The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Default National Resotone

Just picked up a new old stock one on the cheap. Paid about 60% of street price. Wow! Insanely fun. Think of it as a thinner tele, with a cone, and a National Hotplate pickup system (Lollar tele neck pickup, volume and tone control).

More than loud enough while unplugged for practice , and intimate playing.

With an amp the single cone character comes through, though not as much as a contact pickup on a biscuit.

I got it to play out. For playing out I would either bring a Radiotone Bendaway, and a Style N. Both have passive biscuit pickups. This is just a little easier to haul around, and is sturdier. The perfect backup.

The setup on it is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a National. Right in that sweet spot for slide and fretting, and it comes with 12s.

I'm without a camera since this summer (only have my not-so-smartphone) so I don't have pics. Will include some youtube vids of others, both unplugged and plugged, to give you an idea of what this can do.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM

I had a friend with one of these - he was hoping for perfect wired reso setup too. He found that the neck won't tolerate the same string gauges as his preferred tricone setup. If you like heavier strings, beware.

If you like the light(er) setup, you're good to go.

Enjoy!

George
Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
I had a friend with one of these - he was hoping for perfect wired reso setup too. He found that the neck won't tolerate the same string gauges as his preferred tricone setup. If you like heavier strings, beware.

If you like the light(er) setup, you're good to go.

Enjoy!
Sorry it didn't work for him, but it's the exact same setup as an El Trovador except .02 more narrow at the nut.

I have a hard time believing it wouldn't tolerate 13s since it ships with 12s. If he's one of those sickos who runs 16-62 on his tricone (like me), then yeah. I bet that could cause problems...
Old 11-27-2014, 01:42 PM

Cool! Congratulations on a good find. More I see these (and hear them), more I think one day I'd like to adopt one myself. That's a neat sound, particularly in the first video.
Off subject, sure, but got any recordings of you playing the Radiotone or the Style N? It'd be a pleasure to listen to.

Gordon
Old 11-27-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe paul View Post
Cool! Congratulations on a good find. More I see these (and hear them), more I think one day I'd like to adopt one myself. That's a neat sound, particularly in the first video.
Off subject, sure, but got any recordings of you playing the Radiotone or the Style N? It'd be a pleasure to listen to.

Gordon
You may notice in the first post I don't even have a camera I'm pretty low tech. No facebook, no twitter...
Old 12-09-2014, 03:09 PM

I believe the great Joe Price plays a Resotone. Saw him solo and he just kills the delta thing.
Mainland Tenor Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments