The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Default De Cascia guitars?? Feedback please.

Do you own a "De Cascia" guitar or have you played one?

Which one?

What are your thoughts about them? Be as thorough and detailed as you want to be, let's hear all the details. I'd love to hear the good and the bad.

Until a recent thread I started there was not one mention of De Cascia on AGF. That seems odd for a company that started in 2010. Then again, the classical forum here seems small with low traffic. I looked into them and was impressed. I find little on the internet about De Cascia verses Cordoba and other companies. There are testimonials on the De Cascia website, but I need more. I found some demos and one very thorough video review. So far I can not find much negative about them. Any slight negative have been GREATLY outweighed by all the positives by the very same person.

I am considering buying their sylvia model and wanted to know what I was getting into. It comes in 4 version; single cedar or spruce top and also double cedar/cedar or cedar/spruce. All are now lattice braced (older ones were fan braced). Solid IE Rosewood B&S and a laquered finish (some reviews say the top has a "french polish"). It also has a built on armrest, soundport with plug and a raised fingerboard for upper access. Standard 52mm nut and flat fretboard.

Their prices are kept low buy having the bulk of the work done by "dedicated luthiers" in China. Finishing, fret installation and setup is done in Canada.

My biggest problem is that there are no returns allowed. I've heard that demand is so high that he is not interested in guitars coming back. He sells a lot out of his music store in Montreal. He offers a 6 month replacement warranty if there is a defect. I can respect a one man company not wanting to deal with people "trying" guitars... just makes me worry a bit. But again, I can't find a dissatisfied customer on the internet!!

Here is a link to their website. http://www.decasciaguitars.com

Below is that video review I referenced by a teacher who has 17,000+ subscribers. He really seems to know what he's talking about and plays very well. I listened to him review several other guitars and it's the same in that he tells you what he does and doesn't like. This I quite refreshing compared to many that ONLY say the positives.

CORRECTION: I found one prior mention of the brand here on AGF when spelling it as one word "Decascia".

Last edited by Carbonius; 12-02-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

An AGF member was selling a Gabrielle model De Cascia a few months ago for between $400 and $500 with little interest despite offering a lot of nice features at a fairly low cost. He was selling because he had upgraded to a Cervantes or Cordoba that fit his hands better. The new guitar might have been a crossover.
He had nothing but good things to say about the De Cascia.
It seems to have cycled off the list in the AGF Classifieds.

I watched the link you posted and a few others. The guitars sound good and offer nice features for the price, but I couldn't accept the fact that they wouldn't accept returns. If the instruments are in such demand you'd think they could sell a return at a slight discount quite easily.

Mark
Old 12-02-2017, 07:55 PM

I had a bit of correspondence with the owner. Seems to be a really nice fellow. I did not end up purchasing a guitar. I did find a USA based distributor of guitar that is similar..... single owner, contracting with a Chinese manufacturer. He offer a 7 day return policy. Goyette guitars
Old 12-25-2017, 08:21 PM

I own a DeCascia Sylvia Cedar DT guitar and I've been very happy with it. You're right...I almost didn't pull the trigger on the guitar because of the return policy. I figured hey, I can just buy a Cordoba C12 or something like that from Guitar Center and if I didn't like it I could return it for free. In the end however I took the leap of faith because you just can't find all the features the Sylvia offers at anything close to that price point. I feel I made a great decision, but not everyone is comfortable forking over that kind of money w/o being able to try before you buy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical