The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Buffalo Gals - ragtime

I'm going to dedicate this little number to Bob, who brought this tune back to my memory in one of his comments during my SOTW project. I worked it up with a bit of a ragtime feel, and I think it's quite fun - well it was fun to play, anyways. I have no idea what the picking pattern is called, but I think it suits the song.

I'm eager for any suggestions on how to improve the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORF90WOqliE

Steve
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Hmm...I suggest you work on the intro a bit. It seems you're are either nervous or you don't really know the fingering. Perhaps, practice with metronome to work on your timing and loosen up a little. You might want to try playing the melody out of the open chords. Also, listen to some ragtime to pick up the bouncy feel.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Hi Steve,

I have to say I REALLY liked what you did here. It's not quite like the stuff I see on YT labelled 'Ragtime', but I think it does have that bouncy, saloon feel to it. I think the way you change up the chorus and verse with a different right hand method is excellent. No, it's not perfect, but I think with a little practice with the intro and instrumental portions, this will become stellar.

I thought you did a pretty good job keeping the tempo consistent when you switched between verse and chorus - and I can only imagine how hard that must be, but I'm sure Bern's suggestion about the metronome could only help. I also thought your vocals were pretty clean - 'buffalo gals' can be a little hard to keep on pitch, because you need to hit it hard, kind of out of the blue.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Hmm...I suggest you work on the intro a bit. It seems you're are either nervous or you don't really know the fingering. Perhaps, practice with metronome to work on your timing and loosen up a little. You might want to try playing the melody out of the open chords. Also, listen to some ragtime to pick up the bouncy feel.
Hi Bern,

I appreciate your suggestions. Yes, I was more nervous with this one - I should have practiced this more. You said,
Quote:
You might want to try playing the melody out of the open chords.
. I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Steve
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Hi Bern,

Tried to send you a PM, but it says your box is full.

You suggested
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern
The melody is basically embedded in the C chord and G7 chord. You will get a better flow in the intro if you place the C chord and play the melody out of the C chord shape, the same applies for the G7.
For starters, count 1+2+3+4+, when you get to the + after 4, play the G on the E string with your ring finger. Then the C on the A string (ring finger again) which would be your 1 on the next measure. Meanwhile, hold the C shape as long as you can, only move the fingers you will need to play the melody.
Practice the intro over and over again, and, most importantly, COUNT !
Bernie
Ok, so I'm playing around with this - it sure feels wierd at first!

So you're talking about fingering the chords as if you were strumming the song. So in the chorus, (C) buffalo gals won't you come out tonight (G7) come out tonight (C) come out tonight, etc. Then within that framework move fingers as needed. You're NOT talking about using the C chord framework throughout the entire chorus, are you?

Steve
Old 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM

Nice job on a good 'ol classic. When I hear this it always reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life. That's where I first heard. Thanks for sharing Steve!
Ed

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 02-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysGuitar View Post
Hi Steve,

I have to say I REALLY liked what you did here. It's not quite like the stuff I see on YT labelled 'Ragtime', but I think it does have that bouncy, saloon feel to it. I think the way you change up the chorus and verse with a different right hand method is excellent. No, it's not perfect, but I think with a little practice with the intro and instrumental portions, this will become stellar.

I thought you did a pretty good job keeping the tempo consistent when you switched between verse and chorus - and I can only imagine how hard that must be, but I'm sure Bern's suggestion about the metronome could only help. I also thought your vocals were pretty clean - 'buffalo gals' can be a little hard to keep on pitch, because you need to hit it hard, kind of out of the blue.
Hi PG,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I just got so carried away with this exciting 'new' style, that I just didn't take the extra few days to polish up the rough spots. It was difficult to do, and just needed more practice.

Steve
Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 AM

HA! This is another song from my grade school music classes! I haven't heard this in years, thanks for the memories, Steve. Also, thanks for the back story...very interesting.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
Nice job on a good 'ol classic. When I hear this it always reminds me of It's a Wonderful Life. That's where I first heard. Thanks for sharing Steve!
Ed
Thanks for listening and commenting, Ed.

Steve
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
HA! This is another song from my grade school music classes! I haven't heard this in years, thanks for the memories, Steve. Also, thanks for the back story...very interesting.
Hi Bob, it's still a fun song even after all the years!

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
ballad, folk, minstrel, ragtime