The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Restringing...

Yes, this comes up often here. Elixirs have been my go-to strings for quite a while. Earlier this year, someone here talked about using Martin Lifespans on their carbon fiber - I picked up a set of those this summer at Sweetwater's GearFest, along with a good supply of Elixirs and a power-winder.

My X20 was due for fresh strings before we left this summer, but it didn't make sense to put strings on then put it in storage for several months. So, today was restringing day...

I have to say, at first blush, I am not a fan of the Martin Lifespans - seems the punch and volume are down a bit. I'll give them some time, see if they "play in" and improve.

Another thing I wanted to try: Nashville tuning. I thought about giving that a try on the X7, but decided to put those strings on a guitar that hasn't been used in a while, my GSmini. I bought an Elixir 12-string set, used the octave strings. Interesting sound - kinda between a mandolin, a ukulele, and a harpsichord. If I ever get around to doing some recording, this should make an interesting 2nd guitar part. I can see leaving one guitar with this string set-up.

A definite winner this afternoon: the Ernie Ball PowerPeg String Winder. Really cut the time; very convenient!

Jim
Old 10-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Good Gawd that is a beautiful guitar ! Back to the topic...I have a small electric screwdriver that looks a lot like your power winder, I purchased a "bit" for it that was a winder from GC I think. You are correct, saves a lot of time and makes it easier for me to get the string on the post nice and neat. The battery holder let go in my Martin Jr and is rattling around, so a maintenance day and new strings is in order here too. Thanks for the reminder....
Old 10-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I thought about buying one of those tuning-key-bits, but the electric screwdriver I have is a beast... even on low torque, I figured it might take the tuning key right off!

This was another hot deal: $12. It makes me want to string up some other guitars.

I was all excited a few years ago when I picked up a Planet Waves hand winder... this is mo betta.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Nice work Jim.

I'm gonna get a few miles out of the X7 factory set first, , ,
then when they're starting to go past their best I'll stick it on the ToneRite for a few days.
Help it open up.

What ?! Cf guitars don't even know they're not a race car or something for the first few weeks...

(obligatory smilies in case anyone thinks I'm bein serious)
Old 10-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Nice work Jim.

I'm gonna get a few miles out of the X7 factory set first, , ,
then when they're starting to go past their best I'll stick it on the ToneRite for a few days.
Help it open up.

What ?! Cf guitars don't even know they're not a race car or something for the first few weeks...

(obligatory smilies in case anyone thinks I'm bein serious)
Maybe it is rumor, but I heard that CF guitars do "open up"... it will take about 3,000 years, give or take a hundred, assuming it is played regularly.

(obligatory winkie, same reason as above)
Old 10-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Nashville tuning can be a lot of fun. I tried it for awhile on a Tacoma Papoose I used to own, a really short scale (wood) guitar with just a 19" scale that is typically tuned A to A. One of those in Nashville tuning was sort of like playing a mandolin, and added some nice color to a jam. But you probably wouldn't want Nashville tuning on your only guitar!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Don't mean to hijack a thread...but can you explain Nashville Tuning? Guess I could google it, but would rather hear it from the horses mouth. Not calling anyone a horse....nod nod wink wink.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Don't mean to hijack a thread...but can you explain Nashville Tuning? Guess I could google it, but would rather hear it from the horses mouth. Not calling anyone a horse....nod nod wink wink.
It's basically taking a 12 string guitar set of strings, and only using the thinner string of each pair or course on a six string guitar. Or put another way, stringing the guitar with E, A, D, and G strings that are an octave above normal. My understanding is that you used to have to use half of an actual 12 string set to get the gauges you need, but with Nashville Tuning sets available you can just buy what you want.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Or, you can buy a 12-string set of strings, use the octaves on one guitar for Nashville tuning, use the others on a 6-string.

It give the guitar with the Nashville tuning strings on it a very chimey sound. If you do Google it, you will find plenty of examples.

Not something that I would use a lot, but an interesting use on a guitar that has been in its case for a couple years.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 AM

Captin... thanks for sharing these great pictures of your amazing x20 .... it really helped me understand the shape and proportions of the x20.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I played for a couple hours this morning. I am fortunate: my wife likes a daily concert while she gets ready and makes breakfast. (We each have our "jobs." )

I started with the GSmini in Nashville tuning. Still fun, but after about 20 minutes, I could feel the hard edge where the side meets the top digging into my forearm... I guess the built-in arm rest bevels have spoiled me.

Then, onto the X20. A slight bit of tuning with the Martin Lifespans, probably from slack take-up on the post. They held tune for the next hour and a half or so while I played. Yesterday, I played acoustically after putting the strings on; today, I played plugged in. These strings still don't seem to have the punch of the Elixirs, but while plugged in, I can EQ to get the sound I like. During that playing time, no "hard edges," no digging into my arm.

The Mini as a 1 11/16" nut and 23.5" scale; the X20 has 1 3/4" nut and 25.5" scale. No issue going between them.

Interesting to me that a small guitar with hard edges isn't as comfortable as a larger guitar with rounded edges and a bevel. It isn't just the size.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:51 PM

Solution: Another X7 dedicated to Nashville.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:09 PM

I used to pooh-pooh string winders - it's not that hard, is it? Then one time I was doing a sampling of several sets of strings and thought I'd get one of those manual ones. Humble pie time. What a life changer! I really don't know how I lived without one for so long. I still don't have a battery driven one but perhaps it's a good idea...
P.S. Yes, that is a fine looking X20.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Solution: Another X7 dedicated to Nashville.
That would be a solution. For as little as I would probably use this, might be better to get an X20 12-string and get the real experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I used to pooh-pooh string winders - it's not that hard, is it? Then one time I was doing a sampling of several sets of strings and thought I'd get one of those manual ones. Humble pie time. What a life changer! I really don't know how I lived without one for so long. I still don't have a battery driven one but perhaps it's a good idea...
P.S. Yes, that is a fine looking X20.
Yeah, I've been using a Planet Waves manual winder for a while and thought it was pretty slick... until using this power winder. I have guitars and strings - I'll put it to good use!

Thanks for the compliment on the X20. Of course, the credit for it goes to Alistair - I just happened to get to the "Buy It Now" button first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber