The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
You may be right. I'm repeating what Mackie tech support told AeroUSA. I don't have one in front of me to test, yet. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The input will most probably be wired on a board that has an instrument trace directly wired to the quarter inch and a seperate mic channel trace that the xlr pins wire to.

It's too bad that Mackie shut their user forum down (From too many customer insults directed at the DL mixers and DLM speakers is what I was just reading). We could have a quick answer if it was still there. Shutting it down doesn't bode well for the company, done under the LOUD technologies consolidation. Seems like Mackie and Behringer were aiming in opposite directions though directly at each other. That's what it looks like I should say.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
The input will most probably be wired on a board that has an instrument trace directly wired to the quarter inch and a seperate mic channel trace that the xlr pins wire to.

It's too bad that Mackie shut their user forum down (From too many customer insults directed at the DL mixers and DLM speakers is what I was just reading). We could have a quick answer if it was still there. Shutting it down doesn't bode well for the company, done under the LOUD technologies consolidation. Seems like Mackie and Behringer were aiming in opposite directions though directly at each other. That's what it looks like I should say.

That seems totally reasonable. Behringer is improving. Mackie needs to redesign all their preamps and onboard mixers. If you've got a workaround for their mixers, and can get a good deal, I think the other features are good enough to use them. But I won't pay full price for this Mackie stuff. Too many boneheaded short cuts.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Double post somehow...

Last edited by dannyg1; 06-09-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Arrow

Quote:
That seems totally reasonable. Behringer is improving. Mackie needs to redesign all their preamps and onboard mixers. If you've got a workaround for their mixers, and can get a good deal, I think the other features are good enough to use them. But I won't pay full price for this Mackie stuff. Too many boneheaded short cuts.

I think that's the best way to deal with the problems Mackie is putting out there now as well. To simplify, it's voting with your dollars. Telling Mackie that they've got the right ideas and probably good designers but somewhere down the line, the finished product is getting out hobbled.

They do know how to make good stuff. Did you know Mackie makes your Touchmix8? That's the word on the LAB at least. That's a very well thought of mixer, excepting the power supply problems. The Reach should've been a bust out product, same for the DLM8.

I'm a little shy about this running an instrument pre into a DI and then the xlr of the Freeplay. I have a feeling it's going to overload easily. I think you might need to run the DI out to the quarter inch so as to keep a bit of headroom. It could be exactly the opposite too, that being the line level in has little headroom before it craps out. You guys will be our frontline weather reporters.

There are two or three inexpensive passive DI boxes, 2 behringers -1 for $20 and another 'acoustic' version with some images and eq built ln for $30, and a $40 Motu, all over on Sweet-water and that all do quarter in and quarter out. Knowing about them could save you a minute if your TC doesn't run out to quarter inch.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 PM

Default PSA: Mackie Freeplay refurbs $189, free ship

I bought the $20 Behringer passive DI. Arrived today. Haven't tried it. I didn't see the acoustic version, but I probably am better off with the basic. I am using aura imaging, so I don't need EQ. Hopefully, I win one of the Freeplays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 06-09-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I bought the $20 Behringer passive DI. Arrived today. Haven't tried it. I didn't see the acoustic version, but I probably am better off with the basic. I am using aura imaging, so I don't need EQ. Hopefully, I win one of the Freeplays.

You're using an Aura Spectrum? I'd have thought you'd use the PlaynAcoustic as your DI. You can get a lithium power bank that'll directly power it for $60.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0093...%2C+12v%2C+15v
Old 06-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
You're using an Aura Spectrum? I'd have thought you'd use the PlaynAcoustic as your DI. You can get a lithium power bank that'll directly power it for $60.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0093...%2C+12v%2C+15v
So this doesn't come with a battery?
Old 06-09-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
So this doesn't come with a battery?
The TC Helicon Play Acoustic is intended to be plugged into AC only, from my memory. I could be completely wrong about that.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
The TC Helicon Play Acoustic is intended to be plugged into AC only, from my memory. I could be completely wrong about that.
Whoops, I meant the refurb freeplays. Battery or no?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Whoops, I meant the refurb freeplays. Battery or no?
No. There's at least one guy who bought a refurb Free-play, this is from Mackie themselves mind you, who says that it doesn't come with an AC adaptor either. The included D cell tray is the only way to make in run, in this particular auction anyway.

It doesn't make much sense that they're sending them out without the brick (possibly this is what breaks often?), but the warning stands. A buyer posted it so I'm assuming that it's true for them all. If not, then good.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 PM

I typically use the TC Play Acoustic as my (do everything) DI and processor. I haven't found anything that works better for me yet, so I have no other acoustic guitar processors.

However, in anticipation of getting a FreePlay, or for use with the DLM8, I bought a passive transformner DI.

I have one Martin guitar that has the Aura F1 Plus system in it. It doesn't need and outboard processing. I was hoping to use the Passive DI to increase the gain on the Mackie DLM buy sending a balanced signal. I tried it and it didn't seem to make a difference. The Mackie DLM seems too make the TRS/TS a little hotter. Strange inconsistency.

The Passive DI should engage the preamp in the FreePlay, and give you the 20 dB bump. Since I would intend to use the FreePlay on battery, I wanted to try a passive DI first. I may, in the future, consider a Fishman Platinum Stage DI to keep in the guitar case for instances when I am plugging into a PA with limited gain, or no available DI.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:37 PM

Evidently, the refurbished units DO come with the power cord, according to the listing. No other accessories.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I typically use the TC Play Acoustic as my (do everything) DI and processor. I haven't found anything that works better for me yet, so I have no other acoustic guitar processors.

However, in anticipation of getting a FreePlay, or for use with the DLM8, I bought a passive transformner DI.

I have one Martin guitar that has the Aura F1 Plus system in it. It doesn't need and outboard processing. I was hoping to use the Passive DI to increase the gain on the Mackie DLM buy sending a balanced signal. I tried it and it didn't seem to make a difference. The Mackie DLM seems too make the TRS/TS a little hotter. Strange inconsistency.

The Passive DI should engage the preamp in the FreePlay, and give you the 20 dB bump. Since I would intend to use the FreePlay on battery, I wanted to try a passive DI first. I may, in the future, consider a Fishman Platinum Stage DI to keep in the guitar case for instances when I am plugging into a PA with limited gain, or no available DI.

Is there some sort of a gain dip switch on the DI itself?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Is there some sort of a gain dip switch on the DI itself?

Nope. The switch is for ground lift. I'll play with it a little.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Evidently, the refurbished units DO come with the power cord, according to the listing. No other accessories.

There's a guy that wrote his didn't come with the AC brick and that Mackie couldn't/wouldn't send him one and that he was mulling whether or not he o keep it as he really wants to buy/use the lithium option but needs the brick to do that. YMMV.

On dipswitches, they're usually inside the box itself, not adjustable from the outside.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification