The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: A Carbon Guitar For You In 2010? In 2010:
I will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I will buy my FIRST carbon guitar. 25 13.44%
I intend to get more information on and try to audition my first carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I have NO interest in carbon guitars because guitars should be made of wood only! 71 38.17%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnisher View Post
I abstained, but would have voted for:
"I want to like carbon fiber guitars, but I just haven't been impressed."
I LOVE the idea of an acoustic guitar that's tougher than my Telecaster (which survived being licked by flames, then thrown out of a third story window by firefighters and lost in a pile of ash and debris for a month in the middle of winter.)

BUT, I was really unimpressed with the sound of the ones I've tried (all CA). The Cargo's tone felt really imbalanced to me, and not at all pleasing.

My other hangup is their looks. The black/red/green finishes just don't do it for me, and I don't dig the weird body shapes. I'm no purist, but I want people to pay attention to my music, not my weird guitar.

Finally, I don't like the sound of UST pickups, and would like to use my Baggs M1A. But if I got a carbon guitar, I'd want it for travel, and most of the travel guitars seem to have non-traditional soundholes that aren't compatible with a soundhole pickup.
Try Rainsong. Traditional soundholes. Great guitars.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Once again, I always find these polls interesting. A carbon guitar is not likely to be in my future. But for those who enjoy them, enjoy them!

- Glenn
Old 01-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Musical minimalist

sorry, I'm a purist when it comes to my wood. I have played a few carbons.....definitely not my thing.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Try Rainsong. Traditional soundholes. Great guitars.
All their models have at 15"+ lower bouts- I want more like 13 for travel. And I still don't dig their looks.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:57 PM

I know that Torres made a guitar body out of paper mache and I used to own an Ovation with a back of non-wood material. I am open to these because it's not about tradition, it's about sound. I also know that tuning pegs at one time were made of wood or bone instead of metal like today's tuners. Wood isn't as plentiful as it once was. Some of these woods are cut from trees that take many years to grow so in a world of shrinking natural resourses, perhaps it's time to explore alternative materials to be a little more "green".
Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM

I won't buy a carbon guitar because they're as expensive as a nice wood guitar and I was not impressed by visual details. I spent a few hours looking into CA guitars and was quite shocked by their price positioning. And their videos did nothing to convince me, all the contrary. It gave me the impression that they're a small company that started not so long ago, nothing very reassuring.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerPlucked View Post
Your poll doesn't include "I'm happy with the carbons I have and don't plan to make any changes in 2010," but if it did, I would have checked that one.
Ditto for me.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
I spent a few hours looking into CA guitars and was quite shocked by their price positioning.
I agree with this. Carbon fiber guitars seem like the ideal candidate for off-shore production. Probably less than $100 in materials, no exotic woods to source, and no fancy luthiery skills required.

I want a carbon fiber Silver Creek.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 01-02-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I agree with this. Probably less than $100 in materials, no exotic woods to source, and no fancy luthiery skills required.
I can see how you might think that, although the same reasoning should lead you to conclude that wood guitars are almost free; they're made out of trees & trees are everywhere, so the material doesn't cost anything at all. And if you give $20 to a furniture builder or a high school wood shop class, you should be able to get yourself a fine guitar.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:39 AM

It is no surprise that there are purists on both sides of this issue.

Some feel guitars must be made of wood. Others feel that carbon fiber is the only way to go. I see advantages of both. That's why I have both.

For me, there's nothing like playing my Taylor GS6. The woody vibrations of that maple and spruce touches me deeply.

On the other hand, there's something special about the piano like sound of my Rainsong WS-1000. It's lilting tone is very unique.

In the music room, I reach for my GS. On the go, in bad weather situations, etc., I grab my Rainsong. Both guitars are tools used to express music. I'm glad to have them both in my toolbox.

I encourage understanding between the purists on both sides. And, if you have the opportunity (money, great deal, etc.), another useful tool can be very beneficial.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 AM

Sorry, no carbon guitars in 2010.
(I'm trying to reduce my carbon foot print.)
Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

I love my CA acoustic... It gets regular play time around my house. I've played it in the sun by the pool, in the rain, etc. I also have a CA blade... I haven't torn into it yet, but it hear it's very modder-friendly.

Lastly, has anyone seen these?

WOW! I may be putting one of these on the wish list! It's an XOX Audio Handle.
Should we open a Carbon Guitars forum on the AGF?

JR
Old 01-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I love my CA acoustic... It gets regular play time around my house. I've played it in the sun by the pool, in the rain, etc. I also have a CA blade... I haven't torn into it yet, but it hear it's very modder-friendly.

Lastly, has anyone seen these?

WOW! I may be putting one of these on the wish list! It's an XOX Audio Handle.
Should we open a Carbon Guitars forum on the AGF?

JR
That's cool looking! And yes - a Carbon Fiber Guitar forum is a good idea.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM

I have no problem with resin-bowl guitars or ukes (have two guitars and two ukes with resin backs) but IMHO a wood top is a must. Nothing against the CA or Rainsongs at all.

So no... no CG for me in 2010.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 AM

My biggest hang-up with them has been price. I love the idea of a guitar I could tote just about anyplace, regardless of the weather--but at that price range, I want wood; nice wood; well-quartered--well, you know. As a "lug-along" guitar I bought a decent RK solid Engleman/lam Mahogany B/S. Under 3 bills.

I DID play a number of Rainsong models soon after they came out and was frankly surprised they sounded the way they did (as in NOT like some alien instrument). Not woody, but not "tinny" IMO (or "thin" or "fibreglass like"). Haven't played any CA's, but they seem pretty well-regarded in these parts. I'm also one who doesn't quite fit into the poll as I've auditioned them, but don't intend to buy one.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber