The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 AM

Awesome! How does she sound, Skeletron? My guitar took one look at the pic and said, "hey, my sister!"
Old 01-30-2015, 08:45 AM

So far so good! I'm heading out of town for a night, so I won't get to play properly until Sunday - but my initial impression is that I'm going to enjoy it! Seems very easy to play, and sounds nice.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM

I had a local tech drill a hole and put a strap peg just to the left of the output plug, so I could put my locking strap on it. I wish they would come up with a better solution for those output/strap peg combinations. There's an opportunity for someone to make some money off a new patent.

I just had the same guy do the same thing on my Martin 12-string, only he put the peg above the output in that instance (toward the bridge).

Looks like your x20 has the pickup/tuner module that comes out of the body of the guitar, unlike mine, which is housed inside. Changing the battery on yours will no doubt be easier than mine.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 PM

I'll take some pictures when I'm back home tomorrow - yes, I believe there's a battery hatch next to the jack/strap peg thing. I'm sure I'll have more commentary after I've checked it out properly. I will say that I noticed right away that the tone is easy on the ears, not harsh or overly bright at all.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeletronPrime View Post
I'm hoping mine arrives shortly! It was allegedly in town yesterday morning, but DHL pulled this funny stunt where they wanted $95 for customs duty or whatever (which I immediately paid), but then they said they take 24 hours to do something (I'm assuming take my money and have a nice dinner out) before they release the package.

Those wacky couriers, am I right?
Just curious about the "custom duty" that you mentioned.
When Alistair sent me my X20-OS, There was no extra fee...I think it came via USPS but I don't really remember...
The cardboard was kinda "ratty" from the journey, but the guitar & case were perfect...(He sent it in a Hixcox case and did not charge me for it!!!)What a great guy...
Enjoy your X20 Amigo...I love mine!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-31-2015, 11:21 AM

Oh...Welcome to the AGF...You are among friends!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-31-2015, 05:13 PM

With my X20 from Alistair, it just showed up in the USPS truck … eventually and pretty much with Claytone's description minus the hard case (I have too many hard cases already). No fees of any sort. I suspect that DHL was playing you. They have tried in the past (4 or 5 times) to charge us for things we had already paid for. Usually we can make a call to local DHL and get the **** thing delivered without paying anything, but once we had to call the originator and have them explain to DHL that they should just deliver the item without a fuss. I avoid DHL whenever I can.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Just curious about the "custom duty" that you mentioned.
When Alistair sent me my X20-OS, There was no extra fee...I think it came via USPS but I don't really remember...
The cardboard was kinda "ratty" from the journey, but the guitar & case were perfect...(He sent it in a Hixcox case and did not charge me for it!!!)What a great guy...
Enjoy your X20 Amigo...I love mine!!!
Oh, it's OK, it's a legitimate fee I was expecting - guitars have an import fee of 8.7% unless they're valued not over $100, then the fee is 4.5% (per Chapter 92 of the "Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States").

It's probably possible to avoid all fees depending on how the item is described, but for a guitar then that's what it's supposed to be.

Also, I didn't want to get into a debate with DHL - I wanted the guitar as soon as possible!

(Also, DHL may well just be a terrible courier...)

Anyway, thank you! I just got home, and I intend to spend a lot of time playing tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Oh...Welcome to the AGF...You are among friends!!!
Thank you!!!

Edit: BTW, it didn't come direct from Alistair; I searched all the shops I could find in the US and UK, and could only find one that had the "Artisan" version of the X20 in black (and it was in England) so I jumped on it. I'd asked at MacNichol and was told that the wait time is currently "a few months", so I was fine with paying a teeny bit extra in this instance...
Old 02-01-2015, 06:41 AM

I got mine that looks just like yours and I likes it...mine was hand delivered to me by it's maker when I was at NAMM...(he was my roommie so that helped)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-05-2015, 04:30 PM

Smile

Just popped in to the forum to see whats going on and noticed this thread.
Firstly Im delighted that everyone is enjoying the X20 so much. Its been a great guitar for us and continues to be our best seller.
I was wondering a little about the DHL for a second as we always ship via the Postal service. We have found the shipping from Ireland works best this way, It usually takes between 5-7 days door to door and there are no import duties.
Its my understanding that there are no import duties on guitars between the USA and Europe but the couriers (Dhl, Fedex, etc) charge a customs clearance fee even though there is no duty.
By the way Kramster was a great Roomie and Snores in tune.
Alistair
Old 02-06-2015, 08:25 AM

Howdy, Alistair! I just wanted to say that the X20 has a great, shimmering sound unlike any guitar I've ever encountered! If I close my eyes, it almost seems like I'm playing a glass guitar, the way the sound hovers in the air after a note or chord is allowed to ring out. Of course, I'm sure you know all this, but maybe somebody else doesn't.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epluribus36 View Post
I had a local tech drill a hole and put a strap peg just to the left of the output plug, so I could put my locking strap on it. I wish they would come up with a better solution for those output/strap peg combinations. There's an opportunity for someone to make some money off a new patent.
Take a look at this link. I have one of these on all of my acoustic/electrics. I love it. Well worth the $10.

http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber