The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - CA Cargo

I was lucky enough to get a really nice carbon burst Cargo from a fellow AGFer.
I had played one about a year ago, but couldn't afford a new one at that time. I liked the tone when I played it and that hasn't changed, this a really sweet, full sounding guitar. It has a beveled top edge on the rear, so it's comfortable to play. The body is thin enough that the beveled arm rest on the front is not missed. There isn't one. TO quantify my comments, I play with a pick, I'm a strummer picker. My wife was really surprised how loud and full it sounds. I also own an X7 but haven't done a direct comparison yet, I've been too busy playing the Cargo. The only down side is the shorter scale. I would prefer a neck like the X7 has, but the setup and play ability on the Cargo is excellent! I can adjust to the shorter scale with a small guitar that sounds this good. The carbon burst looks really nice in person, here's some pic's, sorry for the reflections.

[IMG]Cargo 001 by jdinco, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Cargo 004 by jdinco, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, John!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Congrats! I love the Cargo and yours is a beauty. I've owned one in charcoal color with the Road Tough (RT) finish since new in '08. I have played it regularly ever since. It replaced my '06 Baby Taylor that got accidentally destroyed. If not for that happening, I wouldn't have gotten the Cargo, so imo, it was a blessing in disguise. The Cargo is a serious guitar...way better than the BT. I actually like the scale, doesn't feel cramped to me at all. I'm curious to read your comparison to the X7 when you get a chance to report back. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:43 PM

I own one of those. I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:10 PM

Nice score with the Cargo there. Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:17 AM

Congratulations on your new Cargo! It looks good!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! That's one sweet little guitar. My first CF guitar was a Cargo Raw and I played it for years. Loved it... still do!
Old 10-05-2017, 06:06 AM

That’s nice John ! I really like a small but perfectly formed guitar, got a GS MIni and an X7 myself.

I’m a big fan of ultra-robust portable stuff generally. “EDC” guitars ?!
Old 10-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Congrats John!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all, I'll do a comparison as soon as I get a chance. The tone out of this thing is amazing ! With 5 month old Elixirs. At first my wife was like "ehhh, did you really need another guitar?" but after hearing it, she is saying "nice purchase".
Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Congrats, John. I love the Cargo so much, I own three of them. Here's one of mine, an older one with Road Tough (RT) finish that I bought from a forum members after CA closed. This was taken at our place in the local mountains.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Guest 928

The Cargo was the gateway CF instrument for me, opening the door to a whole new world of guitars, and it appears to have been the same for a lot of people on this forum. It is a marvelous instrument . I sold my first one in order to move to an Ox, another great CA offering. Later I purchased a Peavey/CA Cargo just to see if it was as good as I remembered--it was.

Ted may have the most Cargos, but the Kramster may have him beat.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations John! Very nice.
Enjoy!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The Cargo was the gateway CF instrument for me, opening the door to a whole new world of guitars, and it appears to have been the same for a lot of people on this forum. It is a marvelous instrument . I sold my first one in order to move to an Ox, another great CA offering. Later I purchased a Peavey/CA Cargo just to see if it was as good as I remembered--it was.

Ted may have the most Cargos, but the Kramster may have him beat.
Yep, that’s the way it was for me too. Mine looks like Ted’s in the pic, except that his has the exposed CF binding look, whereas mine is solid charcoal RT.

Once I had the Cargo in ‘08, I wanted to try it’s big brother, the GXi (in gloss tobacco burst), so I bought one. It looked like a big Cargo, but it was a whole nuther beast, but in a good way. I only sold it to help fund my first Emerald Chimaera.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Congrats on the new guitar! I really like the looks of the Cargo, but I don't think I'd like the short scale. I should find something with that scale length and try it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber