The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Default CA OX or Emerald Opus X20?

I'd love to hear some "compare and contrast" comments regarding these two mid-sized CF models from folks who have experience with both.

Note: I realize there are highly regarded mid-sized RainSong models in this price range. Unfortunately, the flatish board (20" radius) on RainSongs makes them a non-starter for me when it comes to extended playing sessions (gigging).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 AM

I just happen to have an older OX, pre PV (loaned out right now) and an X-20. OX is smaller body and thinner neck and not as much bass.... 2 very different critters, both are great..... different enough to suggest you get both and be done with it... just sayin'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I just happen to have an older OX, pre PV (loaned out right now) and an X-20. OX is smaller body and thinner neck and not as much bass.... 2 very different critters, both are great..... different enough to suggest you get both and be done with it... just sayin'.
Thanks Mark. This is helpful. How much thicker is the neck on the X-20? Clubby?

How would the neck profiles on the Emerald & the CA compare to some traditional builders' neck profiles? Thanks.

A Little OT, but I have to express on-going frustration over the lack of CF guitars in shops around me. I am between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and I have never seen a CF guitar for sale!

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Guest 928

Ed;

I've had both the Ox and an X20. I agree with Mark, they are different animals, they are both good, and you probably should just give it up and get both.

As you note,there are few places with CF inventories. I recommend that people take a field trip to LA guitars and let Ted take them on a walk through most of what is available.

My own practice has been to buy what I want and then sell it to move along to the next best thing. I've had no problem selling CF guitars and I count the loss in my method as a rental fee. This method has taken me through most of the CF guitars and left me with two I can't let go--the RS parlor and the Emerald X20.

I'm trying to keep it down to two guitars and not sure what I'm going to do when Alistair finishes my custom Emerald electric. Maybe I'll shoot for three in my collection?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I own a CA Cargo and an Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck. Although these two guitars are not an OX or X20, I assume the necks are the same. If so, as I also own an '02 Taylor 814c, I consider that the CA is just slightly shallower than the Taylor, the Emerald just slightly thicker. No way I would describe the Emerald as clubbier. IMO, if you like a Taylor neck, you'll like a CA and Emerald neck.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I own a CA Cargo and an Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck. Although these two guitars are not an OX or X20, I assume the necks are the same. If so, as I also own an '02 Taylor 814c, I consider that the CA is just slightly shallower than the Taylor, the Emerald just slightly thicker. No way I would describe the Emerald as clubbier. IMO, if you like a Taylor neck, you'll like a CA and Emerald neck.
Thanks. I like the Taylor neck just fine. Sounds like the neck profile on these two models is similar enough to not be much of a factor. Since I like a more arched fretboard, I'd probably prefer the overall feel of the CA with its 14" radius, as opposed to the 16" radius on Emerald's board (which would still be just fine for me).

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
...snip...different enough to suggest you get both and be done with it... just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ed; I've had both the Ox and an X20. I agree with Mark, they are different animals, they are both good, and you probably should just give it up and get both...snip...
Okay...then...which of these two models would be the better "first CF guitar"? Which would you recommend one get first? Say for a solo/small ensemble singer/songwriter who plays roughly 65% strumming and 35% fingerstyle?

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Ed, if you opt for an OX, there's one that's been listed in the classifieds for quite some time that the owner keeps bumping. The price is great and I have no idea why it hasn't sold, except perhaps that those interested in CF guitars have become more interested in offerings by other builders. Here's the link: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=455485
Old 09-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I'd love to hear some "compare and contrast" comments regarding these two mid-sized CF models from folks who have experience with both.

Note: I realize there are highly regarded mid-sized RainSong models in this price range. Unfortunately, the flatish board (20" radius) on RainSongs makes them a non-starter for me when it comes to extended playing sessions (gigging).
Hi Ed,

For starters, the OX is a true Orchestra Model about the size of a Martin OM, while the x20 is much larger, about the size of the Taylor Grand Auditorium models. Tonally the OX has more mids, like a Martin, while the x20 doesn't try to hide it's carbon tone. The x20 being bigger will have more bass, but both will project equally well. The neck on the x20 is more of a D shape, while the OX has a true C shape.

I have an x20 in the shop that was made March of this year, as well as an OX or two, if you like, give me a call on Tuesday and I will give you an in hands description. I think you know me well enough to trust that I would not steer you wrong. If you decide on the OX, I would definitely snag Studio mans guitar. At $1100 shipped you can't go wrong.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Guest 928

Ed,

Ted tells it like it is. Get the CA. Bottom line, you'll always be able to sell the guitar for little if any loss. The Ox was well named, it plows many musical fields and is a very comfortable guitar. You will be amazed.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ed,

Ted tells it like it is. Get the CA. Bottom line, you'll always be able to sell the guitar for little if any loss. The Ox was well named, it plows many musical fields and is a very comfortable guitar. You will be amazed.
And almost thin and strong enough to plow an actual garden or two... maybe in the black dirt of Pine Island , NY anyway
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

For some actual numbers, the widest body width (at the lower bout) is often an indication of size...

CA Ox: 14.978"
Taylor GC: 15"
Taylor GA: 16"
Emerald X20: 15.25"

Body depth:

CA Ox: 3.748"
Taylor GC: 4 3/8"
Taylor GA: 4 5/8"
Emerald X20: 4 3/4"

Real world numbers is the CA Ox measures smaller than the others. The Emerald is between the GC and GA in width, 1/8" thicker than the GA in maximum depth. I don't have an Ox, but I do own each of the other 3... the X20 (my perspective) due to the curvature of the back, the rounded edges, and the designed-in arm-rest bevel feels more comfortable than either of the Taylors, and feels closer in size to the GC than the GA.

Sorry I can't give an accurate comparison of the Ox and the X20... I played one several years ago, for a short time. I recall thinking my RainSong Shorty was a better fit for me at the time.

I find the X20 to be a very comfortable, great-sounding guitar.

Hope that helps.

Jim
(a CF fan, not a dealer, no connection with any manufacturer, been playing for over 50 years, open to new options, and nowhere near as many guitars as Ted or Mark/Kramster... but I know what sounds/feels good to me)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Went with the CA OX RAW, and am thrilled!

Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback.

I decided to go with the CA OX, and was lucky enough to find a nice, used CA OX RAW ELE in mint condition, and I took delivery today.

What a neat, fun little guitar! I love the OX's rich mids, and its full, warm voice. Playability is outstanding (action is 5/64" under the low E with perfectly level frets), and I really like how the Baggs Stage Pro Element performs on this guitar. All positive initial impressions. I look forward to getting to know this guitar!

CA-OX-RAW-01.JPG CA-OX-RAW-04.JPG

CA-OX-RAW-06.JPG CA-OX-RAW-02.JPG

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Congrats, Ed! Use it in good health.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Way to go, Ed! Nice OX. Now that you're enjoying the kool-aid, you'll likely appreciate the broader CF offerings, so stick around...and try to resist buying another.

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-07-2017 at 03:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber