The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-29-2017, 06:29 PM

It's not like I've tried every set of headphones out there for comparison and I know there are many high-end sets that are better, but I'm liking my Audio-Technica M50x headphones for guitar practice. They're middle of the road price-wise...about $150.

I bought them to practice when others are home, but I've actually found I prefer to use them most of the time now. I can hear a lot more subtlety than I can when playing out through an amp. I use a Yamaha mixer in the middle to drive them, but I can crank it up to the point it's too loud for my ears before it starts to break up.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:16 PM

Another vote for Audio Technica but I recommend the M50X just because it has a detachable cable and they do sound way better than more expensive headphones.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:40 PM

I suggest something like the RockMan.... with whatever ear buds or head phones you choose. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rockman/

It is likely that no amplifier will avoid annoying your neighbors, especially now that they are sensitized to the issue. You have to find a way to make acceptable sound in your ears, not in your living room.

Consider a speaker with a typical sensitivity of 90 dB at one foot for 1 Watt of input power. Every doubling of power input raises the output sound levels by 3 decibels. You get the following sound pressure levels in your apartment (more or less depending on distance):
1 Watt = 90 dB
2 Watt = 93 dB
4 Watt = 96 dB
8 Watt = 99 dB
16 Watt = 102 dB
32 Watt = 105 dB
64 Watt = 108 dB
100 Watt = 110 dB

Since most apartment walls barely stop 40 dB of speech sound (and even less for amplified music) you are creating significant sound levels in your neighbor's unit regardless of how low you set your amp. Sorry -- blame physics, not me.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 PM

OP,

You may want to consider a power attenuator such as the THD Hot Plate. You connect it between your amp head and your speaker cab. This allows you to set your amp controls to the sweet spots that you like and use the power attenuator to control the signal level to your speaker. No headphones required.

PimaDreama
Old 08-31-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

It is likely that no amplifier will avoid annoying your neighbors, especially now that they are sensitized to the issue. You have to find a way to make acceptable sound in your ears, not in your living room.
That was his point. He's looking for headphones to use with his amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars