The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Amp For Both?

I'm sort of a newbie about acoustic guitar amps and was wondering if any of the ones on the market are suitable for both acoustic AND electric guitar. I'd like to have Loz mic and phantom power capabilities for my acoustic guitar but enough power and a heavy enough speaker for my electric when I play with my oldies duo using backing tracks. My present guitar amp which works just fine is a BOSS Katana 50 (12") but it would be nice to have one amp that would do both. The Katana has an 'acoustic' setting of sorts but no XLR input or phantom power.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Musical minimalist

The Line Six Amplifi series claim to do that.....regarding phantom power - as I stated in your other thread, you could use your Yamaha mixer if it has it (which it probably does)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...iABEgJM2_D_BwE

Last edited by fitness1; 07-28-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:36 PM

I have a fishman loudbox mini which I use for my acoustic and my electric. I do keep my electric sound "clean" so not sure if you need to dirty it up at all. It has an XLR input on a separate channel, although I don't think it has phantom power. It isn't super loud, but for a duo it's probably fine.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 07-28-2017, 06:42 PM

I use a Henriksen Bud for both acoustic and electric guitars. In my case, "electric" means a jazzbox with a floating pickup. I use a Tech21 SansAmp to dirty up the sound ever so slightly on the electric. One of the main reasons I do it this way is that the Henricksen is ported which gives it quite a lot of deep bass. This is really nice for my jazzbox thumb bass.

Quilter amps are also quite good on acoustic even though they are primarily for electric.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:31 PM

The Carvin PM10A does well with both:

https://carvinaudio.com/collections/...onitor-speaker

When I play an electric guitar through a P.A system, I use a signal processor, such as my Line6 Pocket Pod:

http://line6.com/pocket-pod/

...and back down the treble and boost the midrange, along with the right mix of distortion and effects. Ric
Old 07-29-2017, 12:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

My Carvin AG300 serves this purpose very well, in fact I was pleasantly surprised when I plugged in my recently purchased Prestige semi-hollow body (w/Alinco P-90s) using the the 3rd channel, which is supposedly designed for bass. I too play with a clean sound on the electric so if you need to dirty it up a bit you'll need some outboard gear. I love this amp! Acoustic/electric in channel one, mic in channel two (has phantom power), electric in channel three. Excellent sound, plenty of power.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:53 AM

Rivera Sedona amps, all tube for real Electric or Acoustic guitar amps in one combo - 55 watt or 25 watt.
http://www.rivera.com/product/combos/sedona-55/
I have a Sedona 55 and it's one of the most versatile amps you could own. for Electric guitar ch1 is Marshall voiced, classic mid-forward tone. Ch2 is Fender voiced, slightly mid-scooped as in Blackface tone. For Acoustic you pull out the "Frequency" pot on ch2 and it activates a tweeter and becomes a dedicated acoustic guitar amp. Doyle Dykes used this amp exclusively for many years, Doyle know acoustic tone. If you play both electric and acoustic guitars live, this amp will simplify you life and will sound amazing doing so. Very satisfied customer here.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 PM

Just be sure the amp you choose has a "clean" sound, with no effects, as an option.

My (old) tunes
Old 09-04-2017, 10:50 PM

So what about the Katana? Is the acoustic setting designed for acoustic guitar or to make an electric sound acoustic? I am considering getting this amp so some reviews would be great too.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but this review might answer some questions about the Katana that went unanswered above.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:08 AM

If I wanted to do that, and assuming by electric you mean solid body guitar with conventional rock electric guitar timbres, I'd use an outboard modeler for the electric sounds into the acoustic amp. An acoustic guitar amp is more or less a PA in a box (though they usually can't handle a lot of bass energy).

As a practical matter, when playing both electric and acoustic, I go through an electric guitar amp with the electric guitar and the acoustic guitar to Fishman preamp box to the vocal PA. From the sound of it you're trying to avoid having to deal with a PA.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
If I wanted to do that, and assuming by electric you mean solid body guitar with conventional rock electric guitar timbres, I'd use an outboard modeler for the electric sounds into the acoustic amp. .
What would be an example of that, if you don't mind?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:51 PM

There are so many of them that any list has to suffer from exclusions, and the impossibility of tracking all the models. And some are better for certain kinds of amp sounds, size, ease of use, amount and quality of additional effects.

I've personally used the old Pod 2.0 kidney-bean a fair amount in the past. Lots of them still around used. I use a Fender Mustang III combo amp sometimes nowadays, but there in no small box no-speaker Mustang modeler, though they did a floorboard model.

A lot of folks speak highly of newer, more expensive rack mount units like AxeSys or the Kemper Profiler. I've not bonded with more recent Line6 amp modeling, but I haven't tried their newest top of the line stuff at all. Lots of the older generation rack-mount amp modelers around used too, and Sweetwater has been offering the Avid Eleven rack for $350 for months now, but that's another one I haven't used.

Some even gig with a laptop or iPad, amp modeling software, and an interface.

Analog, non-modeling, options are out there too, Sansamp has already been mentioned.

I get the sense the OP just wants to use an acoustic amp for electric, acoustic and vocals for simplicities sake over getting ideal sound, though maybe I'm wrong. And he's complicated it by saying the amp should handle a vocal mic too. A lot would depend on specific needs. Like: is this a 50/50 acoustic and rock electric set list or just needing electric for one song?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-22-2018, 10:10 AM

The basic difference between electric and acoustic amps is a tweeter. Acoustic amps have them electric amps do not.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM

I've been having fun with a Marshall as100d acoustic amp. 2x8" speakers thru 50 watts per side stereo. Four channels will take acoustic guitars, semi hollow jazzer, mic, and RCA jacks for aux input. Has a so-so reverb, delay and chorus group. A full array of outs and effects loop, DI and speaker out on the back panel for all your hookup needs. Heavy as heck(close to 50lbs.), so be warned. I run a mic and acoustic guitar into a TCH Play Acoustic then XLR's into channels one 1/4" plug(needs converter on end of XLR)channel two(mic, XLR connector)semi hollow from pedal board into channel three 1/4" plug. May work for you?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification