The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 AM

Default Does anyone else have a digital subscription to Acoustic Guitar?

I got an email for a digital only subscription and took advantage. The interface is horrible. Access is in the middle of a page full of other stuff, and when I try to make the page big enough to read, the text is fuzzy. Is there a better way to view the mag?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

I felt the same way. I've now resubscribed to the old fashioned paper model and expect it in another few weeks. Being that I spend a lot of time working by computer, I thought the online sub was a good idea at the time, but it didn't live up to what I hoped.For about $25 a year, I'd rather have the paper.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 AM

I subscribed and was pretty disappointed in the online magazine. I emailed them and with no problem whatsoever they put my subscription Fee towards the print version which in my opinion is great.
To be absolutely fair I was trying to avoid the extra delivery fee they put on Canadian subscriptions when I ordered the online version. (I must have needed those extra nickles for something else) I am sure that tech savvy readers with the proper equipment would enjoy the digital version.

Last edited by Gasworker; 11-04-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Made the decision for Hard Copy, and now glad I did.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM

Sorry to hear about the experience. How much is the online subscription?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM

I subscribe to the digital magazine. I read it on an Ipad(3) and find the resolution to be crisp and legible in both portrait and landscape views. Though small, the type is readable and easily zoomed where needed.

I have noticed that on page turns a moment is needed for the new page to render crisply. Slightly less than a second I imagine- and I suspect that those with the Ipad (4) with its significantly faster processor would not even notice that delay..

Sorry the digital subscription did not work out for you.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar digital

Glad I read this thread. I too got the invite by email and was in the process of making a decision to order it or not..
Decision made.. NOT...

thanks..

G
Old 11-04-2012, 12:58 PM

I thought that it would be nice to have on my tablet while traveling, but the readability is so poor, that it is pretty much a waste. I think I will call them and convert to a print subscription, also.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Which reminds me . . . I seem to have stopped receiving "Wood and Steel". Do they drop you after a certain number of years, or something?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 PM

I deleted that email right away. I don't want to be tied to the computer to read the magazine. The guitar reviews are already available on YouTube.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Default Tried it for a year, dropped it

I really did not find it very usefull, I like to read the hard copy when relaxing at home, too busy at work to use it on the computer. The added cost was not worth it. If if was like Consumer Reports, it comes free with the regular sub, I would possibly use it. I seldom use the CR one however.
73 Guild Starfire 3
Alvarez Acoustic Bass
G & L Jazz Bass
Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Wood N Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jasper View Post
Which reminds me . . . I seem to have stopped receiving "Wood and Steel". Do they drop you after a certain number of years, or something?
Don't believe so. I am still getting it since 1996 no problem.. mine did go astray one time as someone changed the address for some reason...

also on my last one (received last week) somehow my postal code got changed so it went to another province for a week or so delay..

sent Taylor an email to adjust..
Old 11-05-2012, 04:01 PM

I have both. I travel a great deal and enjoy having access on my laptop. I think the interface is fine, if perhaps a little awkward. Sadly the days of affordable printed magazines may be going away. So publishers will have to get the online formatting spiffier (is that a word?) if they want to charge.
Ibanez AS73
Rugg & Jackel Mountain Dulcimer
Lanikai LKP-C Koa Concert Ukulele
Stagi A-20 Concertina
Chinese Erhu (...no, I don't know why I own one either...!)

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe"
Lao Tsu

"If not us, who? If not now, when?
Ronald Regan on procrastination in buying yet another guitar...
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

My print subscription to Acoustic Guitar magazine ended with the December issue so when the January 2013 issue showed up in the iPad application today I decided to try it. I really enjoyed reading the magazine using the app. I have tired old eyes but was able to read it very clearly on my 4th generation iPad. Also loved the multimedia links. I've gone with the yearly digital subscription for $19.99 - cheaper that what they offered my for renewal of my dead tree edition.
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahobbs View Post
I subscribe to the digital magazine. I read it on an Ipad(3) and find the resolution to be crisp and legible in both portrait and landscape views. Though small, the type is readable and easily zoomed where needed.

I have noticed that on page turns a moment is needed for the new page to render crisply. Slightly less than a second I imagine- and I suspect that those with the Ipad (4) with its significantly faster processor would not even notice that delay..

Sorry the digital subscription did not work out for you.
Sounds like everyone else is trying to read it on a PC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion