The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Default PA - home stereo

I have a fishman loudbox mini and want to buy either 2 speakers or small PA for home use only(music room). Want to double use guitar/iPod stereo. Need mixer? Can loudbox be used to EQ. Appreciate any suggestions Thanks
Old 09-08-2017, 05:12 PM

I keep my PA setup at home and I use it for our home stereo. I have a mixer and I have a laptop plugged into the mixer via the USB port. I also plug into the mixer an MP3 (old school) player. I also have a Loudbox Mini, it's not part of my home stereo. In my opinion, a mixer and speaker is the better option.

I bought a Harbinger powered speaker for camping, it has an RCA plug that I'm able to plug my old school MP3 player into. At Eclipse camp, I also had my Loudbox Mini with me. I had the Harbinger plugged into the Mini. I was quite pleased with the sound. When the eclipse started I played Pink Floyd's album, Dark Side of The Moon.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 09-08-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:19 PM

Thumbs up My Portable P.A. Monitor & Acoustic Guitar Amp & Home Stereo

I got the Mackie FreePlay primarily as a battery operated busking P.A. for acoustic guitar & vocals with a looper .
It's FX are really good and it's WIFI controllable too . 2 XLR/1/4TRS and AUX/WIFi in & a sum to mono 1/4 TS out .

It's a wonderful full sounding amp and loud as can be with 150 watts in stereo RMS and super clean . It stacks up quite well
next to the best sounding acoustic guitar amps period .

And then I thought to myself

I thought maybe I should try my Roland GR33 guitar synth through it . Again a big happy surprise . Sounds really great .

Then I got a T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3X and wondered what my electric guitar would sound like through it , another winner !

So sitting by my computer with headphones on , I thought why not see how this works as a monitor and again it's a winner .

I'm thinking now on adding a sub woofer for venues like coffee house gigs and small night clubs . The pole mount on
the sub allows the Mackie FreePlay to sit elevated solidly on top for a tight compact set up the screams seriously good sounds .

I'm really going to enjoy movies with the sub woofer and , my synth sounds are going to get cosmically powerful too with a subwoofer .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 09-10-2017, 04:32 PM

Red face Not All Amps Are Equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
I have a fishman loudbox mini and want to buy either 2 speakers or small PA for home use only(music room). Want to double use guitar/iPod stereo. Need mixer? Can loudbox be used to EQ. Appreciate any suggestions Thanks
Usually a amp set up primarily for a guitar ( whether acoustic or electric ) will have short comings as a full range amp for sound outside a given guitar's spectrum .

In your wanting to use your Fishman as a full range audio spectrum sound system may not work out completely but , I bet it will sound OK though
Old school street and night club guitarist did that all the time in the days when a decent amp was hard to find or expesive beyound a person's budget .

A P.A. is designed to handle :
  1. Voice
  2. Bass guitar , & guitar
  3. keyboards
  4. etcetera

that's why it will sound better as a vocalist's amp and guitar amp .

Hope this helps you understand better .

EZ :

HR

Old 09-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Thumbs up Portable Battery Powered P.A.'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I keep my PA setup at home and I use it for our home stereo. I have a mixer and I have a laptop plugged into the mixer via the USB port. I also plug into the mixer an MP3 (old school) player. I also have a Loudbox Mini, it's not part of my home stereo. In my opinion, a mixer and speaker is the better option.

I bought a Harbinger powered speaker for camping, it has an RCA plug that I'm able to plug my old school MP3 player into. At Eclipse camp, I also had my Loudbox Mini with me. I had the Harbinger plugged into the Mini. I was quite pleased with the sound. When the eclipse started I played Pink Floyd's album, Dark Side of The Moon.
[/url][/IMG]
To cool man , that was totally hip .

Yep these portable P.A.s are killer home theater systems huh !

EZ :

HR

Old 09-10-2017, 06:17 PM

My Loudbox mini has been plugged into my TV for the last three years. Sounds great. Had more people comment on my TV sound than my guitar sound. Hmm, could be ....ME!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

I got the Mackie FreePlay primarily as a battery operated busking P.A. for acoustic guitar & vocals with a looper .

It's FX are really good and it's WIFI controllable too . 2 XLR/1/4TRS and AUX/WIFi in & a sum to mono 1/4 TS out .

It's a wonderful full sounding amp and loud as can be with 150 watts in stereo RMS and super clean . It stacks up quite well

next to the best sounding acoustic guitar amps period .

And then I thought to myself

I thought maybe I should try my Roland GR33 guitar synth through it . Again a big happy surprise . Sounds really great .

Then I got a T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3X and wondered what my electric guitar would sound like through it , another winner !

So sitting by my computer with headphones on , I thought why not see how this works as a monitor and again it's a winner .

I'm thinking now on adding a sub woofer for venues like coffee house gigs and small night clubs . The pole mount on

the sub allows the Mackie FreePlay to sit elevated solidly on top for a tight compact set up the screams seriously good sounds .

I'm really going to enjoy movies with the sub woofer and , my synth sounds are going to get cosmically powerful too with a subwoofer .

EZ :

HR

That's a great idea. The balanced output from the FreePlay will supply the sub easily. Which sub are you buying. Does it have battery,
Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 AM

I've got a pair of Powerwerks/Kustom PA-50's that are good sized for a music room and can be connected in a few different ways. Can be either 'linked' mono or set up separately as stereo. I usually use these mounted on stands just for vocals with a Loudbox Mini doing the guitar by itself. I have tried the PA-50's with guitar, but it needs a bit of reverb for my taste and could be added with a pedal. I haven't tried the DI output of the Mini into the PA-50, but likely would work fine. Has AUX in for mp3/iPod which 'converts' stereo to mono, but with the proper cable could split the stereo out to two speakers.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...onal-pa-system

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification