The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-02-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Thanks, Spruce Top. Your comment on K&Ks in $4000+ guitar is spot on. Some people just want to hear sound when they plug in. It mystifies me, but they aren't out hurting babies either. This was a primary reason I had SunnAudio build me their blender in a box for a local open mic. I was tired of hearing K&Ks with no pre plugged into the mixer. Now we give them no choice. The SunnAudio makes anything sound better, and now the Collings guitars don't sound harsh. I always thought players were the only ones obsessing over their tone, but I've come to realize 75% don't really care. The players that do buy gear for themselves because they want to sound good. We all know a casual audience won't care. Until you pay $50 to see someone, then it starts to matter.
I think there’s a point where you have to realize it’s all subjective. There’s nothing wrong with a K&K pickup. There’s also nothing wrong with putting it in an expensive guitar because it can and often does sound awesome. Making the argument that people use it because they just want a way to create more volume is a bit much. I could sit here and list the number of high end players using a K&K pickup but I don’t think that will change your mind much. I think what it does say is that it’s subjective and as much as you hate it, there’s probably someone out there who hates the Dazzo just as much. I would also make the argument that putting a Dazzo into an expensive guitars is even scarier as it’s kind of a crap shoot.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I would also make the argument that putting a Dazzo into an expensive guitars is even scarier as it’s kind of a crap shoot.
Scott, I guess it's subjective but IMHO, after installing two Dazzo #70 systems in two Larrivee dreadnoughts, installing a Dazzo system isn't really a crap shoot as the amplified tone in both my installations sounded really good from the get-go. This was without using Teddy Randazzo's method of moving around the transducers while plugged into an amp to hear the varying results. I just installed them between the 6th and 5th strings and the 1st and 2nd strings and all was well. Perhaps some other players installing a Dazzo system would feel differently about its tone? Don't know, maybe. This addresses your crapshoot concern as a player would have to install a Dazzo system or any other brand of system to actually evaluate what the amplified tone can do for them.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-02-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:21 PM

I purchased and installed a HiFi system in the Furch Vintage 2 dreadnought that I purchased in Buffalo during a trip. The pickup sounded good... for a day. I have no idea what happened but it died in less than 24 hours. This was at the same time I was dealing with the Yamaha FGX5. I figured I'd have the HiFi to fall back on. After it stopped working, and I tried everything I know how to do, I just removed it and left it on the bench. I haven't dealt with it. I need to either return it to Sweetwater or call LR Baggs. But, since I had a gig, I just installed the K&K in the guitar. Those never fail me.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-21-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:12 AM

Sorry to hear that. Caleb Elling at LR Baggs is always very helpful and responsive. [email protected].
Old 07-22-2023, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

My only experience with K&K pickups is that I bought my D 35 from Bryan Kinsey, so they were installed correctly. After so many years not having to mess with EQ, I could not bear to put up with needing to adjust EQ in at least three frequencies. After I had Dazzos put in, I was happy. If you can put up with the EQ situation, K&Ks can sound fine. I don't want to. And there are in my experience, many casual players with very nice guitars who put K&Ks into them a plug in with no thought to impedance and seem fine with what comes out of the PA speakers, witch is less than pleasant. In truth, and it is truth, most in the audience don't know or care.

I guess it is more their use than the pickups themselves that bothers me, and yes, I know one guy who swears by K&Ks that has tried Dazzos, but did not, I believe, take Teddy up on his offer to swap them out. I have no problem at all with someone liking a particular product and using it again and again. I only have my experience to go by. I lost all interest in experimenting, rightly or wrongly, with something new when I've been happy. It's like a Blackface Super Reverb, or a telecaster. I know I'll like them, a lot.

I'd be foolish to think probably the biggest selling pickup has no merit.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-22-2023, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I now hear my LR Baggs HiFi/Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special combo as sounding really good with a neck-relief adjustment of about .008" inches neck relief. So, I know many of you like a neck-relief of a ruler-flat .000" inches neck relief? My questions are: Do you use a feather for a flat pick? If you fingerpick (fingerstyle), do you breathe on the strings? Really, folks, IMHO, if you don't have some neck relief, adjusted to your mode of playing, then your tone will suffer whether playing acoustically or amplified.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-22-2023 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I now hear my LR Baggs HiFi/Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special combo as now sounding really good with a neck-relief adjustment of about .008" inches neck relief. So, I know many of you like a neck-relief of a ruler-flat .000" inches neck relief? My questions are: Do you use a feather for a flat pick? If you fingerpick (fingerstyle), do you breathe on the strings? Really, folks, IMHO, if you don't have some neck relief, adjusted to your mode of playing, then your tone will suffer whether playing acoustically or amplified.
Hey Ken, you nailed it (IMO)! I always have slight relieve in my necks as you described. Being able to play into the guitar between light and medium attack lets me express myself musically.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-22-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
My only experience with K&K pickups is that I bought my D 35 from Bryan Kinsey, so they were installed correctly. After so many years not having to mess with EQ, I could not bear to put up with needing to adjust EQ in at least three frequencies. After I had Dazzos put in, I was happy. If you can put up with the EQ situation, K&Ks can sound fine. I don't want to.
I'm with you on this, for sure. When I was only messing around playing amplified the K&K was fine - with a ton of EQ! Even after I started plugging into the buffered PolyTune3 for proper impedance matching there was still a good bit of EQing to get decent sound quality. I started looking seriously for an alternative when I started playing out again, this time with a large, loud band. No amount of EQ was going to give me good sound quality - especially without a soundhole cover to get rid of the feedback. I read a lot about the Ultra Tonic before I first tried the K&K conversion model on my OM-21. Bingo! Great tone without rigorous EQ adjustment & total elimination of feedback without the buster! Goodbye K&K. When my D-18 went out to Bryan K. in New Mexico I had him take out the K&K & install the OEM Ultra Tonic & I've not had a single issue since. That's not to say others haven't found their own version of this story with other pickups they now prefer over the K&K, they have. I have left my "fooling' around tryin' to get better amplified sound in my acoustic guitars" days behind & am enjoying playing out without hassle instead.

Frank
Old 07-22-2023, 04:03 PM

IMO, a K&K plus an IR is a great solution. An inexpensive 1024 sample IR loader intended for electric guitar cabinet emulation is all you need for a great tone (not audiophile, but all the EQ issues and quack vanquished). I'd be happy to generate IRs or coach anyone through using my code directly (Seamus/Shufflebeat is my latest convert to making his own IRs with my code). I fixed his problems sitting in a restaurant answering a few emails with my iPhone.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-22-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I now hear my LR Baggs HiFi/Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special combo as sounding really good with a neck-relief adjustment of about .008" inches neck relief. So, I know many of you like a neck-relief of a ruler-flat .000" inches neck relief? My questions are: Do you use a feather for a flat pick? If you fingerpick (fingerstyle), do you breathe on the strings? Really, folks, IMHO, if you don't have some neck relief, adjusted to your mode of playing, then your tone will suffer whether playing acoustically or amplified.
Ken,

I need at least .007" to .01" at the 7th fret for relief. Like Gary above, I need the relief for dynamics and prevent buzz. As far as the HiFi goes, my brief experience suggests it's a "good" pickup, but maybe not in the same league as others you've demo'd, or some passive options with high quality external preamps.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
IMO, a K&K plus an IR is a great solution. An inexpensive 1024 sample IR loader intended for electric guitar cabinet emulation is all you need for a great tone (not audiophile, but all the EQ issues and quack vanquished). I'd be happy to generate IRs or coach anyone through using my code directly (Seamus/Shufflebeat is my latest convert to making his own IRs with my code). I fixed his problems sitting in a restaurant answering a few emails with my iPhone.
I agree. I think it can sound nice with a good analog preamp and perhaps better with some IR. I don't think you even need that much IR in the blended signal to make it sound "presentable."
Old 07-28-2023, 07:54 AM

Default Good Comparison Video: K&K vs. Anthem vs. HiFi

https://youtu.be/zaWjhFu5Uk4

Through headphones, or speakers, the HiFi is quite impressive and at least for this example, the Anthem is not close.

Jon Fields
Old 07-28-2023, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Through headphones, or speakers, the HiFi is quite impressive and at least for this example, the Anthem is not close.
I agree Jon. To my ears, the HiFi sounds real nice in this example. The K&K sounded good as well albeit a little muddy. The Anthem SL had more of the Element piezo coming through.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-28-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:

My issue with this demo is that there's clearly unplugged tone making it to the mics. Still, it does showcase the pros and cons of each pickup. To me, the HiFi always sounds super bright. They mention that the tone wheel is in the center so that makes me even more worried. With that said, I feel like I would start by rolling the tone wheel down for a warmer tone and then use external eq to fix the tone. I find from demos that the higher the HiFi tone wheel is set, the more high end comes through at the expense of warmth and bass.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
My issue with this demo is that there's clearly unplugged tone making it to the mics.
They claim there is no mic in the A vs. B vs. C at the end of the video.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification