The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-03-2017, 04:45 PM

Default Concerning Restringing

The other restring thread got me thinking... many CFs..maybe all...have non adjustable necks.

Normally with a wooden guitar if you change the strings by say two sizes up or down it requires some adjustment to the neck.

But what about CFs? How much string change would cause a problem? For example as I understand it my CA was originally strung with 11s, i use 12s and have seen no difference in the neck...but what if I was to suddenly drop to say 10s ? or keep going up to 13s?

and what happens if you do need a neck adjustment on a guitar with no truss rod?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Rainsong, Emerald, Journey and Blackbird (at least the El Capitan ekoa model) have truss rods. Composite Acoustics do not.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

The CF necks are stiff - I'm not aware of any string gauge change that would be an issue. I recall reading about some early CF guitars (don't recall the make) that had some issues with the neck not being properly set from the mfg. Barring that, I don't think it would be an issue.

My RainSong came with the action considerably higher than my preference. A change of saddle, lowering that quite a bit, and a very minor tweak on the neck. While I often hear that carbon fiber guitars don't really need a truss rod, I like knowing it's there.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I've had lights, mediums and bluegrass gauge on my Rainsong H-ws with no noticeable movement. I think a lot of us have tried lights and mediums on the smaller (X-7, Cargo, etc) guitars. Never heard of a problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber