happy you are looking at doing another one.
I can certainly see there is a lot of extra work gone into your guitar and that is evident in the time taken to complete it. Well done!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop